Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 08:00   #1

Finding a surveyor abroad

Hi everyone. Looking at buying a yacht in continental Europe to bring home to UK - and I definitely want a survey.

I'd welcome any advice. Better to try to find a local surveyor (and take risk that they may be chummy with the local selling broker)? Or should I find a UK surveyor who likely comes recommended within my own sailing networks (and suck up substantial cost of (1) taking them abroad, probably to France, for a day or two (2) meaning I almost definitely have to make an extra visit)?

I am an experienced sailor but will be a novice yacht owner so a survey is essential.
richr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:32   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Finding a surveyor abroad

Surveyors don't generally travel far, as you note, because it becomes too expensive for the customer. The general advice around here is to ask several people, including the broker, who work in the marine industry near where the boat is. (Mechanics, Yard foremen, fiberglass workers...) Then try to avoid the one the broker suggests and see which names keep being mentioned. Talk to several (three?) of the recommended surveyors to find out what they do, what they will likely focus on, (Certain designs may be noted for wet decks, or mast step weakness, for example.) and what they charge. Go with the one you feel will do the best job for you. Make sure you are there with them during the whole survey, so you can see what he finds and learn as much as you can. Take pictures. That way, even if his survey ends with you deciding not to buy the boat, you've learned how things are supposed go together for the next boat you select. If you do decide to buy the boat, you'll know first-hand what needs to be done to improve it.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 13:12   #3

Thank you, seems very sensible
Old 05-12-2018, 18:37   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Tu parles français, aussi? Ce serait utile!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:18   #5

Merci, malheureusement seulement un peu. Besoin trouver in surveyor qui parle bien anglais.

O, si parla italiano sarebbe meglio. Ma anche non sono sicuro che comprendo tutta la lingua delle barche.

So strong preference for an English speaker. There's a few advertised on the internet, I am sure I could do worse than just place a phone call or two.

Tags
survey, surveyor