Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2021, 13:31   #1

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC
Motoring dismasted boat across Gulf Steam

Is it possible and safe to motor a dismasted 40’ sailboat across the gulf from Bimini to Miami? If not, what’s best way to get it back to FL?
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 13:34   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Motoring dismasted boat across Gulf Steam

why is the boat dismasted? The best way to get out of this is not getting into it.

Did you consider it is more likely the engine will fail you than the rig (if the rig is right) ?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 13:37   #3

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
why is the boat dismasted? The best way to get out of this is not getting into it.

Did you consider it is more likely the engine will fail you than the rig (if the rig is right) ?
It’s a salvage boat I’d be looking to buy. It floats and can be motored, the guy I spoke to motored it 100 nm in Bahamas, but curious if it’s safe to motor it all the way to FL that same way. Or does one need to have it towed back, or shipped, just trying to think of how to get this girl back if I buy her.
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 13:53   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'd choose your weather carefully, but if the rest of the boat is sound, the engine is good and healthy and you carry enough fuel, I don't see why you couldn't do it. It's not all that long a trip.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 13:54   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Id be very skeptical of a salvage boat being otherwise OK. Enough force to dismast a boat could also do serious structural damage. Get a knowledgeable surveyor (or at least a knowledgeable sailor) to give it a good going over before you get underway....and ideally before you commit to buying it...a cheap boat could end up costing you more than a new one.

What make/model of boat?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 14:14   #6

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Shouldn’t be a problem, BUT, try and create some type of jury rig or steadying sail,otherwise it will roll like a pig.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 14:31   #7

How would you plan that route?
Go straight across with easy easterlies and let the current carry the boat off to the north however it wants and go down the coast afterwards or try to compensate for the current to reach Miami directly?

Never been there, I just was wondering.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 14:58   #8

No mention if this is a cat or monohull.

If it is a monohull, it can be a VERY uncomfortable ride. The mass of the mast results in a much lengthened period of roll. Take that away, and the boat "snaps" from side to side. Not dangerous to the boat, but pretty terrible for the crew.

A lot depends on the design of the boat, but be prepared to stock extra dramamine.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 05:12   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
No mention if this is a cat or monohull.

If it is a monohull, it can be a VERY uncomfortable ride. The mass of the mast results in a much lengthened period of roll. Take that away, and the boat "snaps" from side to side. Not dangerous to the boat, but pretty terrible for the crew.

A lot depends on the design of the boat, but be prepared to stock extra dramamine.
Yes, this is why I asked make/model of boat...no response from OP.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 05:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Motoring dismasted boat across Gulf Steam

Well I motored a Wauqueze 37 around the same distance with its mast lashed on the coach roof from Figueroa da Foz to Peniche on the W Portuguese coast.
This coast is subject to a NW swell 12mths a year, at one stage passing Nazare (where the world record surf record of 100ft stands) we did roll a bit badly and additional support had to be provided by the owner and his mate to hold the mast in place but otherwise all went well..
I would say wait for one of the regular periods of S'ly winds which normally last around 3 days and head out on the second day.. waters should be calm enough for a reasonably comfortable trip.. set off at dawn and at 5kts average you should make it just fine.
Enjoy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 06:23   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

my concern with all the potential rolling is detritus in the fuel tank getting all shook up...and plugging a fuel filter and stopping the engine...so definitely consider that...fuel tank could also have water in it.

my # 1 advice.....get a membership in Seatow or TowBoat US.....they'll come and get you if you are close enuff.....if you are not a member....a tow will set you back big time..

don't depend on the USCG.....they are there to save lives, not boats...

I'd say 99.9% of the boats returning to the US from the B'mas are usually under power, it's a relatively quick trip, if everything goes smoothly...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 10:00   #12

Boat: Balboa 27

If it's floating now it'll likely float to Miami.
You need to really go through the fuel system/tank to ensure it keeps running. Find your window then off you go.
If it's Possible (as we have no idea what kind of boat it is) it doesn't hurt to hang a reliable outboard on it to be sure you can at least keep it pointing to Miami.
Skipper Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 10:07   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We live in South FL and have been back and forth a few times. Bimini to Miami is about 50 miles. I have motored across at times when the water was as flat as a sidewalk. Other times was under sail. Head due west and the current will pull you north to arrive at Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale. Service the engine and filters before departure, wait for calm weather or with winds from the south. Avoid any northerly winds. Have a ditch bag handy. Take all the usual safety precautions. A GPIRB is a good idea. File a float plan.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 10:10   #14

Boat: Leopard 45

It's not a long stint from the Bahamas to Miami, Have you had a survey on the boat? I'd have the engine checked out by a marine mechanic before heading out.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 10:36   #15

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Be sure to set the autopilot to minimum, as without sails the boat will yaw like mad with every wave. You have enough juice with the motor running.
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mast, motor