Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2024, 18:51   #1

Boat: Downeaster 38
Motoring from gulf to Chicago

If relocating a boat from Florida to Lake Michigan would you go up east coast or up the tenn-tom/ Mississippi?

Hans Christian 38t
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 23:47   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Motoring from gulf to Chicago

Go up the east coast. You will not be able to make headway on the Mississippi, especially in the spring.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 04:41   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

You wouldn't want to try it on the Mississippi because besides the current, barge traffic, and debris, there are very few places to stop.

Maybe Tennessee Tombigbee on a boat with a very good engine.

Either way is a massive undertaking meaning you should find a boat closer to home.

But......

In the early 1990's, I was fishing at Pickwick Dam in Tennessee one day in Winter.

The temps were just above freezing.

Anyway after not having much luck, I went over to the lake side in the early afternoon to warm up and look at the sailboats docked there.

Walking down to the dock there was an older lady probably 65-70 years old (about my age now) reading a paperback on the deck of an old boat with it's mast down.

We got to talking and she said they were headed to the Gulf via the Tennessee Tombigbee having left from Chicago a while back!

Her husband was asleep below since he was up most of the night getting them safely to Pickwick.

I thought that was pretty neat at the time.

https://lifeonaftermath.com/2018/05/...5-may-29-2018/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 07:45   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

Short answer is that you would want to go up the east coast, either to Canada and through the Welland Canal, or up the Hudson then drop the mast and go through the Erie canal.

If the boat was built to published specs and has not been modified, the top of the stick is 54.5' above the water. You can't get through the Tenn-Tom with more than 52', so that's out unless you drop the stick, and if you're doing that the Erie canal is the more attractive route. Going up the Mississippi you would have the clearance, with 100 gallon diesel tanks if you do in fact have that configuration the fuel logistics could be worked out. But, not a fun trip. Pumpouts are widely spaced to the point where that would be limiting unless you have an onboard treatment system. You'd want to switch to a solid prop to limit your losses, in anticipation of hitting a log at some point. And maybe carry a spare, too.
Old 27-03-2024, 08:54   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Needless to say, the East Coast route means you can sail a lot of the way, and the Gulf Stream can be a big boost. The trip up the Hudson to the Erie Canal is beautiful. Mast needs to come down maybe at Catskill or Castleton, then enter the canal at Waterford to head to the Great Lakes. Then the stick can go back up, but it is still a long way around to Michigan.
Old 27-03-2024, 10:25   #6

I don’t like doing it this way… but…

I think if I were to buy in FL I better just plan on trucking it up here. Expensive and hard on boat, but waaaaay quicker.
Old 27-03-2024, 10:38   #7

How much do you guys think a good condition HC 38t should sell for?
Old 27-03-2024, 11:35   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I think if I were to buy in FL I better just plan on trucking it up here. Expensive and hard on boat, but waaaaay quicker.
You could hire someone to deliver it, at least part of the way. A lot of people really like the trip--make it into an adventure!
Old 27-03-2024, 12:34   #9

Oh I’d love the adventure.

Work when I tell them I’m taking a month off to sail my yacht home… not so much
Old 27-03-2024, 13:09   #10

Twenty years ago, I joined a crew for a gentleman who summered in Chicago YC and wintered in StPete YC, to help deliver his 52' Hatteras powerboat, downstream in the Spring. it was a LONG trip, had to "jump ship" in Destin FL after more than two weeks - and this was WITH the spring freshet current. the most memorable part of the trip was how boring it was - that's a lotta country you sail (power) by -- Mid-America is really BIG -- with not much to see except the occasional coal-fired powerplant and its coal-offloading docks. Oh, and a few great cities to see along the way. We often tied to a tree along the shore next to obsolete quays... sure hope you have plenty of time to allocate to such a trip along the whole length of the Mississippi and Chicago rivers.
Wayne Gilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 17:10   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gilham View Post
the most memorable part of the trip was how boring it was

The line between "peaceful" and "boring" is a fuzzy one.
Old 27-03-2024, 17:51   #12

Jammer that is so true lmao
Old 27-03-2024, 17:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
How much do you guys think a good condition HC 38t should sell for?
Asking price:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...ian/model-38t/

They are getting to be quite old boats, insurance may be a challenge, be sure to have as a contingency on any purchase offer agreement that obtaining insurance coverage satisfactory to the buyer is a requirement.

As to traveling upstream on the river, I believe that boat would be hard pressed to go against the current and there is a lot of debris flowing the Miss. 60 horsepower and massive displacement, not a good power factor. Traveling downstream is much easier, quicker and safer as the debris is not as impactful.

Suggest you take one of the river boat cruises on the Miss. I would find the trip very boring and aggravating.

The East Coast route, now that would be grand.

Much simpler to just have the boat transported by truck or purchase from the Great Lakes vessels and avoid traveling half a continent.

Hope you have many bon voyages.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor