Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2015, 18:00   #16

Re: A Open Heart Monologue On The Final Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Stefano...
Moving to a life on the water takes a lot of time and will have to be a transition with a plan... you can't simply march out of your present lives and into some dream. Not happenin'

You need to spend a lot of time learning about boats, maintenance, navigation, safety at sea and of course to sail or operate the boat you intend to own.

It's hard to build one expensive or perhaps less expensive life while living on land.

My gut reaction is that you cannot jump into a marine business from where you are not... it might take 10 years or so!

Maybe you should go to the Caribbean or the Canaries and give it a go there then the coast of Italy? I really don't know...

What about trying to work for someone else... or finding a partner who is ahead of you?

Study and read and try to get on the water as much as you can.

Good luck!
I think the same as you but if you don't try you don't know.
I'm getting my boating licence from a man in the business from 30 years with a 57 ft fast cruiser (don't remember the brand), he did exactly what i want (except he works only in summer, in mediterranean, no more caribbean in winter due family reason) but he is 60 years old, has a family, a home, and a boat with lot of wood to be mantained every year...and his business looks going on well, and also due this new italian law that everybody can charter 42 days the market is really up to get full...The previous summer i had to book 2 months before, because it was all full, no boat available...so there is place for sure also for mine one
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 18:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
You and your gf will be totally happy to live life on the sea with a small cheap boat. You will not miss the comfort of home because you will be having too much fun. Because it is is small and cheap you will not be afraid to make mistakes and because of this you will learn more about life and sailing than you would if you spent your time building the perfect boat.

Later on when you have everything figured out you will move on to a bigger boat and you will be glad you didn't try building one so long ago. Then when you have a bigger boat you will miss being so carefree when you had a smaller one.

But still you will be having fun! And also not regretting you wasted your time trying to build a perfect boat.

Lol

I wrote exactly this before reading you answer

Just about the boatbuilding time, i want to get it within 4 month, about 4 people helping me, stopping work, so 8 hours a day no stop building...However i appreciate the filosophy less is more
Old 21-12-2015, 18:04   #18

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
I'm getting my boating licence from a man in the business from 30 years with a 57 ft fast cruiser
What does 'getting my licence' mean? He'll teach you to sail a boat that size?
Sorry - not up to speed on the Italian laws, but if anyone can charter a 60' boat, even without any real sailing experience, I'll consider myself warned

Quote:
Just about the boatbuilding time, i want to get it within 4 month,
Okay - a SMALL dinghy then ...
Old 21-12-2015, 18:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Then what?
Worst case scenario: you sell the boat and rent an apartment.
Life will go on and you'll have some cool stories to share.

Better to regret it and move back to land then regret not even trying - imho anyway.

Quote 200%

Maybe not easy to sell but life go on
Old 21-12-2015, 18:06   #20

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

Don't worry about the ultimate plan. Go small like others have suggested, figure out what works and what doesn't, and adapt as necessary. You don't have the answers now, no one does, so why force it?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 18:08   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

who needs a washing machine when you have a bucket?

if you can't imagine life without a washing machine,don't even consider building a boat from scratch!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 18:16   #22

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have read your post but I am not clear what your challenge is?

Are you 30 and unhappy with your life? Then change it (change your job, change your town, change your country, change your partner, etc). I say: if you think you are stuck and unhappy, DO something to get unstuck and (possibly, but not surely) happy(-ier). Again, this will not last; because if you are unhappy then that´s because you are carrying it in you. But it may help. Many people feel happier for a time after they change something.

Or else do you want to build a boat? If so, I say if you are a boatbuilder, build one. If you are not a boatbuilder, build something smaller up first: a dinghy, a kayak. It is not easy and not everyone can. It takes skill (not granted) and years of apprenticeship (granted). Just make sure you do not think that building a boat is sailing a boat. These are two different things.

Or do you want to start a charter company? If so, you need some skills (financial planning, business planning, people skills, management skills, marketing skills, etc.) then you need some capital (can be borrowed - but only if you have great skills, great business plan and some proven business track record). Not easy task in the Med due to the ultimate level of competition in this area. Good luck.

Or is it, finally ;-), about sailing the dream = not having to get up at 09:00 to work (for you swap this for getting up at 04:00 to take over the watch). If so, you are 90% done and all it takes is to find out if your partner will match you in chasing THIS dream. Some, for odd reasons, will not. But do not worry, there are many options out there.

Small boats are cheap, the wind is still free and the oceans are vast.

So this is as much of an open heart reply as I could gather at 01:30 UTC (which in this case coincides with my local time).

Clear up your mind and let us know what exactly you want to do. And even if you do not see any reasonable tip in the posts, JUST DO IT. The worst thing that may happen is you will fail and learn something about yourself.

Normally, people ask life changing questions then they will do whatever decision they had already made prior to asking the questions. If you are normal, then here you have your answer.

PLS excuse my typos - it is late and nearly my bunking time.

Sursum corda, cheers,
b.
Well, i think you get my idea, (otherwise i would not be on CF at 3 AM)

Quote 100%, stay standstill and think/hope won't make you happier or a better person.

I'm not a boat builder, i'm a aluminium and iron windows maker (plus some industrial iron and alluminium structure, glass wall)
The challenge is very big, i recognize and that's maybe scare me (apart all the people who think that i'm crazy and i would buy an used boat or max a empty hull)

No problem i appreciated you directness in explaining your idea

The boatbuilding, is the only fact about-heart-mind-practicality, and that i don't trust too much used stuff from other people, especially in a safe field like boating
Old 21-12-2015, 18:27   #23

Quote:
What does 'getting my licence' mean? He'll teach you to sail a boat that size?
Sorry - not up to speed on the Italian laws, but if anyone can charter a 60' boat, even without any real sailing experience, I'll consider myself warned

Okay - a SMALL dinghy then ...
Yes, i'm getting my official boating licence on a 57 ft fast cruiser, just mooring make me nervous, but sailing is quite easy, and very stable, and fast

I'm getting the licence for whatever under 24 meters loa and max 12n\m from coast.

Yes, it is...For example this summer the skipper (the boat was of his dad) asked me to check for engine oil (it was under the minimum), then he get stuck the hand start on the 15 hp 2 stroke outboard, i repared it (just a coils stucked), a omega on the jib was about to fly away (un screwed) and with 3 people on boar with boating licence i was the only who recognized it, screamed everybody to furling the jib but too late, it fly away with the rope and the omega crashing on the deck and the jib flying by it's own...the reclosed the omega with...an hair clip, get from a girl, the owner didn't had steel wire in the tool box...650 euro each for a week plus 250 fuel and food (motoring no stop all 7 days, light wind, stefini 36 sloop)....650 x 6 person...a week...

Italian professionality, it's easy do better.

P.s. anchor light not working, but he said that a torch on the boom is the same...

p.s.2 He burned the 15 years old perfect running engine the previous year, get a plastic bag, overheated it...Waited some minute to understand it, trying throttle up and down, gearbox in neutral, then it selfkilled and never started again...LOL...He went with friend by sails to near port, in croatia...

p.s. 3 To be meticolous...10 ft dinghy, CE marked for max 6 kw, he get a 15 hp...2 people on it, while watersking, it points the sky at full throttle, even with one on the bow...
Old 21-12-2015, 18:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMeilicke View Post
Don't worry about the ultimate plan. Go small like others have suggested, figure out what works and what doesn't, and adapt as necessary. You don't have the answers now, no one does, so why force it?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Thanks for the advice, i'm fighting with myself for small, easy to understand, learn a lot, live simply, and save money, meaning getting the answer to what i want or need, or go straight with my donkey idea...As seen here i don't want to sink for a rudder's bearing...
Old 21-12-2015, 18:30   #25

Quote:
The boatbuilding, is the only fact about-heart-mind-practicality, and that i don't trust too much used stuff from other people, especially in a safe field like boating
Most boats that cross oceans were bought 2nd hand.
I'd trust that a lot more then a boat build by 4 friends who aren't sailors or boat designers / builders, to be honest.

Do you have a boat design ready? And a sailplan?
And do you really think you can build "the ultimate 75' (give or take) charter boat" in 4 months with a budget of 80K max?

Would love to see your plans and math

Quote:
I'm getting the licence for whatever under 24 meters loa and max 12n\m from coast.
Sorry, since you said 7 berths + owner cabin, I was thinking bigger.

But 24m is still a lot of boat to handle (w/out leaving you much living space since).
If you fall ill, can your girlfriend get the passengers to shore safely?
Old 21-12-2015, 18:36   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
who needs a washing machine when you have a bucket?

if you can't imagine life without a washing machine,don't even consider building a boat from scratch!
You are right, but too much sirvival mode is not much appreciated from the opposed sex

I can imagine it without any problem, but with it, maybe in iceland i don't know who to wash clothes...If not to a coin laundry.
Old 21-12-2015, 18:42   #27

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Building boats is no easy task Especially without money to build with. It is not cheaper to build a boat than buy one. You might save 10% off the cost of a new boat. But it takes years to build if you can only work on the boat part time.

A small boat will give you joy. That's what you are wanting yes?
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 18:42   #28

Quote:
You are right, but too much sirvival mode is not much appreciated from the opposed sex
Being the opposite sex and living on a 29' boat, I can tell you that's not true
Old 21-12-2015, 18:45   #29

Quote:
Most boats that cross oceans were bought 2nd hand.
I'd trust that a lot more then a boat build by 4 friends who aren't sailors or boat designers / builders, to be honest.

Do you have a boat design ready? And a sailplan?
And do you really think you can build "the ultimate 75' (give or take) charter boat" in 4 months with a budget of 80K max?

Would love to see your plans and math

Sorry, since you said 7 berths + owner cabin, I was thinking bigger.

But 24m is still a lot of boat to handle (w/out leaving you much living space since).
If you fall ill, can your girlfriend get the passengers to shore safely?
LOL

Let's say yes and yes, a very basic simple and ignorant design but i have it

Not too much math calculation, but it has a very good stabilty form, a good balancing ballast in the bilge, a full beam saloon and kitchen on the deck (sailing trawler style) adeguate power and sails (pratically decided to go for a cutter with stern mast and square rig)

Girlfriend will be tought and learn from me on how to handle, for sure.

My teacher boat is Sciomachen Vagabon 58 ft, 30 years old more or less, with longer mast (ex racer) 9 berth in 4room.

P.s. i added summer experience in the previous post
Old 21-12-2015, 18:47   #30

Quote:
Being the opposite sex and living on a 29' boat, I can tell you that's not true

LOL

We can warm up each other in the colder days

Ironic mode off