Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 05:15   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Lightbulb Finding a right surveyor

Hello everyone!

I'm Eugene and I do some research here

As I'm professional seafarer in the past and study as surveyor at present, recently I got an idea to build a kind of job board, where marine surveyors can find a job, and boat owners - request surveys, inspections, consultancy, etc.

May I ask you opinion, guys, where usually you hiring such surveyors for your boats? Does internet having enough websites to find a right pro?

Bear in mind, that my site is different from the associations and maritime directories, as it provide two types of users - surveyors and clients. So, not only surveyor can submit a resume, but client can post a job.
Also, client will search surveyors by location and relevant skill.

Will it work?

Will appreciate any feedback
__________________

bolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 06:25   #2
Registered User
 
Fore and Aft's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gympie
Boat: Volkscruiser
Posts: 1,139
Re: Finding a right surveyor

For a lot of my surveys I donít think there would be time for the client to post a job then get replyís from interested surveyors. For me normally there is a chat, then days I am free worked out and then the client rings the slip to book a time to be hauled out. They then call me back to lock it in. I averaged 4 surveys a week this year so unless it is all sorted quick I may not be available.
A lot of my clients often call when they are on the new boat or have just finished looking and they are keen to get the whole deal done ASAP.
Cheers
__________________

Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 07:35   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
For a lot of my surveys I donít think there would be time for the client to post a job then get replyís from interested surveyors
Got your point. But the client would just start search by location and skill, then once suitable found - ring or PM him. Voila!
bolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 10:04   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 38,198
Images: 241
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, bolid.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 15:05   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, bolid.
Thank you, GordMay! Happy New Year!
bolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:28   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Frederick, MD
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Posts: 29
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Just wishing there was a site where parties that have hired a surveyor could rate the quality of service provided, both initially and also later when problems not initially detected show up. This could be segregated by region.
This would provide a picture of the individual surveyors performance with their contact information and survey cost. This would also substantiate the reliability and value of many surveys taken in that region.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:58   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Pittwater Bay, NSW, Australia
Boat: Hylas 54 #42
Posts: 10
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
Just wishing there was a site where parties that have hired a surveyor could rate the quality of service provided, both initially and also later when problems not initially detected show up. This could be segregated by region.
This would provide a picture of the individual surveyors performance with their contact information and survey cost. This would also substantiate the reliability and value of many surveys taken in that region.
I agree, I recently purchased a boat and it was a big job finding a good surveyor. t would have been much easier to be able to get feedback on surveyors (and other yacht service trades) from a user review site.

To find my surveyor, I searched long and hard for reviews of surveyors using google searches. I also posted on several forums requests for feedback on good surveyors in the area where I was purchasing the boat. The forum requests did not provide any results but I did find several older recommendations from the google searches.

Once I had some potential names, I contacted the surveyors and asked for pricing, their availability, how long the job would take. I also requested them to send a redacted survey report they had done on a similar yacht. I provided them the link to the yachtworld listing of the yacht I wanted surveyed. All of the surveyors responded. The most useful information to guide my choice was the amount of time they expected to spend on the survey and the quality of the sample report they sent. In my opinion, one surveyor stood out from the others.

The surveyor I chose turned out to be the most expensive and I had to fit his availability dates but he did a fantastic job. The survey took almost 4 very long days. The brokers involved all said they had never seen such a thorough survey job. The boat turned out to be in very good shape but there were a couple big items needing replacement. The renegotiation on purchase price due to the survey findings easily paid for the survey costs.
jdtcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 14:12   #8
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Ontario
Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Posts: 3,250
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolid View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm Eugene and I do some research here

As I'm professional seafarer in the past and study as surveyor at present, recently I got an idea to build a kind of job board, where marine surveyors can find a job, and boat owners - request surveys, inspections, consultancy, etc.

May I ask you opinion, guys, where usually you hiring such surveyors for your boats? Does internet having enough websites to find a right pro?

Bear in mind, that my site is different from the associations and maritime directories, as it provide two types of users - surveyors and clients. So, not only surveyor can submit a resume, but client can post a job.
Also, client will search surveyors by location and relevant skill.

Will it work?

Will appreciate any feedback
For what benefit to the customer?

All one has to do is go to the local surveyors association website and search a surveyor near them, then call.

In North America, this would be SAMs or NAMs. I wouldn’t recommend a boater post their need for a surveyor. Every Tom, Dick, or drug addicted boat bum Harry, who has no business hiring themselves out as a professional surveyor could hound them.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 23:20   #9
Registered User
 
Fore and Aft's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gympie
Boat: Volkscruiser
Posts: 1,139
Re: Finding a right surveyor

The trouble with a surveyor rating site is that a lot of the complaints might not be justified. Heck I get at least two or three complaints a year. Interesting itís never from experienced cruisers but from newbies who seem to think I have a crystal ball in my bag.
Right now I am anchored right next to a semi derelict sailboat I surveyed two years ago. The buyer was a going to fix her up and sail around the world. Like all heart buyers he refused to listen to my advice and glossed over my survey report. So when it all went bad it was easier for him to blame the professional rather than admit he ignored my advice and took on a boat that was beyond economical repair. Whatís worse is if he had of listened to me he could have found a better boat and actually gone cruising.
If you do the website, you should let the surveyor post the survey report the complaint is about so people can make up their own mind about the complaint?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:21   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 29
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolid View Post
... recently I got an idea to build a kind of job board, where marine surveyors can find a job, and boat owners - request surveys...:

Would you charge for this service?
Chris31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 13:01   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
If you do the website, you should let the surveyor post the survey report the complaint is about so people can make up their own mind about the complaint?
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
Just wishing there was a site where parties that have hired a surveyor could rate the quality of service provided, both initially and also later when problems not initially detected show up. This could be segregated by region.
This would provide a picture of the individual surveyors performance with their contact information and survey cost. This would also substantiate the reliability and value of many surveys taken in that region.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
In North America, this would be SAMs or NAMs. I wouldnít recommend a boater post their need for a surveyor. Every Tom, Dick, or drug addicted boat bum Harry, who has no business hiring themselves out as a professional surveyor could hound them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris31415 View Post
Would you charge for this service?
Thanks to all for the opinions. Generally, most of you suggest a rating system to avoid incompetent deals and loss of time and money. Completely agree! This feature not yet working, but it will for sure.

As per posting of surveyor report, that might be a separate section of the website, like the mini-forum, for sharing negative/positive experiences.

Regarding charges and fees. So far the website growing in users and traffic, will be free, then, in sense of keeping it afloat I plan to charge small fee for the applications (then a client submit an application and approve person for job), and for the clients as well, then they post a job or willing to contact a surveyor while searching them in the directory. All fees will be around couple of bucks, so I'm not pretending to be a kind of tycoon

And, If you don't mind, I would like to invite anyone to give me a helping hand and sign up for user account. It's in the testing mode, but already have some surveyors resumes from number of countries: US, Canada, Italy, UK, Turkey, Cameroon, etc. Would be great to have a couple of clients as well, who might post a quote.

This forum isn't for advertisement, I understood it very well, thus, the website link can be found on the LINKS page at the top of the Newest 5 links:

Links

Cheers
bolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 694
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolid View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm Eugene and I do some research here

May I ask you opinion, guys, where usually you hiring such surveyors for your boats? Does internet having enough websites to find a right pro?

Will it work?

Will appreciate any feedback
I asked around when I needed a surveyor. John Neal, my yacht broker, and other brokers all said there was only one surveyor in Seattle I should hire, so I did.

The surveyor was off on boat length by 9', and I don't think there was a single figure he got right. He said the VHF did not work because he did not turn it on when he tested it. My financing was stopped until my spouse convinced a secretary that the boat length was a typo and she changed that for us. The surveyor refused to change anything or correct his crappy survey. I didn't even receive page 3 (of 5) until after I owned the boat so I did not realize how much misinformation was in the survey. Even the anchor rode was wrong. The engine oil test I had specifically requested was ignored and never done. Red flags went up when the surveyor demanded cash payment on the spot. But I was new and I paid it.
In fairness, SAMS said they would censure the surveyor if I filed a formal complaint.
Needless to say, this bozo will never again set foot on a boat I own.

So where does one find a competent surveyor?
Your problem will be like "NAME's List" of home repair contractors. Everyone with any common sense knows these contractors pay to have their names on the list and bad reviews are minimized. People will suspect the same of a Sailors' List.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:19   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
So where does one find a competent surveyor?
Your problem will be like "NAME's List" of home repair contractors. Everyone with any common sense knows these contractors pay to have their names on the list and bad reviews are minimized. People will suspect the same of a Sailors' List.
First of all, I tried the model, where everyone can submit a resume and be listed for free, so, different from the NAMEs List. And the main idea of such marketplace was just let client and surveyor interact themselves, once met each over.
Now, I would ask you, what if website will have escrow system, similar to freelancers dot com has? In this way, all payments goes through website, the agreed budget paid by the client, but hold until job done. Then, if they both agree with quality of work and reward, the funds released to surveyor. In case of any issues, the dispute resolution will be in force.

What you, guys, think?
bolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 17:53   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 694
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolid View Post
First of all, I tried the model, where everyone can submit a resume and be listed for free, so, different from the NAMEs List. And the main idea of such marketplace was just let client and surveyor interact themselves, once met each over.
Now, I would ask you, what if website will have escrow system, similar to freelancers dot com has? In this way, all payments goes through website, the agreed budget paid by the client, but hold until job done. Then, if they both agree with quality of work and reward, the funds released to surveyor. In case of any issues, the dispute resolution will be in force.

What you, guys, think?
Thoughtful question.
I like your original model; everyone submits his/her resume and is listed without a fee. And honest reviews, with comments from both sailor and contractor.
My previous comment was about convincing sailors that this is not a pay-to-be-listed service.

How will you recover costs and some profit for your effort?

I >personally< would avoid any escrow system that stands between sailor and his/her contractor.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:28   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Finding a right surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
How will you recover costs and some profit for your effort?

I >personally< would avoid any escrow system that stands between sailor and his/her contractor.
As I wrote in my previous post, I plan to charge small fee for unlocking contact details, and posting survey quote. All fees will be adequate, just to keep my project afloat.
__________________

bolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
survey, surveyor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help finding the right boat muirgen74 Monohull Sailboats 0 05-07-2014 21:11
Bimini - problem finding right one Milan69 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 19-04-2014 09:06
Finding the right cat for me. R. Manning Multihull Sailboats 53 19-05-2013 19:04
Need help finding the right boat! Me-agan Monohull Sailboats 4 24-10-2012 19:20
Help with Finding the Right Family Sailboat llsmith Monohull Sailboats 29 15-02-2012 18:20

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.