Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-12-2015, 02:37   #22

Re: A Open Heart Monologue On The Final Decision

I can assure you that most boats are not in the condition, or equipped and so that the owner requires for their mission. It may not be a restoration per se... but boat people are almost always constantly fitting out, fixing, improving and so on their boats. Few to none buy a boat, turn the key and that's it. In fact that is very counter to the zen of sailing or being a boat person. It is engagement WITH the boat and while living or sailing it is engagement with the sea, the environment, with the vessel... CONSTANTLY. It is a life of constant engagement with your environment both micro and macro... within and without.

I, for one, never wanted to mix making money with something I find so "zen" so essential, so spiritual and fundamental at it's core. When it becomes a business all is subordinate to making money. And for me that is tossing the baby out with the bath water.

I like my profession but it is not "my life"... I don't identify as an architect.... I identify as a "sailor". I make a living when I work.. or must work as an architect... I live a life as much as I can when I aboard or better yet sailing.

It's about engagement and immersion with the elements and the forces of nature.

rant over
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote