Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 08:01   #1

How many holes are too many? (Through hull)

I am installing an autopilot system and required to have couples more through hulls since unable to use same transducer.
Should I just replace with new ones and give up current instruments? (This requires major remodeling.)
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:27   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: How many holes are too many? (Through hull)

Huh??
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Huh??

Ya, how about this, is there any interface which can provide information to multiple instruments from single source?(instruments are made by different manufacturers .)
Old 17-03-2017, 08:47   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

OK, I think what we're all thinking is...

What autopilot do you have that requires thruhull transducers??? I can't think of a single Autopilot that needs thruhull transducers.....
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:50   #5

How many holes are too many? (Through hull)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
OK, I think what we're all thinking is...

What autopilot do you have that requires thruhull transducers??? I can't think of a single Autopilot that needs thruhull transducers.....

Not only autopilot system. I understand what you mean, complete nav system including autopilot from NKE.
Old 17-03-2017, 08:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Not only autopilot system. I understand what you mean, complete nav system including autopilot from NKE.
OK that makes more sense ( not what you posted). If you can't reuse the old locations? why not? are the new thruhulls smaller or larger?
Old 17-03-2017, 08:56   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

To further clarify this, higher end AP's which rely on instruments in order to operate properly, some of the data that they need to have are things like; depth, speed, salinity, sea temp. Plus any of a couple dozen more that don't require data collection from the ocean, but which are vital to their operation.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:01   #8

Quote:
OK that makes more sense ( not what you posted). If you can't reuse the old locations? why not? are the new thruhulls smaller or larger?

Both made by Airmar, length is different so either way I have to replace to new one. If this one can provide information to multiple instruments (different makes), just modified existing hall.
Old 17-03-2017, 09:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
To further clarify this, higher end AP's which rely on instruments in order to operate properly, some of the data that they need to have are things like; depth, speed, salinity, sea temp. Plus any of a couple dozen more that don't require data collection from the ocean, but which are vital to their operation.

Yes, I tried to set up very minimum. For now just compass mode but soon, speed and deapth are coming, so decided to do now.
Old 17-03-2017, 10:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Both made by Airmar, length is different so either way I have to replace to new one. If this one can provide information to multiple instruments (different makes), just modified existing hall.
Length of a thruhull doesn't decide location (unless the new ones are hitting the bottom of the cabin sole). the diameter is more important for fit. or are you talking about the length of the wires connecting? if the new ones are a larger diameter, just enlarge the existing hole. You of course need to do this out of the water!

If the old ones are airmar too, you might be able to reuse the existing thruhulls to. it might be an option.
Old 17-03-2017, 10:39   #11

Quote:
Length of a thruhull doesn't decide location (unless the new ones are hitting the bottom of the cabin sole). the diameter is more important for fit. or are you talking about the length of the wires connecting? if the new ones are a larger diameter, just enlarge the existing hole. You of course need to do this out of the water!

If the old ones are airmar too, you might be able to reuse the existing thruhulls to. it might be an option.

Dis, looks same but length is bit different, assume needing different housing. If able to use older one if that can provide to new MFD with other old instruments, is there any interface or bus to do the job?
Transducer required spec are same, so I can use old one if there is some kind of interface.
Old 17-03-2017, 12:07   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Maybe remove old the transducers and re-use the holes?

This is easy when the holes are same size OR bigger. Not so easy when new transducers are smallish dia.

I have seen boats with up to 40 thru-hulls.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 12:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Maybe remove old the transducers and re-use the holes?

This is easy when the holes are same size OR bigger. Not so easy when new transducers are smallish dia.

I have seen boats with up to 40 thru-hulls.

b.
Been there, done that! my boat came into my possession sporting 22 thruhulls below the waterline (most unused) and when I finally finish this spring, there will only be 7!!
Old 17-03-2017, 13:17   #14

First, I will try to reuse same hole even changing housing.
Thank you,
Old 18-03-2017, 08:37   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

What interfaces/networks are on you boat now, and which does the new AP need?

My boat is 100% NMEA2000. (However I do not have an AP at this time.) If you are converting and the AP can use NMEA2000, I'd go to that. (Depth transducer is Airmar P79 and connects directly to my B&G chart-reader, but that puts the info out on the NMEA network for other devices to use, as well as GPS data from the built in antenna. From what I understand, APs need a more accurate (finer detail) GPS receiver than a chart reader will usually have, but having multiple sources is not an issue.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull