Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2022, 15:21   #16

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel
Re: Drunks charter. Biggest pax issues

While running a dive boat in the Keys I had a customer make comments at the window where we were handing out dive gear that he was gonna do whatever he wanted on the boat and didn't care what the captain or anybody else said. Not sure why he was posturing like that, nothing precipitated it, but it happened. I looked at him and said, "Look, we want everybody to have fun on the boat but, you gotta realize that once the boat leaves the dock, the Captain is God. What he says goes and if you doubt that there will be armed sheriff's deputies at the dock to arrest you when we return." He immediately shut up and was one of the best passengers we had - even left a nice tip. I think he was just showing off to his friends and trying to test authority. Once he realized he wasn't the big dog on board, he was fine.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 15:36   #17

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Some thoughts:

First - you might want to spend some time working as a bartender (no joke). We had a family owned tavern in Wisconsin for years; you learn pretty fast how to judge the problematic customers and how to deal with obnoxious drunks.

Second - have an air-tight contract and state, in straight forward language, that passengers are expected to control themselves and are responsible for any and all damages. Take a hefty deposit by credit card and clearly state in the contract that any damage that is the result of unruly behavior will be charged to the card, in addition to a $2000 (or whatever number you choose) 'administrative fee'.
Old 20-01-2022, 15:42   #18

Boat: 2006 Leopard 40 sailing catamaran

We've been pretty lucky. One time our captain nosed the boat (40' sailing cat) up to a busy bar/restaurant to drop off a crewmember to pick up food for our guests. A drunk guy on the dock hopped on our boat accusing capt of hitting his jet ski (didn't even get close) and took a swing at capt. Capt ducked and pushed him off the boat into the water. He climbs back aboard, first mate tries to cool him down while one charter guest calls the cops over and the other puts drunk guy in a headlock. Cops said get off and it ended.
gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 15:51   #19

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
While running a dive boat in the Keys I had a customer make comments at the window where we were handing out dive gear that he was gonna do whatever he wanted on the boat and didn't care what the captain or anybody else said. Not sure why he was posturing like that, nothing precipitated it, but it happened. I looked at him and said, "Look, we want everybody to have fun on the boat but, you gotta realize that once the boat leaves the dock, the Captain is God. What he says goes and if you doubt that there will be armed sheriff's deputies at the dock to arrest you when we return." He immediately shut up and was one of the best passengers we had - even left a nice tip. I think he was just showing off to his friends and trying to test authority. Once he realized he wasn't the big dog on board, he was fine.
Similar technique I have had to use a couple of times when I was a flight attendant, very politely of course however very effective.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 16:52   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Many years back there was a female charter skipper in the SF Bay area called Wacky Jackie, a well respected operator. One morning we were monitoring 16 and heard her calling the CG, having just left her berth with a full load of pax. Seems they spotted a body floating face down in the bay. CG tells her that she should stand by until a CG vessel could rendezvous... perhaps 20 minutes. She wasn't happy with a boat load of anxious anglers. CG said "you WILL stand by until relieved... and don't loose sight of the body."

Her reply" "Not to worry, I've got a gaff in him"!

I doubt if she had any trouble with drunks...

Jim
Old 20-01-2022, 16:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Some thoughts:

First - you might want to spend some time working as a bartender (no joke). We had a family owned tavern in Wisconsin for years; you learn pretty fast how to judge the problematic customers and how to deal with obnoxious drunks.

Second - have an air-tight contract and state, in straight forward language, that passengers are expected to control themselves and are responsible for any and all damages. Take a hefty deposit by credit card and clearly state in the contract that any damage that is the result of unruly behavior will be charged to the card, in addition to a $2000 (or whatever number you choose) 'administrative fee'.
10 years now 2 off for covid I've been working where required to have alcohol awareness training. So I've been dealing with the alcohol but always with lots of backup if there's an issue.

Good idea on deposits. But would also probably keep out some people I'd enjoy having on the boat.

Maybe i can hire attorney that tore up the boat. I'm sure he's probably an expert ha . But yeah I've been lucky with my renters. My contract not real strong. & I'm in a state that is very pro tenant. But i do spend quite a bit of time on walk through & explaining the contract to make sure we're both on same page.
tennis4789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 17:00   #22

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I don’t put up with drunks, belligerent drunks are a drag, they get sassy or try to assert some form of physical dominance and it does not go well for them, I am not a tuff guy but do not tolerate un responsible behavior, my guests know it. I do not need the charter money ….I choose them.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 17:01   #23

Back in the '70's, there was a dive boat that served the California Channel Islands. Prominately displayed on the bulkhead over the helm was a semi-automatic Thompson sub-machine gun and a plaque reading, "The skipper of this boat is not a pussy". I don't recall there ever being an altercation on that boat.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 17:31   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post
10 years now 2 off for covid I've been working where required to have alcohol awareness training. So I've been dealing with the alcohol but always with lots of backup if there's an issue.
Yeah... sounds like it's 'upscale'. Work a dive bar, where you are serving directly and not making drinks for the wait staff, and there isn't any backup. That way you learn how to see trouble coming and de-escalate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post
Good idea on deposits. But would also probably keep out some people I'd enjoy having on the boat.
So you want potential troublemakers? Perhaps chartering isn't for you then.

Purpose of the contract is, first and foremost, to protect you - and your investment. Any potential customer, who sees a 'damage indemnity clause' and decides not to charter? That's someone you don't want on the boat anyway.
Old 20-01-2022, 17:37   #25
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I have been chartering my boat for 5 years, never had a problem, but I specialize in sightseeing charters, mostly little old ladies sipping wine as we slowly cruise the rivers and canals of Fort Lauderdale.
The few times people were "Partying" on the boat they behaved very well.
Never had anybody trying to "challenge" me. It would be a waste of time, got a big mouth and a big dive knife within reach.
Also I turn down sand bar trips and bachelor party trips, etc.
Old 20-01-2022, 17:51   #26

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

A lot of keyboard warriors in here. LOL

A professional captain isn’t going to attack a guest with machine guns or knives. It invites too much legal trouble. The only recourse brush doesn’t involve the authorities is to subdue the passenger.

I had the means to do that aboard but chose the safest possible path. Professional law enforcement.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 17:54   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I have taken out over 300 week-long charters, many in the Caribbean where drinking a lot is normal.
First rule is to never drink with the guests(or without them). Had problems on three charters, none were alcohol related.

Important to carefully list in the charter agreement what is unacceptable on a charter and what the consequences are. Being dropped off at closest port with no refund in normal.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 18:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
A professional captain isn’t going to attack a guest with machine guns or knives. It invites too much legal trouble. The only recourse brush doesn’t involve the authorities is to subdue the passenger.

I had the means to do that aboard but chose the safest possible path. Professional law enforcement.
Worth emphasising and repeating
(I added the bold text)
Old 20-01-2022, 18:27   #29
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
A professional captain isn’t going to attack a guest with machine guns or knives.
Don't think any captain here was talking about attacking passengers with guns or knives.
Old 20-01-2022, 18:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Don't any captain here was talking about attacking passengers with guns or knives.
Attacking? No. But it was suggested they would 'defend' with said weapons.

Tags
charter