Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 13:41   #61

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: An American in Canadian waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
A friend of ours has recently been allowed into Canadian waters..but with some tribulations...

“Yesterday, July 4, 2020, the Canadian government granted us the privilege to transit through British Columbian waters to Alaska. For several weeks before we monitored Canadian press to gauge their mood on allowing Americans to enter across the closed border and it was not heartening. They saw the increasing number of cases and the lack of social distancing as a sign that we were not taking necessary virus precautions. They also saw a number of Americans who were given permission to transit through Canada abuse their limited contact agreement by engaging in recreation and going to pubs. A Canadian epidemiologist seen on TV recommended that no Americans be allowed into Canada until there was either a vaccine or herd immunity.

At the border we pled our case and the Border Services agreed to allow us to transit as long as we had NO contact with Canadians. We can do that over 8 days because we have plenty of fuel and provisions. But there was one very troubling aspect of our interchange with the Border Services. They recommended that we strike our American flag because they feared we’d be harassed by Canadians not appreciative of having virus ner-do-wells amongst them. It was very sad to hear that we should not proudly fly our flag, especially on Independence Day. We’ve always found Canadians to be friendly and helpful. It appears their mood has changed.

As I pondered the situation, I came to realize that as we celebrate the INDEPENDENT spirit of our forefathers and the establishment of our Nation, it is time that we take our DEPENDENCE seriously. Now is not the time to independently make unhealthy decisions such as attending mass gatherings, not wearing a mask, and ignoring health warnings. Now is the time to depend on each other to practice the guidance given us by health care professionals.

On this Independence weekend, let’s all make a vow of dependence so we can rely on each other to do the right things needed to beat this virus.“
There could be a lot going on here: resentment that while the Canadians worked hard to hold down corona virus US citizens, many of them, including high administration officials, have not, and the media coverage of the careless behavior of American citizen and leaders has certainly been extensive.

Additionally, the current administration of the US has gone out of it's way to insult and show disrespect for Canada, its citizens and its leaders. Should we be surprised that there is resentment towards the USA. Is it not reasonable that they no longer see us as their friends? (In fact, the US has very few friends among foreign countries these days, they can all be expected to do things to spite us rather than help us.)

Finally, when things are difficult for people, they often seek someone else to blame for it, and we, from the US, are good targets, and frankly we should not complain if people see someone else to blame and that blame falls on our shoulders. After all we set the tone for the last few years by blaming virtually everything on someone, anyone, else, and not infrequently, on foreigners.

We are reaping what we sow.
Old 06-07-2020, 13:42   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
How?

it’s not airborne, so unless the waiter was licking his utensils after he ate with them or something, or maybe 70 year olds just after surgery asked the captain to French kiss them, or they don’t believe in basic hygiene, I’m just not seeing it

Ether way dude went out for breakfast, BFD, there is a reason the authorizes this person whined too didn’t even bother to drive over.
Covid can be airborne.

Quote:
We have elucidated the transmission pathways of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) by analyzing the trend and mitigation measures in the three epicenters. Our results show that the airborne transmission route is highly virulent and dominant for the spread of COVID-19. The mitigation measures are discernable from the trends of the pandemic. Our analysis reveals that the difference with and without mandated face covering represents the determinant in shaping the trends of the pandemic. This protective measure significantly reduces the number of infections. Other mitigation measures, such as social distancing implemented in the United States, are insufficient by themselves in protecting the public. Our work also highlights the necessity that sound science is essential in decision-making for the current and future public health pandemics.
https://www.pnas.org/content/117/26/14857
Old 06-07-2020, 13:47   #63

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

It’s spread by respiratory droplets. If you ain’t sneezing and coughing all over the place you arnt exactly shooting too many of those out.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...d-spreads.html

And if you’re not 70+ with medical issues it’s a feels like poop for a few weeks kinda thing.

Hence why no one bothered to show up after the Karen called the government on the guy having breakfast.
Old 06-07-2020, 14:00   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
It’s spread by respiratory droplets. If you ain’t sneezing and coughing all over the place you arnt exactly shooting too many of those out.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...d-spreads.html

And if you’re not 70+ with medical issues it’s a feels like poop for a few weeks kinda thing.

Hence why no one bothered to show up after the Karen called the government on the guy having breakfast.
If you are breathing you can spread it.

From the Washington Post:

The Washington Post
Coronavirus Updates
Important developments in the pandemic.

Avi Selk By Avi Selk
with Angela Fritz
Email
The Post's coronavirus coverage linked in this newsletter is free to access from this email.

The latest
After 28 straight days of rising infection averages, with no solution in sight, President Trump's political strategists are betting that Americans will simply get used to an uncontrolled pandemic before he stands for reelection in November, our politics desk reported Monday.

........even people with no apparent symptoms can spread the disease to others or fall suddenly ill. And the leading effort to develop a vaccine in the U.S. relies on an elegant but unproven new genetic technology.

Other important news
More than 200 scientists from around the world urged the World Health Organization to consider evidence that the coronavirus may be airborne — capable of spreading through tiny particles that can float around indoors without detection.

Over 70? Nick Cordero is but one example of a younger person dying from it. He was 41.
Old 06-07-2020, 14:05   #65

Boat: Lancer 36

OH MY GAWD!!!! HE HAD BREAKFAST??!! Guess they will have to nuke that place to clean up the infestation now.....
It is amazing what attitudes can be engendered from freely spent CIA black ops funding, Soros money, and Chinese and International communist filthy lucre...we see you, and you are going down. Canada...do something about your leader who likes to rub his body on sweaty African men.....
Old 06-07-2020, 14:15   #66

Quote:
Please read what you post

Quote:
We are still learning about how the virus spreads and the severity of illness it causes.
Quote:
Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks.
Old 06-07-2020, 14:19   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
OH MY GAWD!!!! HE HAD BREAKFAST??!! Guess they will have to nuke that place to clean up the infestation now.....
It is amazing what attitudes can be engendered from freely spent CIA black ops funding, Soros money, and Chinese and International communist filthy lucre...we see you, and you are going down. Canada...do something about your leader who likes to rub his body on sweaty African men.....

Help! I think OloteleMtn is having some sort of seizure.
Old 06-07-2020, 14:25   #68

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Quote:
it’s not airborne
Are you sure?

Voice of America: Scientists Say Coronavirus is Airborne.
https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/scientists-say-coronavirus-airborne
Old 06-07-2020, 14:29   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Help! I think OloteleMtn is having some sort of seizure.
It is called being awake (as opposed to "woke") It is amazing what one can learn in the course of 20 plus years of research.
For the record, i do not approve of disregarding the customs and immigration policies of sovereign nations; i only hope they are reasonable. Those who break a nation's laws should be held accountable. I also hope that we keep in mind who our real friends are and not continue to lose our minds in the current crisis.
Old 06-07-2020, 15:00   #70

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

"It was recommended that we strike our flag".

No one ordered it.
It was not a condition for admittance to a sovereign country.
It seems to me that it was a "heads up" that could be accepted or rejected as the captain of the boat wished.

"Recommend" according to the Merriam Webster Dictionary,"to suggest an act or course of action"
"Suggest" according to the same dictionary "to mention or imply as a possibility, to propose as desirable or fitting, to offer for consideration or as a hypothesis"

All this outrage over a suggestion, a mention, a proposal or an offer for consideration.
Old 06-07-2020, 15:08   #71

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Canadia can do what it wants, so can the USA.
Ooh Canadia! Burn! And you do know the topic is Canada, not the US right?

Quote:
For the record, i do not approve of disregarding the customs and immigration policies of sovereign nations; i only hope they are reasonable.
Hope away. But I am going to guess you are destined to be disappointed.
Old 06-07-2020, 15:12   #72

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
"It was recommended that we strike our flag".

No one ordered it.
It was not a condition for admittance to a sovereign country.
It seems to me that it was a "heads up" that could be accepted or rejected as the captain of the boat wished.

Exactly. It's what I've been repeating. I don't understand all this outrage over this nonexistent insult. The CBSA officer was attempting to help the American boat by making a helpful, practical, suggestion. There was no demand.

If you don't want to accept the advice, then be prepared to face the possible consequences, which in this case would be some scowly, passive aggressive looks from normally friendly Canadians.
Old 06-07-2020, 15:24   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Ooh Canadia! Burn! And you do know the topic is Canada, not the US right?

Hope away. But I am going to guess you are destined to be disappointed.
Actually, if you can read proficiently, you will note that the topic is "An American in Canadian waters". And why am i destined to be disappointed? Doesn't hope spring eternal? Having been pretty severely disappointed over the last several decades, if there were no hope on the horizon, it would be hard to press on.
The Canadia thing use to be funny; i guess the communists took your sense of humor too.
Old 06-07-2020, 15:52   #74

Quote:
The Canadia thing use to be funny; i guess the communists took your sense of humor too.
That was funny.

1) What communists? That last communist elected to the Canadian Parliament was Fred Rose in 1943 and 1945.
2) Be a good neighbour. Learn to spell "humour".
Old 06-07-2020, 16:27   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
That was funny.

1) What communists? That last communist elected to the Canadian Parliament was Fred Rose in 1943 and 1945.
2) Be a good neighbour. Learn to spell "humour".
Jackdale, I admire your stamina!

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Closed Thread

Tags
water