Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2022, 07:17   #1

Drunks charter. Biggest pax issues

Last night had an issue with a drunk / drugged customer. Had security as backup. So not too big of an issue. Not sure how i would have handled on my own.

Back when driving uber 4 big guys in my prius start yelling about politics. Was waiting for fist fight to break out. Was gonna pull over take the key & let them do what they do. After dropping them at gentleman's club. One of them "faked" like he was gonna punch me.

I'm sure fishing charter captains deal with this.

What are most irritating things some pax do? Like flushing stuff other than tp down the head.

Do i need a black belt? Or just a tazer?

Screening probably go long way. But if I'm chartering & a couple gets really drunk & belligerent or if a domestic dispute breaks out. Drop em on a sandbar with no refund? Ha

Any tips for dealing with these pax? Get a bigger deposit?

Edit & need defibrillator for a heart attack? One of my current rental property month to month renters told me has no plans for his family to claim him if he dies. I joke with him his legs will be sticking out of the top of trash can on trash day.
tennis4789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 07:21   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Drunks charter. Biggest pax issues

Are you the operator of the charter or another paying customer? If former then I think you need to lay out a few simple rules. 1) you are in charge 2) you want everyone to have fun 3) when fun crosses the line you will step in.
Old 20-01-2022, 07:28   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post
I'm sure fishing charter captains deal with this.

But if I'm chartering & a couple gets really drunk & belligerent or if a domestic dispute breaks out.

You'd not mess with any of the fishing charter captains I know. They're all pretty tough dudes. They have to deal with drunks every day, I've never heard of a problem they couldn't handle.

If there's a domestic on your boat, sit back and let it play out. Don't get involved. They bust something, they pay.

Know when to keep your mouth shut. If you're a service provider, you have an opinion on nothing.
Old 20-01-2022, 07:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Know when to keep your mouth shut. If you're a service provider, you have an opinion on nothing.
Lol sooo true! Customers wanna talk about controversial stuff while I'm working. I'm out!
Old 20-01-2022, 07:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Are you the operator of the charter or another paying customer? If former then I think you need to lay out a few simple rules. 1) you are in charge 2) you want everyone to have fun 3) when fun crosses the line you will step in.
Hopefully eventually I'll be the operator.

I know ncl cruise ships control the alohol through corkage fees & slow delivery of free drinks. & not letting people have their own alcohol in their rooms.

Simple rules are simple til people make them complicated. But i advertise that i don't take heavy drinkers for renters. So bachelor parties or something hopefully stay away.

Maybe screening process.
Old 20-01-2022, 08:21   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’ve already done what you are looking to do. I have 100 ton master. I had this exact same situation happen and it’s what turned me off from doing this for a living.

I had to pretend I was going to get ice in the middle of the night but instead, I got the port police. Luckily we were at anchor when this was happening in a busy harbor.

Basically, the guy went out and got really drunk, and started getting threatening and violent basically everyone on board. I was the main target. Big guy. Really big actually.

So when I brought the police back and told him the charter was over, he went insane and destroyed the inside of the boat. The police can’t go on the boat to remove him. They can just give him a ride back. At least where I was.

So, I never did charters again after that. Well, I had a bunch lined up and I did those, but that was my last year.

By the way, there was no way to screen for this. He paid in full, had an exemplary résumé, was a big fancy attorney in Los Angeles. Well-known guy. But went literally insane.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 08:39   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Last night had an issue with a drunk / drugged customer. Had security as backup. So not too big of an issue. Not sure how i would have handled on my own.

Any tips for dealing with these pax? Get a bigger deposit?

Edit & need defibrillator for a heart attack? One of my current rental property month to month renters told me has no plans for his family to claim him if he dies. I joke with him his legs will be sticking out of the top of trash can on trash day.
I am surprised if my customer doesn't be drugged or drunk,
The solution is simply be drunk together with the customer.

But for the drunk winner is Australian and GB turist. MY customer 80% is young American IT sector, lawyer, doctor, and small business . Last year first time i have little problem with drunk rich American .Laud music in a fancy marina ,come police 2 time policemen simply say last warning if we must come again you go in jail.
what happen on yacht stay on yacht
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 08:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’ve already done what you are looking to do. I have 100 ton master. I had this exact same situation happen and it’s what turned me off from doing this for a living.

I had to pretend I was going to get ice in the middle of the night but instead, I got the port police. Luckily we were at anchor when this was happening in a busy harbor.

Basically, the guy went out and got really drunk, and started getting threatening and violent basically everyone on board. I was the main target. Big guy. Really big actually.

So when I brought the police back and told him the charter was over, he went insane and destroyed the inside of the boat. The police can’t go on the boat to remove him. They can just give him a ride back. At least where I was.

So, I never did charters again after that. Well, I had a bunch lined up and I did those, but that was my last year.

By the way, there was no way to screen for this. He paid in full, had an exemplary résumé, was a big fancy attorney in Los Angeles. Well-known guy. But went literally insane.
Guy threatened me last night. Was bit scary. Was showing pics to other people of deer he'd shot. & then talking nonsensical.

Edit: he didn't seem to be drinking really fast or anything either. I couldn't get a good read on what was happening with him. Edit edit i kept the situation pretty much deescalated but never know some crazy people out there.

Would you having the skill to choke him out have changed the situation? Not joking.

Or chartering to non drinkers / drug users? Non drinkers really cut the customer base but be better than having to deal with some bs.

Was it profitable before this incident?

Any other tips you could offer to help me out? Thanks
Old 20-01-2022, 09:52   #9

Quote:
Guy threatened me last night. Was bit scary. Was showing pics to other people of deer he'd shot. & then talking nonsensical.

Edit: he didn't seem to be drinking really fast or anything either. I couldn't get a good read on what was happening with him. Edit edit i kept the situation pretty much deescalated but never know some crazy people out there.

Would you having the skill to choke him out have changed the situation? Not joking.

Or chartering to non drinkers / drug users? Non drinkers really cut the customer base but be better than having to deal with some bs.

Was it profitable before this incident?

Any other tips you could offer to help me out? Thanks

I don’t want to sound too cocky, but, pretty much everything I ever do does well. I have a bit of a gift for marketing. If you don’t, you’re not going to make money. Every single available charter that I had on the calendar was sold out.

Choking someone out would result in you losing the boat. Bad idea.

I had some security devices aboard, but even using them you run a risk of losing the boat. Or everything you own. You cannot harm another person safely. That’s why I went to get the police.
Old 20-01-2022, 10:11   #10

I've never seen a vessel for hire (cruise ship, charter fishing, ferry, etc) that allowed drugs of any kind. They all post strict anti-drug policies with the warning that violation of that policy immediately ends the charter and forfeits all money paid.

As for violence.....You are absolutely entitled to takes actions to prevent damage to your vessel. I'd venture that there is a good degree of ethical responsibility to ensure the safety of all passengers, including the safety of one passenger from another passenger.

This whole idea of 'sit back and let it happen' OR 'choke them out' are equally absurd.

Preventing someone from having or consuming alcohol in their cabin seems to be a bit of a Nanny-State approach. We're not the morality police.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 10:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I've never seen a vessel for hire (cruise ship, charter fishing, ferry, etc) that allowed drugs of any kind. They all post strict anti-drug policies with the warning that violation of that policy immediately ends the charter and forfeits all money paid.

As for violence.....You are absolutely entitled to takes actions to prevent damage to your vessel. I'd venture that there is a good degree of ethical responsibility to ensure the safety of all passengers, including the safety of one passenger from another passenger.

This whole idea of 'sit back and let it happen' OR 'choke them out' are equally absurd.

Preventing someone from having or consuming alcohol in their cabin seems to be a bit of a Nanny-State approach. We're not the morality police.
So your charters haven't had any issues with alcohol? & you just use the right amount of force to keep them in line?

Choking them out does not =death & hopefully does not result in permanent/any injury. Altho always a risk. Should incapacitate the person.

& no matter what country I'm in i can use force if one of my pax starts tearing up my boat?

Nanny state. Can pretty much guarantee that NCL KNOWS through a person's keycard how much alcohol their customers have consumed. & perhaps using facial recognition. Maybe even how much caffeine.

Do you have any interactions with people under the influence or just talking about your experience with your own personal freedom to imbibe? Lol
Old 20-01-2022, 11:55   #12

Quote:
I don’t want to sound too cocky, but, pretty much everything I ever do does well. I have a bit of a gift for marketing. If you don’t, you’re not going to make money. Every single available charter that I had on the calendar was sold out.

Choking someone out would result in you losing the boat. Bad idea.

I had some security devices aboard, but even using them you run a risk of losing the boat. Or everything you own. You cannot harm another person safely. That’s why I went to get the police.
Sounds like you handled as best could have been.

I would have tried descalatiion. Sounds like you did. & maybe more Mach·i·a·vel·li·an. (keeping drunk unaware).
& then boot him with his hangover. & police sound like they were about as helpful as nothing.

What did he say about damage/mess he caused in the morning? Did he cover the damages or did you have to?

& my 2 lessons learned is i won't rent to lawyers. Their legal costs are always bit cheaper than mine. & marketing is probably where i need to work for next 7 years building a list/database of people that might charter from me. & Mind if i PM you?
Old 20-01-2022, 13:13   #13

Quote:
Sounds like you handled as best could have been.

I would have tried descalatiion. Sounds like you did. & maybe more Mach·i·a·vel·li·an. (keeping drunk unaware).
& then boot him with his hangover. & police sound like they were about as helpful as nothing.

What did he say about damage/mess he caused in the morning? Did he cover the damages or did you have to?

& my 2 lessons learned is i won't rent to lawyers. Their legal costs are always bit cheaper than mine. & marketing is probably where i need to work for next 7 years building a list/database of people that might charter from me. & Mind if i PM you?
He eventually came up. He smashed the place while packing his bags.

He said nothing about the damages because he got a ride ashore with the cops. Never saw him again. I had to fix everything to get ready for the next charter.

That’s it. Just wanted to let you know how it can go.

The rest of everyone was fine.
Old 20-01-2022, 13:42   #14

Quote:
He eventually came up. He smashed the place while packing his bags.

He said nothing about the damages because he got a ride ashore with the cops. Never saw him again. I had to fix everything to get ready for the next charter.

That’s it. Just wanted to let you know how it can go.

The rest of everyone was fine.
Good everyone was ok. & thanks for sharing your experience.

Would a 6 pack been sufficient for what you were doing or did you need the 100 ton?

Any hints or tips on marketing? I know some people don't like sharing the secret sauce recipe.

Thanks
Old 20-01-2022, 14:36   #15

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
You'd not mess with any of the fishing charter captains I know. They're all pretty tough dudes. They have to deal with drunks every day, I've never heard of a problem they couldn't handle.
Not all fishing charter captains are dudes.

Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter