Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2024, 07:50   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Removing spreaders?

My wife and I are considering buying a sailboat to use for the great loop.

This trip would require us to remove the mast several times and store it on the boat….

It seems to be that one possible way to do this would be to remove the spreaders, remove the lifelines, drop the mast onto the side deck, replace the lifelines and replace the spreaders later. We would then always try to dock on the side of the boat without the mast. This seems easier and safer than trying to support the mast high up in the center of the boat….over the hardtop or full bimini that we would really like to have over the cockpit full time on such a trip.

So what is involved in removing spreaders on an older aluminum mast? I assume they are riveted in? Could those be drilled out and replaced with some type of screws (to facilitate future removal).

Ideas?
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 08:18   #2

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'
Re: Removing spreaders?

massnspace -

I don't know anything about catamarans - but all the monohull spreaders that I've seen and worked on were attached to the spreader bracket with machine screws (bolts) or clevis pins. The spreader brackets were attached to the mast with machine screws (although it's possible that some brackets may be riveted - but none that I've worked on). You'd simply remove the spreader from the bracket. You may want to go up the mast and see what's what.

Many of the folks who do the Great Loop remove the mast and have it trucked down to a marina by their exit point and re-step the mast once to continue on their journey. I haven't done the Great Loop so I may be wrong - but it strikes me that there won't be much sailing done down the Mississippi or Tennessee rivers. You may want to consider that approach.
Old 27-03-2024, 08:21   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Most cruisers doing low clearance areas still put the mast on stands to clear the lifelines. How low is the lowest bridge you have to deal with?

Spreaders are usually just bolted on and easily removable
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 08:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
massnspace -

I don't know anything about catamarans - but all the monohull spreaders that I've seen and worked on were attached to the spreader bracket with machine screws (bolts) or clevis pins. The spreader brackets were attached to the mast with machine screws (although it's possible that some brackets may be riveted - but none that I've worked on). You'd simply remove the spreader from the bracket. You may want to go up the mast and see what's what.

Many of the folks who do the Great Loop remove the mast and have it trucked down to a marina by their exit point and re-step the mast once to continue on their journey. I haven't done the Great Loop so I may be wrong - but it strikes me that there won't be much sailing done down the Mississippi or Tennessee rivers. You may want to consider that approach.

To clarify….we are looking to buy a MONOHULL for this trip.

And….as far as shipping it. It seems to me pre-pandemic this would have been an affordable option….but now it seems all things marine related have doubled in cost, if you can even find anyone to do the work….changing times….
Old 27-03-2024, 08:48   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

In my experience you want to the mast near the centerline of the boat on a monohull because you may very well have to dock either port side or starboard side to, for example in locks. Numerous times entering a lock I've had the lock tender tell me to switch to the other side in order to pack more boats in or for wet paint, or for other reasons.
Old 27-03-2024, 09:33   #6

massnspace -

You may find the Sailing Soulianus web page interesting. They describe how and why they decided to truck their mast from Chicago to Mobile. They also mention facilities where they had their mast unstepped and stepped - and a transport company.

Sounds like you may have made up your mind to carry your mast onboard, though - so I won't revisit the mast transport option any more.

Glad for the clarification about buying a MONOHULL. Then the rest of my previous comment is even more relevant.

Good luck. Have fun!
Old 27-03-2024, 09:56   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
We would then always try to dock on the side of the boat without the mast.

I have not found this to be possible.

For example, some locks only have lines on one side of the lock. The lockkeeper tells you to use that side. On any given waterway, it isn't always the same side.

Similarly, when docking, we will usually ask for a starboard tie since we only carry enough fenders and lines for one side, but it isn't a guarantee we'll get one at our slip or even at the fuel dock, so we have to be prepared to switch everything.

Quote:

This seems easier and safer than trying to support the mast high up in the center of the boat….over the hardtop or full bimini that we would really like to have over the cockpit full time on such a trip.

I'm not so sure. The mast would be in the way, blocking access to the side decks, and would extend beyond the gunwales where it could end up in the water in rough conditions.

The customary approach of using a-frame cradles fore and aft was arrived at for reasons.

Quote:

So what is involved in removing spreaders on an older aluminum mast? I assume they are riveted in? Could those be drilled out and replaced with some type of screws (to facilitate future removal).

Typically there's a solid metal smile-shaped piece that goes through the mast and projects a few inches on each side. The spreaders are hollow and fit over it. Usually they are through-bolted to it. Since they are rarely removed, corrosion sets in and complicates removal. There are solid pieces where the spreaders attach to the shrouds, various designs but usually they clamp in place. Some are plastic and tend to deteriorate over time and will turn to dust if looked at crosseyed.
Old 27-03-2024, 10:25   #8

Kettlewell has it right. You'll save yourself a lotta grief if you keep the mast central.

The solution is simple - and cheap. Build a coupla crutches outta common 2be4 and scraps of plywood. Just use standard construction grade SHF (Spruce, Hemlock Fir - cheap and nasty). It will do the job just fine since the crutches will be strictly temporary.

The after one can step off on deck by the pushpit and be lashed to the pushpit. The forward one can step off on deck in the gutters where they are about four feet apart and be guyed to the pulpit. The mast itself, lashed into the crutches will "keep the spread" and triangulate the lot.

Look up an antique book on seamanship to find illustrations of how it was done in "real" ships before "yachting" became everyman's right :-)!

Dimension the crutches so you have about 7 feet from cockpit sole to mast when it is laid in the crutches. Now you'll hardly know you have the mast aboard as you do your deck work.

Bonne chance!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 14:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
massnspace -

You may find the Sailing Soulianus web page interesting. They describe how and why they decided to truck their mast from Chicago to Mobile. They also mention facilities where they had their mast unstepped and stepped - and a transport company.

Sounds like you may have made up your mind to carry your mast onboard, though - so I won't revisit the mast transport option any more.

Glad for the clarification about buying a MONOHULL. Then the rest of my previous comment is even more relevant.

Good luck. Have fun!
Thanks for the info…..I went to their website and they say it cost $850 to ship the mast all the way down the USA….If that is true (or anywhere near true), I stand corrected and may consider this option…..but that it seems way cheaper than I would have ever guessed….

Does anyone have any leads on shipping companies I can call to verify the current cost of such a shipment?
Old 27-03-2024, 14:49   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Does anyone have any leads on shipping companies I can call to verify the current cost of such a shipment?
Boat shippers may have extra room on the trailer when shipping another boat.
Old 27-03-2024, 14:57   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If there are drop-ins welded to the mast to take machine bolts it’s probably OK.
If you are screwing into the meat of the mast wall, repeated installation and removal will loosen the fit slightly every cycle weakening the connection.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 16:11   #12

massnspace -

According to the web site referenced in a previous comment the Soulianus folks used Albert Logistics to transport their mast from Chicago to Mobile.

They had their mast pulled at Skyway Yacht Works in Chicago and said that their experience was "great."

They mention two places in Mobile to get the mast stepped: Dog River Marina and Turner Marine. The Soulianus folks used Turner and said that their experience was "great."
Old 27-03-2024, 16:59   #13

I personally have worked with Skyway Yacht Works and would also characterize their service as "great." My Tartan was on the hard there when I purchased it, and they were extraordinarily reasonable and accommodating with the purchase, survey, launch, sea trial, etc. process as well as some minor repairs.

While we were leaving, there was a power boat having part of its superstructure removed so it could clear "that bridge."

Local story is that there are a few people who know how "that bridge" works and who are still able to operate it despite it being officially permanently closed. Probably urban legend, but who knows.
Old 27-03-2024, 17:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post

https://www.crosscountryboat.com/ - this is a nationwide boat hauler based in the Minneapolis area.

Talk to the marinas where you're having the mast unstepped and stepped and see who they recommend. See if they can store the mast and ship it for you (for a fee) and whether they can arrange to share a load with the mast from some other boat on the same itinerary.

It will be cheapest if you can find a way to share space with several other masts or to have the mast hauled when the boat hauler is returning empty from a delivery.