Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2023, 11:35   #1

Erie Canal opening questions

I am planning to bring a boat from New York to Lake Ontario this spring.

The canal opening day is May 19th.

The boat is a 40' long by 30' wide trimaran. It will not be easy to maneuver as it will not have a daggerboard - basically no lateral grip in the water. It will run at about 7knts. I have transited other canals but never done the Erie. I am concerned about traffic (constant stream of boats overtaking?) and debris in the water.

I wonder if anyone can give me an idea what to expect that early in the season? Is there typically a backlog of boats waiting to transit? I wonder if it would be better to plan to wait a week or so after opening to have an easier time on the canal.

Also, where would be a good place on the Hudson to leave the boat a few weeks waiting for the canal opening?

Does the Troy federal lock open on the same day as the canal?

Thanks!
Run-Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:10   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Erie Canal opening questions

A couple of thoughts - the opening can be delayed if water levels are high and/or there is a lot of debris inn the water. I might wait a day or two after the opening to let any rush clear. There should not be a whole lot of traffic in either direction and most people do behave sensibly. If you are doing 7 knots you will catch up to most sailboats so need to think about how to pass. A handheld VHF is useful at times.

Can't help about where to leave the boat.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:39   #3

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

There are two marinas in Catskill where you might be able to leave the boat: Riverview and Hop-O-Nose.

IIRC canal width is about 45', locks are narrower. You might need/want to address that dagger board issue. You're 50' across the corners/diagonally. You get stuck sideways and block the canal, you are going to have a lot of frowning people looking at you, not to mention the canal authority.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:17   #4

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

We went as far as Oswego in June of 22. A couple of comments.

* We actually had remarkably little traffic. Rarely were there two boats in a single lock. This may have been heavily influenced by the high cost of fuel in 22.

* As little traffic as we had going with us, we had virtually none coming the other way. So head on passing situations were exceptionally rare.

* Maneuvering is basically a non-issue. You enter Troy, and the next time you turn is when you enter the Great lakes. Lol. Seriously, all docking is on walls that are parallel to the canal, and there are almost no significant turns to be made either in transiting or when docking.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 14:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

A little info from our cruises on the NY State Canal System with lots of photos.
Cruising New York State Canal System, Erie, Cayuga, Seneca
Old 11-03-2023, 18:02   #6

Boat: Cherubini 33
Re: Erie Canal opening question

I was racing closing day (no need, they stayed open a couple of days extra to clear a half dozen stragglers) last fall when these fellows came through an hour after closing. The crew told me that the locks are open 24 hours/day for genuine commercial traffic. Saw two commercial rigs in 10 days.

Running at 7 nm/h myself (you might go a bit faster than you are used to as the water is exceptionally calm and speed increased for me and by buddy boats by a knot. Speed is not really the point of the EC. Speed limits abound and in the main,at least last fall, they are observed. It is nothing at all like the ICW

Also lockkeepers told me unofficially that pleasure traffic can in theory transit with commercial, if there is room. You wouldn’t have fit a dinghy in with this set up, and you won’t have boats rafting on your beam, but you could. This tug pusher barge was literally the size of the lock, minus room for 4x4 wooden fenders. The tug cap also told me that these are fabricated in Erie PA specifically for the Erie Canal transit. Locks are precisely 45 feet wide exactly..this barge was 44’ 8”. They were fine.

Most of the canal is way, way wider than 100’.

You can tie up in Waterford at the bottom of the first flight of locks for several days at very reasonless price including electricity (30 and 50 amp). Troy lock scheduled open is May 1, and their number is is on the website. Almost all the lockkeepers picked up phones when we called. Mainly very friendly guys and gals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B2C43EAE-6433-44F9-BDAC-9BF5124958A4.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	272679   Click image for larger version

Name:	326956A0-BD0B-4C01-B053-623625BD4E7C.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	272680  

Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:14   #7

Thanks for the all the information.

Quote:
You get stuck sideways and block the canal, you are going to have a lot of frowning people looking at you
LOL! We'll try not to be the "Ever Given"!

The way the daggerboards are rigged they need the mast to go up and down. But I could set them at a fixed depth using a crane but that would give me a fixed draft of about 5ft. They are big! I will see how the boat handles without them. I will have three people and some long poles/boathooks. And plenty of fenders!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230104_171339399.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	272708  
Run-Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:33   #8

Boat: Dufour 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
There are two marinas in Catskill where you might be able to leave the boat: Riverview and Hop-O-Nose.

IIRC canal width is about 45', locks are narrower. You might need/want to address that dagger board issue. You're 50' across the corners/diagonally. You get stuck sideways and block the canal, you are going to have a lot of frowning people looking at you, not to mention the canal authority.
Riverview has been sold and is transitioning to a floating B&B. However Hop-O-Nose is expanding to make up for the change. I am a little biased because it is our home port, but it is a good place to stay because the marina is well shielded from the heavily travelled Hudson River and within walking distance of center of town as well as big box stores if you need anything. Also has boat service including Diesel.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:35   #9

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Call Sue ,the owner of OB creek side marina in Catskill creek. She may fit you in,I left my boat there while waiting for repairs to lock 12 on the Champlain canal. Sue is a character ,a great lady.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:52   #10

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run-Time View Post

LOL

Quote:
way the daggerboards are rigged they need the mast to go up and down. But I could set them at a fixed depth using a crane but that would give me a fixed draft of about 5ft. They are big! I will see how the boat handles without them. I will have three people and some long poles/boathooks. And plenty of fenders!
Nice looking boat!

Admittedly I have never transited, so others will have better insight (I did live near the Hudson/Mohawk confluence though, and have boated there). My concern would be getting pushed sideways by wind, or propwash, in such a narrow channel. I'm guessing there is only one engine, and a single prop, so all the steering is with the rudder. Bow thrusters would be a godsend.

You might also try and get a read/idea on depth near the canal sides. If the boards can't be raised/lowered, 5' might be too much, and keep from you from being able to get close to shore.

As a possible alternative: can you go north to lake Champlain, and from there to the St. Lawrence? Not sure if that would be a better route, given your size, and it would take more time. Just throwing it out there.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:19   #11

Boat: Cherubini 33

I doubt you need any daggerboards, but you know your boat. There isn’t much to provide lateral force at any point along the way. Possibly you could see a crosswind on Lake Oneida, but I imagine she tracks straight without crabbing in normal cruising, and if so, you’ll be fine.

FWIW, I draw 5’ 9” and I never had the least problem pulling up to sea walls, locks, town docks , etc.

Again, FWIW, there is a large gin pole at Castleton Yacht Club that could possibly function as a crane (?) if you need to raise/lower the daggerboards en route.

It’s a lovely trip! Hope you enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
LOL

Nice looking boat!

Admittedly I have never transited, so others will have better insight (I did live near the Hudson/Mohawk confluence though, and have boated there). My concern would be getting pushed sideways by wind, or propwash, in such a narrow channel. I'm guessing there is only one engine, and a single prop, so all the steering is with the rudder. Bow thrusters would be a godsend.

You might also try and get a read/idea on depth near the canal sides. If the boards can't be raised/lowered, 5' might be too much, and keep from you from being able to get close to shore.

As a possible alternative: can you go north to lake Champlain, and from there to the St. Lawrence? Not sure if that would be a better route, given your size, and it would take more time. Just throwing it out there.
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:04   #12

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I second Gary's comment on draft near the edges. If you somehow built a 5-ft draft, you would have very little concern. Much of the canal, even where not developed, is fairly steep sided. We draw seven, and except for just after Lock 19 where the water was five and a half feet deep, draft was just not an issue.

Also the castleton yacht Club is an excellent idea for setting the dagger boards. Their $55 service fee is a no-brainer. We opted not to, as we weren't real comfortable pulling our own 64-ft mast.

Remember if you set those boards part way down, keep air draft in mind. I seem to recollect something in the high teens as the limit.

Glad to see the shysters at Riverview are out of business. They quoted us a price per foot to pull the mast and overcharged us nearly 50% with no explanation.

If you can't use the boards, could you make something out of plywood?
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:50   #13

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:

The way the daggerboards are rigged they need the mast to go up and down. But I could set them at a fixed depth using a crane but that would give me a fixed draft of about 5ft. They are big! I will see how the boat handles without them. I will have three people and some long poles/boathooks. And plenty of fenders!
That's a cool boat. Could you please share some details? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2023, 13:14   #14

Boat: Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
If you can't use the boards, could you make something out of plywood?
^that
Pull the boards out and cut a sheet of plywood that will give you a 2’ fin. Toss them away when you get back to big water.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 13:25   #15

Boat: Nonsuch 30

There is one lock (Little Falls) that requires you to tie up on the south wall. Best thing to do is go south wall for all the locks so you can make a semi-permanent set up for fenders, boards and even your mast. Have a few fenders on starboard side for tying up at night along lock walls if they are only available on that side so you don't need to turn around.

Tags
canal