Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2011, 19:44   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI
critical decision before criticizing decision

You all can help this decision with your expertise...What would you buy?
Want to buy a cruising sailboat for cruising the Bahamas and the Caribbean Islands for a year or two for my middle age self and my wife.
Have many years experience coastal cruising on a 27 Catalina in the Gulf and Florida Keys. 34 years later, still have that great pocket cruiser.
Need a shallow draft (4 feet+-) comfortable and roomy, larger than 32', smaller than 38', monohull, beamy to carry many provisions, strong to sail occasional blue water; not a racer but a cruiser, easy to handle and easy access to maintain and fix equipment.
Considering a Morgan 33 OI for room and easy access to the powerful 50 hp diesel. Any similar come to mind? (Island Packet is similar design but 4x the price)
Also want solid glass, no cored hull. Centerboard is fine, with skeg on rudder. No long overhangs; want comfortable motion.
About price? Always good value. Prefer mid-priced, quality production but commonly known builders to re-sell after the cruise..
You may also recommend solar, davits, windlass,etc. Planning to leave early fall next year from Gulf Coast of Fla.
What would you buy? roomy, safe, shoal draft, easy sail and pocketbook...Any ideas?
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 19:59   #2

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I would look at a Pearson, Bristol or possibly Columbia. The Pearson 35 is a nice affordable boat that is built like a tank. There is also a centerboard option. If I were setting off on this adventure with a modest budget (ie not Island Packet money) I would look there. There is a book that you may want to check out called something to the effect '20 boats hat will take you anywhere'. I don't have the author handy but most know this book. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 20:39   #3

Boat: csy 37
Re: critical decision before criticizing decision

friend of mine in the daytona beach area is selling his morgan west indies 36, think the price is $20k. really nice shape EXCEPT he was remodeling the interior and had to quit due to health issues. it's a centerboard - 3.5 up, 7 down. would make a nice bahamas/caribbean boat. let me know here if you're interested and i'll get you his phone number.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 09:00   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Consider a smaller Bristol centerboarder. I've sailed the 45.5 in challenging conditions and have overcome my prejudices against the furling Hood main, which is a good choice for a cruising couple.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 09:32   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Besides going with your current boat, I would consider: Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria if you want to put emphasis on sailing itself rather than living aboard while anchored. I like the Morgans very much for living aboard but less for the sailing.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 11:29   #6

Boat: Morgan 33OI-Dreamtime

After spending the last six years, full time (with no plans to return), on my Morgan 33OI in the Eastern Carib, I couldn't be happier with my choice.
More at;
Captain's Corner
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 11:42   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer
After spending the last six years, full time (with no plans to return), on my Morgan 33OI in the Eastern Carib, I couldn't be happier with my choice.
More at;
Captain's Corner
Friends of us had a Morgan (44 ketch I think it was) before switching to a stink pot. Whenever we came aboard that boat, it felt like coming home. Very friendly boats to live at, better than any house!

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:32   #8

Boat: Morgan 33OI-Dreamtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
better than any house!
Got it in one!
Fairwinds,
Ed
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 14:14   #9

Probably this reply is biased, but I certainly think a 31-32 Island Packet would be a boat to fit your description of needs/desires etc. Shoal draft, heavy and stable, full keel and very roomy. Just a thought......
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 08:56   #10

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Wonderful replies; all of them.
Have plenty to research and decisions to make. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I would prefer a diesel engine with a large alternator.
Options mentioned were the Pearson 32 or better, the 35 footer, Morgan 36, Morgan 33 OI ( Great info on Ed's "Captain's Corner" ). I've been considering the Bristol 35 centerboarder for a while.. Of course the Catalina & Hunter are a thought, although not familiar w/ Beneteau,Jeanneau or Bavaria.
The Island Packet is great, has a similar underbody and hull and interior volume as the Morgan OI, for a much lower price; although not as pretty or well finished.
Yes, I could take my own Catalina 27, specially after all the upgrades already done, but on previous extended cruises, have found that I need to carry extra fuel & water in containers and provisions, dinghy, etc. all on deck and the boat becomes overloaded, top heavy and unsafe to tend to deck chores.
A well equipped, used older boat in good condition would be best. I found that time, effort and money to install new equipment is not effective in my case since I plan to buy the right boat, cruise with it and re-sell it when the trip is completed. The initial cost is not important since I should recouperate most when sold if I make a good valued purchase.
Again, thank you all for the ideas, keep them coming and Merry Christmas to each of you.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 09:08   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Look at the hunter 37 cutter for sale on hunterowners.com. They are a solid glass hull 4 or 5 foot draft available . Nice interior layout good sailing good motion.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 09:36   #12

The 4 ft draft limits your choices but will certainly be nice in the Bahamas. Hope you find something nice!. I believe there is a Wauquiez 35-38 footer with a centerboard. Cant remember much more but they are very nicely built boats. For a short 1-2 year trip and not a lot of offshore sailing, consider something that is less of a "cave". Anything with larger windows etc will be very nice for the 95% of the time you spend anchored! Like an Islander Freeport 36.. only with less draft...
Here's a loaded Wauquiez. A little high on the price... http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=76452&url=

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 16:05   #13

Easy buy the best condition, best equiped, has the closest draft to what you desire and longest waterline that you can afford that pulls at your heart strings.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 16:38   #14

Angry Re: critical decision before criticizing decision

The Island Packet is great, has a similar underbody and hull and interior volume as the Morgan OI, for a much lower price; although not as pretty or well finished.
And I always thought my boat was pretty and well finished?: confused:
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 17:37   #15

An Island Packet is less $ than an old Morgan OI?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote