Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 09:59   #16

Re: Practicality of Trailering a sailboat

If they weren't so darn expensive I would have a Seaward 25 or 26. Retractable keel, trailerable with a diesel, hot water and toilet. Also about 6500 lbs towing weight including the trailer.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 11:36   #17

Boat: Lots of boats.

I have trailered a lot of boats cross country (up to 500 miles). The biggest boat being my Mac 26X and smallest vehicle used was a '82 Honda Accord, used to pull a Mac 25 in and out of the water. I rent trucks to move the 26X and have used F150's from U-Haul. Don't move it enough to warrant buying a vehicle. For all other boats, I use my Infiniti M35X and have pulled a 19' Sportcraft with a 1000 lb. tandem wheel trailer and a 140 HP Evinrude on the back. And also a Mac 21 I bought in MA and towed home in a blinding blizzard.

When I originally bought my Mac 25 years ago I bought a 72 Dodge Coronet wagon to tow it with a 318 V8 (for all of $200). Pulled without issue, but when I hit truck grooves, I ended up in the other lane. Not something I wanted to repeat, so I added helper springs, sway bar and new air shocks. Problem solved. Have not had any issues with the Infiniti with its sport suspension and smallish V6.

I have found the key to towing safely is to plan ahead. Slow down well in advance of issues and expect the unexpected. You can only hope you don't have to do emergency maneuvers because no matter what the vehicle, you will most likely end up with a dumped boat. So far I have been lucky.

I have been hit in the back 4 times with the largest vehicle involving a Coca Cola delivery truck in Florida that could not stop on wet roads. The worst accident I had involved getting hit from behind outside of Chicago by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel at around 70 MPH. Knocked my motorcycle trailer with 2 bikes off the hitch. Luckily the chains held and the guy hit me square. But the trailer was crushed right to the rear wheels of the bikes, with no damage to them. Had he hit me at more of an angle, the trailer would have probably cart wheeled at that speed. Anyway, good luck with trailering. It can be an adventure on its own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0661x.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	133374   Click image for larger version

Name:	0222141231x.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	133375  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0419141900x.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	133376  
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 11:44   #18

My husband and I owned a Macgregor 26s (original sailboat). We trailed it many places including over the Rockies with a Ford van.
We had a gin pole, side stays and it took 2 of us to raise the mast. Usually I cranked the winch and kept all the lines and cables untangled. And I also would find the Windex and attach it after we lowered the mast for it 🙄
Backstay, frontstay, 2 sets sidestays, 2 halyards, make for lots of interesting challenges on just a lightweight water ballast sailboat!
Launching and retrieval were very effortless however!
Sandy
seajester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 11:55   #19

Boat: 2002 Hunter 450/ 1987 Dehler 25

Towing opens up places that others dream of. I towed out of Colorado to the San Juans, Sea of Cortez, Lake Powell, as well as all the mountain resevoirs. 70 MPH to windward covers some serious real estate. A boat reasonable easy to set up with a gin pole and not needing a crane means you can set up anywhere. launching and retrieving with a pick up can be dicy simply because little rear wheel traction. If it is a fixed keel use a tether and have a decent tongue wheel close if not totally on center or the trailer will want to launch in an arc. Dual axles track better. Trailering is great have fun.
Dehler 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 13:04   #20

You can check 2015 F150 towing capacities here

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...Tgde_May19.pdf

Just google your year
cementsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 14:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

It's really a question of the towing capacity of the truck. We used to tow (well paid a company) to tow a J-35 (10,500lbs) to Key West every year. Modern Class 40 boats can be easily towed by most Class3 hitches, but I wouldn't do it there's too much windage.

The trick is to decide if you want a towable boat or a trailerable boat. They are very different things. A towable boat 'can' be towed from time to time, maybe once a year but really isn't intended to most of the time. A trailerable boat is intended to be moved around regularly, can be launched from the trailer, and doesn't need a crane to put the mast up. Radically different designs. But both can be nominally towed around when needed.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 14:51   #22

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

We have a Macgregor 26 M and can take it anywhere. If I had the money, I'd have a Seaward 32 RK. They are way pricey though for the size and you would want a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Here's one that is asking 124,000!!! 2010 Seaward 32 RK Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Cheers,
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 18:16   #23

Boat: Mumby 48

Threads wander but are informative and entertaining. I recently got out of trailering I likened the experience to sailor-trailer than trailer-sailor as I spent most of my time on the trailer. hsi88 has some good advice. The common-rail diesels are more than capable - here in Aus all I had was a Ford Ranger 3lt - more than adequate. 4WD is essential for greasy ramps..one so much so whole rig slid toward the water whilst braked! Here in Aus. NSW & Vic. require trailers to have fully automatic & powered braking on the trailer - have been instances of boat& trailer breaking loose and overtaking driver... now the system applies brakes independent of vehicle. Don't underestimate the importance of the trailer not the vehicle - it is your stopping not the power which is of concern. Some good points in the thread.
allatsea99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 18:49   #24

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I tow a Venture 25 with my 4x4 F-150 with no problems. I extended the trailer 24 inches and made a ladder that also houses our mast raising system. This is all welded on. We use the trailer winch to lift the mast and once it is rigged, the mast is up in about a minute, fast and easy.

Launching is easy, for loading I back up to the point where the water just touches the rims and the boat floats right to the bow stop. Hook the winch hook to the bow eye and we are loaded, no winching needed.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 20:10   #25

Boat: macgregor 26

Taken my 88, Mac 26D as far south as the Florida Keys and as far north as James Bay. With two experienced people ( aka my wife and I ) the boat goes from trailer to dock in less than an hour. We've pulled it with several vehicles but currently with a 4wd Silverado. Honestly, a locking differential is more valuable on ramps. 4wd is really only appreciated when you launch and retrieve without a ramp.... Ya I've got stories. The Mac's come with their own trailer but I've invested in an upgraded axel and wheels. The biggest trailering issues had to due with incorrect tounge weight causing fishtailing. When loaded correctly the boat tows with good manners up to 100k/h. Don't forget the advantage of a trailerable for dry camping. There are some fantastic state / national parks far from sailing waters that you can camp in. As a matter of fact, if you want to have some great conversations just pull into a KOA with a trailerable.
MAC-A-TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 02:43   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by allatsea99 View Post
Threads wander but are informative and entertaining. I recently got out of trailering I likened the experience to sailor-trailer than trailer-sailor as I spent most of my time on the trailer. hsi88 has some good advice. The common-rail diesels are more than capable - here in Aus all I had was a Ford Ranger 3lt - more than adequate. 4WD is essential for greasy ramps..one so much so whole rig slid toward the water whilst braked! Here in Aus. NSW & Vic. require trailers to have fully automatic & powered braking on the trailer - have been instances of boat& trailer breaking loose and overtaking driver... now the system applies brakes independent of vehicle. Don't underestimate the importance of the trailer not the vehicle - it is your stopping not the power which is of concern. Some good points in the thread.
In the US, most states require trailer brakes for any trailer over 2000lbs.

A lot does depend on what the OP is proposing. 5-10miles on flat roads and while I wouldn't recommend it, you can cheat above the limits. Especially with 4x4 low range to give you the torque to get off the ramp.

Want to cross the Rockies and the long climb might run out of power.

Also, consider things other than the engine. When you get above 10k lbs, the brakes and suspension moving up to a 3/4 or 1 ton make a big difference. It's not pure pulling power.

And as someone else mentioned for heavy trailers weight distributing hitches and sway control become a serious facor.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 08:17   #27

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I had a Ford F250 with a modified V8. Why modified? Because the first time I tried to pull my 28 foot twin engine cabby fishing boat out of the water in Huntingon Harbor I became the main show for everyone. I literally had to get someone to put a cable on my front undercarriage to pull me up the ramp.

Several people have alluded to it...but let me be perfectly clear...ya gots to have the power or the traction or the combination of both to pull boats up a ramp. Especially slimy ramps...The steepness of the ramps, the construction of the ramp drainage, and many other factors will effect your pull ability of your truck.

BTW the F27 trimarans are fabulous coastal machines. They are easy to launch...and retrieve. Ian Farrier has the design completely worked out for raising and lowering the mast and deploying the amas...check it out...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 08:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
I had a Ford F250 with a modified V8. Why modified? Because the first time I tried to pull my 28 foot twin engine cabby fishing boat out of the water in Huntingon Harbor I became the main show for everyone. I literally had to get someone to put a cable on my front undercarriage to pull me up the ramp.

Several people have alluded to it...but let me be perfectly clear...ya gots to have the power or the traction or the combination of both to pull boats up a ramp. Especially slimy ramps...The steepness of the ramps, the construction of the ramp drainage, and many other factors will effect your pull ability of your truck.

BTW the F27 trimarans are fabulous coastal machines. They are easy to launch...and retrieve. Ian Farrier has the design completely worked out for raising and lowering the mast and deploying the amas...check it out...
Yep. You don't want to be that guy who cant get out of the launch ramp while everyone else is waiting. If you are going to launch and retrieve you MUST have 4wd in most cases.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 09:05   #29

Boat: Currently in between

Someone may have mentioned this and I might have missed it but.. rarely is a 6500 lb boat & trailer combo really 6500 lbs.

The unknowing, or the risk takers, load the boat at the house with all their food, drinks, ice, coolers, cameras, etc. and now their 6500 lb boat/trailer is really 6800 lb or more.

Early on someone mentioned keep your boat & trailer combo to 75% of the tow vehicles max ability. Those extras are one of the reasons why.
Old 22-10-2016, 10:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post

Power is rarely the issue getting up the ramp. Particularly with modern engines where the bottom of the barrel naturally aspirated V6 can put out well north of 200hp.

It's traction and a low enough gear. If you are going to be going to a lot of steep slimy ramps, 4x4 low range will let a 4 banger pull a 30' cabin cruiser out with ease.

This does bring up a key issue with launching from a ramp. Many are built to handle boats with a 2-3' draft with the I/O unit tilted up until a hundred yards out into deep water. I'd bet 90% or more of ramps won't handle a 4' draft keel boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, sail, sailboat