Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 10:59   #121

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Help Me Pay My Way (Well, Not Quite ... )

Just to add my 1-1/2 cents here I offer the following:

Recently saw one of these youtube channels where the person modified their anchor locker with S/S to accomodate a new windlass. I was so impressed and wanted more information on this. I contacted the person and kindly requested more info. I got a response that he would need a $50 consulting fee before having any discussions on subject.

My thoughts are that if I was a fellow dock neighbour doing the same he would have told me all about the installation. I was more than a little put off by the request for consulting funds.

Your thoughts?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:24   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Help Me Pay My Way (Well, Not Quite ... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I don’t know. I went with my daughter last year, to my old alma mater, and was shocked to find how many more administrative positions they had added. The freshman orientation almost became a joke as we were addressed by one assistant to the assistant to the assistant, after another. It sure wasn’t the lean structure I remembered, with all the excessive handholding jobs that seem to have been created.

That is exactly correct.
I don’t know who wrote it or what it’s called, but the purpose of a bureaucracy is to perpetuate the bureaucracy, not anything else.
It took quite a while for me to get my wife to understand the school she worked at’s purpose was not to educate children, it’s purpose was to employ as many administrators as possible, and to give them careers with wonderful retirements and benefits packages.
Teachers were a necessary evil, non desirables, but just cause you had to have a few didn’t mean you had to pay them well or give them respect or even not to continue to whittle their numbers down, to of course hire more administrators.

A government is a bureaucracy, understand that, and you’ll understand why it operates the way it does.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 13:17   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is exactly correct.
I don’t know who wrote it or what it’s called, but the purpose of a bureaucracy is to perpetuate the bureaucracy, not anything else.
It took quite a while for me to get my wife to understand the school she worked at’s purpose was not to educate children, it’s purpose was to employ as many administrators as possible, and to give them careers with wonderful retirements and benefits packages.
Teachers were a necessary evil, non desirables, but just cause you had to have a few didn’t mean you had to pay them well or give them respect or even not to continue to whittle their numbers down, to of course hire more administrators.

A government is a bureaucracy, understand that, and you’ll understand why it operates the way it does.
We used to say that the support staff at headquarters used to think the same about us: If they could just get rid of all of the investigators, our federal criminal investigative agency would have run a lot smoother and have a lot less problems.

But, in seriousness, another good example is going on at the Bahamas Land and Sea Park right now. They are dead set on expanding their power, influence, and budget. And, very little of the effort seems dedicated to preserving marine and other wildlife.
Old 08-11-2018, 14:11   #124

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
... Since you used the derogatory term of beggars, I took it as more of a critique/complaint than simply an unbiased observation ...
If an individual is seen begging, and a second individual observes that individual in the act and identifies the activity for what it is, wherein lies the derogation?
Old 08-11-2018, 14:52   #125
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Like calling someone who works for tips a beggar.

Or a street performer.

Very different meaning and connotation.

People who actually figure out how to make a living from voluntary donations online earn every penny they make.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 15:12   #126

Boat: Allied Princess 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Like calling someone who works for tips a beggar.

Or a street performer.

Very different meaning and connotation.

People who actually figure out how to make a living from voluntary donations online earn every penny they make.
So if I "figure" a way to charge you for a view or to walk down the street I can say is well earned money
Steamerlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:36   #127

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamerlanes View Post
So if I "figure" a way to charge you for a view or to walk down the street I can say is well earned money
Old concept... toll roads.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:40   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post

Recently saw one of these youtube channels where the person modified their anchor locker with S/S to accomodate a new windlass. I was so impressed and wanted more information on this. I contacted the person and kindly requested more info. I got a response that he would need a $50 consulting fee before having any discussions on subject.

My thoughts are that if I was a fellow dock neighbour doing the same he would have told me all about the installation. I was more than a little put off by the request for consulting funds.

Your thoughts?
Well, YT. If you are approached by the 150th viewer and have to answer the same question again and again, I guess at some point you want to talk to the serious guys, make some money of it for spending your time teaching - and scare the rest away.
[emoji102]
Old 09-11-2018, 08:51   #129
cruiser

Quote:
No idea how that is relevant.

No one is "charging" anything, their content is freely given!

They get enough viewers who **want** to contribute **voluntary** donations online, and some are good (lucky, sexy) enough to make their living that way. Some even get rich!

More power to them I say, and I have no idea why anyone would take offense at that now not-so-new business model,

except maybe jealousy?

the fact it can happen without producers / studios / managers / agencies / A&R / talent scouts all taking their cuts?

Otherwise I just dunno where the hate comes from.

And thinking just because you're a fan, you're somehow **entitled** to even more free 1:1 help / advice / time & attention,

Wow. Just wow.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:17   #130

Boat: Allied Princess 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
No idea how that is relevant.

No one is "charging" anything, their content is freely given!

They get enough viewers who **want** to contribute **voluntary** donations online, and some are good (lucky, sexy) enough to make their living that way. Some even get rich!

More power to them I say, and I have no idea why anyone would take offense at that now not-so-new business model,

except maybe jealousy?

the fact it can happen without producers / studios / managers / agencies / A&R / talent scouts all taking their cuts?

Otherwise I just dunno where the hate comes from.

And thinking just because you're a fan, you're somehow **entitled** to even more free 1:1 help / advice / time & attention,

Wow. Just wow.
The argument is seriously over done. I bank my mo ey to cruise myself. Feel free to spend money anyway you chose. The jealousy card is well over played as well.
Steamerlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 17:48   #131

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post

Recently saw one of these youtube channels where the person modified their anchor locker with S/S to accomodate a new windlass. I was so [...]

Your thoughts?

Interesting situation. For you (or me, if I were you) it comes down to "what's it worth to you", or "how much money/time/sweat/tears/blood could you possibly save if you had this person's advice" ?

I guess the response took you by surprise and you would be put off if you just wanted to ask a question that might take him (or her) less than 5 mins to answer.
It reminds me of many web pages where people are asking the author whether he could adapt his solution to their requirements. And if he replies, they quite often keep asking more and more detailed (or even stupid) questions without doing their homework first.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:40   #132
cruiser

When you get to a high enough level of expertise, you can charge for the value your specialized knowledge brings the client.

Nothing to do with the time spent, might be $5000 for a few sentences written on a scrap of paper.

If you don't want to pay the price asked, don't.

But don't **expect** people to just give it away just because you liked their advertising.

Quote:
Feel free to spend money anyway you chose.
Bingo!
Old 11-11-2018, 01:44   #133

Well, I prefer to discuss my solutions and get a different point of view, improve the thing or learn something new.

Usually it is a good thing to get challenged, others may not appreciate this or want to make a living of the ideas they had.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:49   #134

For $50 I will give you step-by-step instructions how to get rich off the internet while cruising
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:03   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
For $50 I will give you step-by-step instructions how to get rich off the internet while cruising
for 100$ you can get a step by step instruction how to get poor while cruising and using the internet on the ocean.... [emoji23]