Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 00:57   #31

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: A few owners too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I don't get that either. We are speaking of 2010-11 parts. Radars, chart plotters, inverters, etc are not PC graphics cards that get 30% better in each biannual generation.
Again - not obsolete, but desire attention and understanding what happens.
Another example - I have visited Raymarine reps at the recent Dusseldorf boat show.
They have for two or three years now a much better radar than mine (which was installed 2001). Better picture/resolution and much less electricity consumption. So it seems tempting. However, the new radar cannot be connected to my current MFD (also from 2011) and to enjoy the new radar services I need to replace the MFD as well. I said thank you and walked away...
May be not a big deal, but when buying old boat, you should understand the world you live in and take your decision accordingly
Old 27-01-2018, 02:51   #32

Boat: Oyster 55

With all the salvaged boats from Hurricanes Irma and Maria that will be coming on the market, I think it is more important than usual to know the ownership history of a used boat regardless of its age. This is especially true of boats that are commonly used as charter boats.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 04:42   #33

Boat: It’s old

I thought the way with boat ownership or at least older boats was that a typical owner spends about 3-4 times the purchase price upgrading it. When she/he sells it, they'll get around what they paid for it originally, so the next owner gets the upgrades for free.

The previous 2 owners of my boat lost a metric crap ton when they sold, just as I will, when I sell.
kimtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 04:49   #34

Boat: Pearson

I m on my 14 th boat, all have had other owners except 4 that i have built. The amount of owners means little to me , the real concern is what every owner has done ,changed, and hopefully for the better which is not always the case. Seems i always get to remove a lot of junk that landlubbers have to have, and bandaids that get installed instead of doing a reair that one feels comfortable riding out a gale. Check out the boat, dont rely on someone elses dream.
Old 27-01-2018, 05:39   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It seems that the typical "family catamaran" changes hands every 3-4 years. Is this what you're looking at?
Old 27-01-2018, 06:04   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimtrang View Post
I thought the way with boat ownership or at least older boats was that a typical owner spends about 3-4 times the purchase price upgrading it.
That'd cost mote than a brand new boar, unless you buy a wreck for 1k €/£/$. I don't expect to spend more than 1-1.5x of the purchase price within the first 3 years.
Old 27-01-2018, 06:14   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A few owners too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
That'd cost mote than a brand new boar, unless you buy a wreck for 1k Ä/£/$. I don't expect to spend more than 1-1.5x of the purchase price within the first 3 years.
They like lots of toys, a/c's and long showers over that side.. also the boats are not ashore half the year in most case's.. so less of what we consider essential maintenance in the higher latitudes...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 08:08   #38

Boat: Nauticat 32

The number of owners is usually not very interesting. There are so many reasons to sell the boat soon or to keep it forever.

But if you want to take the human factor into account, the last owner is the interesting one. You can learn a lot from him, and his reliability is one factor when you estimate the (claimed) current condition of the boat. He may have spoiled the boat after the earlier owners, or he may have taken good care of the boat.

The condition of the boat and a good survey are however more important than the any of the "psychoanalysis" of the previous owners.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote