Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-01-2018, 11:07   #1

Boat: Malö 40H
A few owners too many?

Hi folks,

just looking for a sounding board for some thoughts I am having on a boat purchase.. I would love to hear people's opinion on this one.

I think the ideal boat to buy is one with a sole knowledgeable owner who has had her since new and spared no expense on keeping her tip top etc. But sometimes one might find a boat which ticks almost all the boxes (and if we all know how tricky that part can be) but well.. has not quite the ideal owner pedigree so to speak.

So the question is.. how anal about this "requirement" would you be? For example, I am looking at a boat whose PO history looks a bit like Taylor Swift's list of boyfriends. First owner had her (the boat, not Taylor Swift) for like 12 years and then subsequent 4 or 5 owners in the last 10 years or so. The first of the 4 looks like he invested a substantial amount in her and then did sail her on a circumnavigation. The following owners kinda coasted on his investment I think. She looks reasonably good on paper .. though I haven't seen her yet. She probably will need some new bits like sails and rigging but then she should be ready to go. I am willing to invest this on her etc.

But well.. the checkered owner history is putting a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm. One imagines the "adventurous" types, buying her for a sabbatical for just a couple of years and not really caring that much.. no consistency in her maintenance etc.. maybe it is just me being neurotic. Or am I justified in thinking this is a big red flag? what do you guys think?
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote