Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 10:09   #31

Re: An American in Canadian waters

Unfortunately it is members of the cruising community like in the attached link, that define others. The ‘striking the flag’ comment, would have been a comment from an individual, not a Recommended policy from the department.
It is true that there are folk here that might take umbrage at seeing a US flag, but... you’re not likely to be shot or vandalized. If reporting to the RCMP and a subsequent follow up is carried out, then I really don't see an issue

https://matangitonga.to/2020/07/04/a...-sailing-tonga
Old 06-07-2020, 10:11   #32

Putting Covid 19 aside for a moment...no country is tougher to deal with at borders than the USA and at the drop of a hat you can be sent home and banned from entry for 5 years...so as an American it’s probably not a great idea to be lecturing others on how to deal with border rules and regulations as yours are the toughest we know of. That said, those are American rules and while at times difficult to stomach it’s not our job as Canadians to decide on how your society should deal with non Americans entering your country. If we wish to have the privilege To enter America we know we must honour your rules and regulations...it’s not that hard and we do want to be respectful.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:18   #33

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I don't know what a "Canadian Karen" is NM, but I think I get your sense. But I don't understand your second sentence. The CBSA officer simply made a suggestion that would make the transiting boat's passage go smoothly. It's not a question of offending someone. It's about avoiding any unnecessary misunderstandings.

Like I said, I don't appreciate this fear-based (over)reaction some are having to visitors, but I also understand why this is happening. Canadians have suffered and sacrificed to bring Covid-19 under control. We are now beginning to reap the tentative benefits of all this collective restraint. The last thing we want is to see all this effort go to naught.
What misunderstandings?

I would also wager if the tables were turned and a Americans customs person said a Canadian or Mexican vessel should strike down its flag, you’d have tons of big city Americans saying “I’m so ashamed of my country” or others (myself included) saying how unacceptable that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Putting Covid 19 aside for a moment...no country is tougher to deal with at borders than the USA and at the drop of a hat you can be sent home and banned from entry for 5 years...so as an American it’s probably not a great idea to be lecturing others on how to deal with border rules and regulations as yours are the toughest we know of. That said, those are American rules and while at times difficult to stomach it’s not our job as Canadians to decide on how your society should deal with non Americans entering your country. If we wish to have the privilege To enter America we know we must honour your rules and regulations...it’s not that hard and we do want to be respectful.

True, but telling a American to strike down their flag is not respectful, I’ll give the customs guy the benefit of the doubt that he probably had good intentions, but if it was just advice I’d just thank him, but politely dismiss it, if it was a requirement for entry I’d withdraw my application to enter their country.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:28   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
True, but telling a American to strike down their flag is not respectful, I’ll give the customs guy the benefit of the doubt that he probably had good intentions, but if it was just advice I’d just thank him, but politely dismiss it, if it was a requirement for entry I’d withdraw my application to enter their country.
That’s the beauty of the system, your free to make a choice

You can be very sure a Canadian Customs official is not going to tell you to strike your flag, just wouldn’t happen.
Back in the days of the Gulf War which was extremely unpopular we had American cruisers in the South Pacific asking for spare Canadian flags.
There was a deep insecurity felt by many American cruisers at that time and being so far from home and no help from the USA Coast Guard really ramped it up. So this flag thingy can work both ways.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:34   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
What misunderstandings?

People along the route may falsely believe this American boat has entered improperly, and/or is not obeying our rather strict approach to the pandemic. There is already ample examples of people reacting based on this perception. This is the "misunderstanding."

Rightly or wrongly, it is happening, and as I've tried to explain, is also quite understandable given the current situation both countries find themselves in.

Quote:
I would also wager if the tables were turned and a Americans customs person said a Canadian or Mexican vessel should strike down its flag, you’d have tons of big city Americans saying “I’m so ashamed of my country” or others (myself included) saying how unacceptable that is.
I certainly can't speak for what some of your fellow citizens might say. And I don't see the relevance to this discussion.

Quote:
I don't think the CBSA has the authority to demand a boat lower its national flag. It was clearly meant as a suggestion that would benefit the American boat owner. But if this suggestion so offended the boat owner, they certainly could choose to NOT enter this country.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:54   #36

Boat: Alden 44

There is a big difference in the US and CA restrictions:
Canadian nationals may continue to enter the U.S. from Canada provided they have not been physically present in China, Iran, Ireland, the United Kingdom, or the Schengen Area in the 14 days preceding their attempted entry to the United States. You can travel to and may be permitted to enter Canada.May 26, 2020
https://help.cbp.gov › Article-1596
Wishing I was trapped in CA, where I left my boat , instead of sheltering in place in Arizona!
Old 06-07-2020, 10:56   #37

Boat: Alden 44

Canadians can fly or boat across the border, only car traffic is stopped.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:04   #38

Gee, I didn't hear any Arizonians complain about the "boatloads" of NOBS who winter in the U.S., just sayin' regardless of where you're from there are always those who feel they're above any rules or laws set in place to protect the general population. I've bent the rules during the pandemic as most have, just would be nice if those violators would practice good personal hygiene, something I've noticed many don't. For the most part we'll get through this unscathed but we need to respect others, regardless of nationality.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:05   #39

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
"Medical professionals" told us it was just a bad flu; that we didn't need nor should wear masks, that travel bans were unnecessary and racist, etc. etc. Meanwhile other medical professionals claim that science has not shown that the novel coronavirus is even responsible for the various manifestations of disease; that people were intentionally killed by unnecessary intubation for vents; that deaths unrelated to COVID were counted as COVID deaths etc. etc. There is more going on than meets the eye. Irrational fear is often used to control agendas, while flaunting rules is generally not well considered.Most Canadians are sincerely nice people, but they are not immune to the media reports regarding COVID that paint the US (particularly in red states) as out of control hotbeds of COVID.
This is why people from the USA are getting a hostile reception in Canada, you may be OK but we keep hearing such nonsense from south of the border. If you are from the USA how do we know if you are missinformed or just plain crazy, fact is the the inability of the states to deal with COVID 19 makes you dangerous and the rest of the world is going to quarentien you as much as possible untill that changes. It is entirly your concern whether you take this seriously and get it sorted but it is reasonable that the rest of us treat you this way until you do.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:11   #40

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1309 View Post
There is a big difference in the US and CA restrictions:
Canadian nationals may continue to enter the U.S. from Canada provided they have not been physically present in China, Iran, Ireland, the United Kingdom, or the Schengen Area in the 14 days preceding their attempted entry to the United States. You can travel to and may be permitted to enter Canada.May 26, 2020
https://help.cbp.gov › Article-1596
Wishing I was trapped in CA, where I left my boat , instead of sheltering in place in Arizona!
I did not know this. Thanks, I try to learn something new every day and now I'm good til tomorrow!~
Old 06-07-2020, 11:23   #41

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
This is why people from the USA are getting a hostile reception in Canada, you may be OK but we keep hearing such nonsense from south of the border. If you are from the USA how do we know if you are missinformed or just plain crazy, fact is the the inability of the states to deal with COVID 19 makes you dangerous and the rest of the world is going to quarentien you as much as possible untill that changes. It is entirly your concern whether you take this seriously and get it sorted but it is reasonable that the rest of us treat you this way until you do.
Is the person coughing? Are they trying to lick you? Attack you?
If no, I’d move on to whatever else there is to worry about in life.

I think folks needs to turn their TVs off and get off the Facebook.

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs when a group forms a quick opinion that matches the group consensus, rather than critically evaluating the information. Mass hysteria can be seen as an extreme example of groupthink.”

https://www.verywellmind.com/underst...pthink-2671595
Old 06-07-2020, 11:24   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Let me say a bit more about my friend..he’s not only a high school classmate but also a retired USCG Admiral..so being told to strike our Nations ‘Colors’ while in Canadian waters is probably a major ‘Big Pill’ for him to swallow..
I read with your original post and your friend seems to have a far better understanding than many people here. He seems to understand that the Canadian attitude which is we are all in this together and it's up to me to see that the other fellow is safe. He understands that Canadians sacrificed a lot and have been rewarded for that sacrifice. Our numbers are steadily going down even though we are opening up. We still practice social distancing, washing hands and wear masks when in public.

He laments being advised that it might not be a good idea to fly the American Flag in Canadian waters. He wasn't told he couldn't, just advised it may not be a good idea. His position is that it's sad that many Americans still don't take the pandemic seriously not that Canadians take it too seriously and that has led to most Canadians feeling that Americans have been totally irresponsible when dealing with covid 19. In British Colombia only 6% want to allow Americans into Canada.

Follow your friends advice and Americans won't be advised to strike their colours.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:38   #43

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Is the person coughing? Are they trying to lick you? Attack you?
If no, I’d move on to whatever else there is to worry about in life.

I think folks needs to turn their TVs off and get off the Facebook.

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs when a group forms a quick opinion that matches the group consensus, rather than critically evaluating the information. Mass hysteria can be seen as an extreme example of groupthink.”

https://www.verywellmind.com/underst...pthink-2671595
What part of sovereign country don't you get? You choose to think what you want and that's fine with me and with the majority of Canadians. But the majority of Canadians don't want people who think like you transiting our borders. It's pretty simple. Call us Karens, brainwashed or simply ignorant—heck you could even be right, and it doesn't change the fact that as a sovereign nation we can choose not to let people in for whatever reasons we choose..
Old 06-07-2020, 11:41   #44

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

As i understand it, the Inside passage is International waters, even thought it passes thru Canada, and the Canadian government can not stop a vessel from transiting to Alaska, although one must inform Canada of the intended said passage.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:47   #45

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1309 View Post
Canadians can fly or boat across the border, only car traffic is stopped.
Ummmm. No. Boat, plane or car, you still have to have a valid reason (as determined by the CBSA), quarantine for 14 days and go directly to whatever your stated destination was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
As i understand it, the Inside passage is International waters, even thought it passes thru Canada, and the Canadian government can not stop a vessel from transiting to Alaska, although one must inform Canada of the intended said passage.
Ummm. No.
Closed Thread

Tags
water