Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 13:08   #61

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: Leaving from Seattle to San Francisco then across the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
Just an update. We are here in Coos bay waiting for favorable weather to get around Cape Blanco. The weather has been changing dayly so we have just been sailing from port to port. Going through the bars have been a chalenge to show up at the right time.
So far our worst experience was the Westport bar that we got knocked around a bit going through there at night.

I will post another update after we get to Crescent City.
Bars are always a challenge in Oregon. LOL
Is there a McMenemams? there?
Old 09-11-2015, 20:10   #62

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Here is a few pics

https://www.facebook.com/Isla.Aid/photos_stream

https://www.facebook.com/Isla.Aid/ph...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/Isla.Aid/ph...type=3&theater
Old 09-11-2015, 20:55   #63

Boat: Skookum 47

Morro Bay is great for anchoring. I think it's still 7 or 14 days free in the marked zones on the charts. I held through a substantial storm in my little Pearson Ariel for the better part of 16 hours with no movement. Bottom is sticky mud. Town in sleepy and nice. You can put your dink up to the transient dock no problem. I lived aboard there for a year while I got my boat ready to go south. Don't forget about Cojo Anchorage if you need a break once rounding Pt Conception. Where are you in SF and how long will you be here? You can anchor in Aquatic Park with great holding and great protection. Fair Winds.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 21:41   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

If for some reason you're tired of crossing bars to get into anchor (e.g. Morro Bay) consider stopping in at either San Simeon (very pretty anchorage just north of Morrow) or Port San Luis (large public anchorage that can be approached in the dark just south of Morro).

We've done your next leg several times and typically go from Aquatic Park in SF to just around the corner at Pillar Point to see some friends and then sail a long leg down straight to San Simeon, spend a night, pop into San Luis then flip a coin about whether to go into the Santa Barbara Channel or go to Cuyler Harbor on San Miguel.

Do also consider sailing to San Miguel (Island) and staying at Cuyler Harbor--then you can choose to go down in the Channel Islands through to San Diego. If you've got the time, you can anchor at Cat Harbor on the west side of Catalina on the way to San Diego--or you could go visit Minney's in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach like pretty much everyone else does. There are a number of good sailmakers/sail repair folks there in Costa Mesa too. 5 days free anchoring in the Newport Beach harbor, too.

Have a great trip.
Old 09-11-2015, 22:57   #65

Boat: Skookum 47

Agreed on San Simeon. Nice anchorage. I've spent time at Avila and wouldn't want to hang around in the winter. Most systems throw up a south wind, and Avila's completely open to the south. Not a very comfortable anchorage even when things are good. Pretty rolly. And oh what fun it is tying to the pier with your dink and timing the jump up to the platform between swells. Just don't misjudge that first step or you're going to need a new groin.

If you have the time, definitely head out to the Channel Islands. They are lovely.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:39   #66
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
Agreed on San Simeon. Nice anchorage. I've spent time at Avila and wouldn't want to hang around in the winter. Most systems throw up a south wind, and Avila's completely open to the south. Not a very comfortable anchorage even when things are good. Pretty rolly. And oh what fun it is tying to the pier with your dink and timing the jump up to the platform between swells. Just don't misjudge that first step or you're going to need a new groin.

If you have the time, definitely head out to the Channel Islands. They are lovely.
Avila--um, is that the town along Port San Luis? I've never been ashore there, just used the anchorage as a good get-in-at-night spot. San Simeon is also unprotected from the south. Cuyler Harbor on San Miguel is well protected from the southerlies but I've had a couple friends stuck there for a week because the bad weather raging around outside.

Other thought--when you hear those "just go straight to San Diego outside the Channel Islands" advice, I suggest the OP ignore them unless winds are very light. It is a good summertime strategy when the winds are light and seas are calm. In the calms of summer, there is often little wind in the Santa Barbara channel or even in the Channel Islands.. because the land (from Point Conception and to the east) shadow just blocks it I suppose.

This "go straight" is bad, bad advice to heed for anytime there is any real wind or seas. If you take a look at an online tool like Sailflow, Passage Weather, or the surfers' Magic Seaweed, you'll see how, in any kind of weather, winds and waves are much bigger in a zone that starts south of Point Conception (just outside the channel islands up by San Miguel) and then stays big down past San Nicolas island. If summertime, by all means, this is better wind to work with and since the waves are smaller in summer (typically) there's less to worry about on the waves at that time. At stormy times of the year, it's just not a good strategy though.

Then, after you've gotten yourself down through the "outside the channel islands route" that some folks advocate w/o the qualifiers of "in calm, settled weather" you have to come back across the shallows that start at San Nicolas island and end in the fishing banks of Tanner and Cortes Banks to get to San Diego. It's not the fishermen to worry about though--it's the very long period waves as they steepen up as the ocean goes from thousands of feet deep to low hundreds. In some places one can see some good size breaking waves. If you haven't seen the movie Billabong Odyssey (surfing), check it out sometimes since they surf the Cortes Bank. Every reason to stay INSIDE the Channel Islands unless it's summertime-flat and summertime calm.
Old 10-11-2015, 14:40   #67

Wow so much info and good advice. Thanks so much everyone. Actualy my plans are to go as far as Morro Bay and then from there cut across to Hawaii. I will follow the northern pacific trade winds.

On another subject, we tied up at Pier 39 in the San Francisco waterfront and had a crazy 2 day beating. The 50" power yacht beside us got damage right into his fiberglass roving. I would steer away from this marina because of all the traffic and docks that will beat your boat up.

Now we are relaxing at anchor in the Aquatic Park Bay. A little rolly but not bad. far better than pier 39!

Tomorrow we set off for Halfmoon Bay and then Monterrey

Cheers
Old 10-11-2015, 15:31   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Skipper, do you watch windyty.com?
What a GREAT site! Thank you for sharing.
Boathooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 16:18   #69

Yeah I have been using windyty and passageweather.com all the way down the coast. good for planning a few days in advance. For the most part agreed with my weather fax maps.
Old 10-11-2015, 20:37   #70

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Wow so much info and good advice. Thanks so much everyone. Actualy my plans are to go as far as Morro Bay and then from there cut across to Hawaii. I will follow the northern pacific trade winds.

On another subject, we tied up at Pier 39 in the San Francisco waterfront and had a crazy 2 day beating. The 50" power yacht beside us got damage right into his fiberglass roving. I would steer away from this marina because of all the traffic and docks that will beat your boat up.

Now we are relaxing at anchor in the Aquatic Park Bay. A little rolly but not bad. far better than pier 39!

Tomorrow we set off for Halfmoon Bay and then Monterrey

Cheers
Well, you caught the bay just as our first thunder storms rolled through. My friends used to have their boat at Pier 39 and had to use chains with tires for snubbers on their dock lines. The surge in there will make you seasick sitting at the dock!!

If you delay your departure and want to try another spot, there's very little surge in Clipper Cove, which is tucked in around the back side of Treasure Island.

Also, if you all are still in Pillar Point Harbor this Friday, please come over to the HMB Yacht Club as my guest for happy hour. We will have good food and drinks at a very reasonable price, with a warm and inviting group of sailors. Just send a PM to coordinate the details.

Enjoy!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 20:58   #71
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

[QUOTE=SV Windrush II;1959276]

....... Actualy my plans are to go as far as Morro Bay and then from there cut across to Hawaii. I will follow the northern pacific trade winds.
/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I have done 3 times in the past....this time of year.

By departing from Morro Bay, you get off the continental shelf very quickly into more settled wave sets and hopefully pick up consistent trades further southwest.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 21:59   #72

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You may have Brian Fagan's book on cruising the west coast already, and you won't be spending much time along the coast, but he does discuss the coast and harbors well. A good friend stayed in the lee of Point Sur and said it had good holding ground and good protection but surgey and check the chart and watch for rock outcrops north side. He went in in daylight and no fog and NW winds 15 to 20 knots or so... Others on here may have experience there. I only bring it up in case you need a place to stay around there IN A PINCH. San Simeon is such a nice cove I might even consider staying there before leaving.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 18:37   #73

Just an update.
We have been spending a few days in Half Moon Bay with friends and got invited by Carliane to the Half Moon Bay Yacht Club which was very nice, good people and good food! Thanks Carliane!

Tuesday we sail to Monterey and get resupplied with provisions before setting off again further south.
Old 15-11-2015, 18:58   #74
Marine Service Provider

Ah--so are you anchored there outside the HMBYC in Pillar Point Harbor? Did you use their little Huck-Fin type ferry from the dingy dock to the shore? It's a cute little setup they've got and the people there in the YC are very nice.
Old 15-11-2015, 20:38   #75

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Just an update.
We have been spending a few days in Half Moon Bay with friends and got invited by Carliane to the Half Moon Bay Yacht Club which was very nice, good people and good food! Thanks Carliane!

Tuesday we sail to Monterey and get resupplied with provisions before setting off again further south.
You're welcome! It was really nice to meet you and Sonia. I wish you all the best on your adventures and will look forward to hearing about your puddle jump
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco, seattle