Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 12:07   #46
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Drunks charter. Biggest pax issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You've taken my response out of context. The entire response was addressing two very different, previously proposed actions.

Action #1 (proposed): ....to 'choke someone out' in an effort to break up a drunkin' brawl.

IMHO (^^this^^) is just ridiculous. To 'choke someone out' as a method of breaking up a fight is to essentially add another person to the melee. I cannot see most reasonable charter captains referring to MMA moves in the middle of a kerfuffle.

Action #1 (proposed): ...to 'sit back and watch the entire thing unfold'. Again this seems equally ridiculous. Again, I cannot see a reasonable charter captain allowing two charter guests to potential damage the charter owners vessel, and allow two charter guests to injure each other.

At one point domestic violence was mentioned. Again, a reasonable person is not going to allow some guy to smack his girlfriend or wife around.

As to the 'Take action' portion of my response... taking action doesn't mean becoming PART of the fight. That is not what I was suggesting. I'm talking about taking reasonable attempts to diffuse a fight or any situation which is going to cause real damage to the vessel or real harm to one of the charter guests.

I stopped paying attention to this thread following some of the irrational and unreasonable responses from the OP.

My point was in relation to force leading to injury, if you intervene and in the process a person is injured by you , you will be arguing the toss with the judge
Old 21-01-2022, 13:02   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You've taken my response out of context. The entire response was addressing two very different, previously proposed actions.

Action #1 (proposed): ....to 'choke someone out' in an effort to break up a drunkin' brawl.

IMHO (^^this^^) is just ridiculous. To 'choke someone out' as a method of breaking up a fight is to essentially add another person to the melee. I cannot see most reasonable charter captains referring to MMA moves in the middle of a kerfuffle.

Action #1 (proposed): ...to 'sit back and watch the entire thing unfold'. Again this seems equally ridiculous. Again, I cannot see a reasonable charter captain allowing two charter guests to potential damage the charter owners vessel, and allow two charter guests to injure each other.

At one point domestic violence was mentioned. Again, a reasonable person is not going to allow some guy to smack his girlfriend or wife around.

As to the 'Take action' portion of my response... taking action doesn't mean becoming PART of the fight. That is not what I was suggesting. I'm talking about taking reasonable attempts to diffuse a fight or any situation which is going to cause real damage to the vessel or real harm to one of the charter guests.

I stopped paying attention to this thread following some of the irrational and unreasonable responses from the OP.
& yet here you are. Ha

After this thread:

I guess probably best way to use least amount of force to control a crazed drunk. To damage minimize damage to boat & pax.

Someone mentioned bear spray (not sure how long boat would stink) & tazor might be approved solution. Probably route cops in us would go is tazor.

Obviously avoiding any use of force would be best. Not being near crazed drunk be my most ideal. Never renting to them. Preventing them from getting too drunk somehow. Then maybe Deescalation/ Verbal control.

Choking someone out ain't adding to the brawl. If it's me & a crazy drunk. I'm already in it. Hey drunk crazy i know you want to fight right now. Hold this beer & I'll be right back i gotta go get my tazor & bear spray & some rope. Ha

& the domestic most likely gonna be caused by substance refer to drunk crazy response.

Maybe next thread will be strategies used to help people not get too drunk & ruin their & everyone else's vacation.
tennis4789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 14:06   #48

Maybe next thread will be strategies used to help people not get too drunk & ruin their & everyone else's vacation.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3559262
Old 21-01-2022, 14:19   #49

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post
& yet here you are. Ha

After this thread:

I guess probably best way to use least amount of force to control a crazed drunk. To damage minimize damage to boat & pax.

Someone mentioned bear spray (not sure how long boat would stink) & tazor might be approved solution. Probably route cops in us would go is tazor.

Obviously avoiding any use of force would be best. Not being near crazed drunk be my most ideal. Never renting to them. Preventing them from getting too drunk somehow. Then maybe Deescalation/ Verbal control.

Choking someone out ain't adding to the brawl. If it's me & a crazy drunk. I'm already in it. Hey drunk crazy i know you want to fight right now. Hold this beer & I'll be right back i gotta go get my tazor & bear spray & some rope. Ha

& the domestic most likely gonna be caused by substance refer to drunk crazy response.

Methinks you perhaps have never experienced the inordinate strength that a crazed drunk can muster, by far the best strategy is intake control, that is limiting the quantity of booze available to an individual.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 15:00   #50

In my real world job, dealing with the public is one of those things I just have to do. Most are nice, some are not. Some even cause problems, I’m not a cop, I’m not trained to deal with violence. I’m just a regular person who has to deal with ****. So you do.
Life.

Working as a sailing instructor, I never had a problem of this nature. Ever.
I did some time working, Dinner, Booze Cruises, a few minor issues, nothing serious I can recall. I used to worry more about some drunk fool falling off. So I chose not to continue.
Even so I don’t know of any fatalities locally.

Tour boats, mostly happy people on holiday, occasionally grumpy, or unhappy but mostly just having a good time. No real problems of this kind.

If you don’t like working with people, it’s not a good career choice.

My real world job, it’s not just booze it’s all sorts of things, including just plain crazy. Even so Thousands of people pass through, we have a handful of incidents, which can’t be resolved just by talking politely to people and listening to what their problem
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 15:51   #51

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3559262
Strategy works great unless it happens like my guy.

He went ashore and came back a different person.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 19:19   #52

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Depending on where you charter out of, and where you go to, bear or self defense sprays and tasers might not be legal.
Old 21-01-2022, 20:16   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Strategy works great unless it happens like my guy.

He went ashore and came back a different person.
Yep you got a bad deal on that one. But sounds like you moved on to more financially lucrative endeavors?

I wouldn't want to wait at pier for everyone to come back. But if you'd met him before he boarded could yiu have determined he was too drunk to board? Uber I'd lock my doors dsay sorry
Old 22-01-2022, 05:10   #54

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Gf is pretty awesome as far attitude. I want her to get her captain's license also. Or else she probably really isn't that committed. ... But 2023 looking more like our 1st charter trip. & then potentially getting 360 days experience on the Illinois river on a cheap boat that potentially gets scuttled/chainsawed to the dump after lol probably should get the boat in 2022 & begin the watch & hammocking.
Just keep remembering that getting a master's credential isn't a matter of paying a fee and taking four tests. That 360 days (minimum license) is UNDER WAY for a minimum of 4 HOURS. BEFORE you can get the credential.

I suspect it takes many folks a few years or so to accumulate the hours... what with other bits of life and all going on... and that pesky weather. And that pesky winter.

How many days could you be underway (for 4 hours) this week? Next week? Next month? Et cetera...

IOW, it's not like deciding to get a state driver's license.

The "good" news might be that if you start now, acquire a boat, begin accumulating sea time... by the time you qualify you will also have learned how to service, repair, or replace everything on the boat. TWICE!

-Chris
Old 22-01-2022, 05:42   #55

Boat: Pearson 424

^^
Adding to those requirements is 90 hours offshore, not gonna get that on the Indiana River!
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 05:48   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Just keep remembering that getting a master's credential isn't a matter of paying a fee and taking four tests. That 360 days (minimum license) is UNDER WAY for a minimum of 4 HOURS. BEFORE you can get the credential.

I suspect it takes many folks a few years or so to accumulate the hours... what with other bits of life and all going on... and that pesky weather. And that pesky winter.

How many days could you be underway (for 4 hours) this week? Next week? Next month? Et cetera...

IOW, it's not like deciding to get a state driver's license.

-Chris
Hi Chris.

Someone was saying i need 720 days near coastal. Nc. & 360 on Illinois river won't do anything as far as chartering in the ocean.

360 on the Illinois 4 hrs each day. Could maybe do it in 2 years with a concerted effort. But Illinois river doesn't get me closer to chartering in the ocean? I probably need to pull the application up & read it a few times.

Altho 360 days on Illinois probably gets me much closer to be a safer captain.

Easiest/laziest way to get 4 hours? Sail 2 hours up river & 2 hours down river? Sounds kind of boring. Maybe buy the a pos boat with most problems to get experience with problems quickly ha .

I guess troll for 2 hrs one way & 2 hrs other way. Fish aren't really even edible. Maybe a job of some sort on Illinois river. quite a bit of barge traffic.

What's the definition of UNDERWAY? Drifting in current back to marina considered underway?

Any software/app to use to track? In case coast guard wants to challenge?

Edit:
Is this 360/720 days really required to be safe? . Maybe a way to keep some crew from going & buying their own boat & competing with current captains? Seems incredibly looong time.

So I'm safe to sail on my own. I'm safe to sail with anyone that gets on board. But once they hand me a Ben Franklin, I'm no longer safe to do the same thing?

Edit: & these boat rental places that will hand out sailboat keys. Bare boat rentals. Aren't gonna do it if their renters are tearing up boats/drowning. The insurance would be sky high. On flip side, once i got the license keep competition down some. Unless rules got changed i guess.
Old 22-01-2022, 06:18   #57

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
a semi-automatic Thompson sub-machine gun.
You do realize that’s like saying “a red car that’s blue”
Old 22-01-2022, 07:02   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift NH View Post
^^
Adding to those requirements is 90 hours offshore, not gonna get that on the Indiana River!
I definitely gotta go read the coast guard application! Ha

90 hours? That's like 3.5 days. I can do that.

Illinois River. Not sure there is an Indiana River maybe.
Old 28-01-2022, 08:48   #59

Boat: Catalina 350

What is wrong with all of you? Imaging worst case scenarios as if by doing so you might will them into existance. Ask yourself who would want to charter a boat from anyone who harbors such dark thoughts?

This mindlessness has gripped the USA.

"A question for our time in the United States is: How have so many individuals broken free of moorings that once stopped them from an uncontrollable drift into senseless violence and mindless behavior?" WSJ 1/27 editorial

This is a boating forum, for the love of god, grow up.
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 09:11   #60

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
What is wrong with all of you? Imaging worst case scenarios as if by doing so you might will them into existance. Ask yourself who would want to charter a boat from anyone who harbors such dark thoughts?

This mindlessness has gripped the USA.

"A question for our time in the United States is: How have so many individuals broken free of moorings that once stopped them from an uncontrollable drift into senseless violence and mindless behavior?" WSJ 1/27 editorial

This is a boating forum, for the love of god, grow up.
Well, I’m my case I didn’t feel that way, yet it all happened anyway.

The guy was literally chasing me around the mast, trying to attack me while the cops were tied up to the boat waiting for him. That’s after he smashed up the master stateroom.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter