Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2023, 13:29   #16

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Erie Canal opening questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante33 View Post
FWIW, I draw 5’ 9” and I never had the least problem pulling up to sea walls, locks, town docks , etc.

My concern/question about draft is more about in the canal 'proper', and his ability to get to one side to allow traffic to pass.

Another 'brain fart': does the canal authority know who/what is in the canal at any given time/is there any traffic control? I mean - what happens if he meets another multi-hull, barge, or something wider than 15' coming the other way?
Old 12-03-2023, 13:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
There is one lock (Little Falls) that requires you to tie up on the south wall. Best thing to do is go south wall for all the locks so you can make a semi-permanent set up for fenders, boards and even your mast. Have a few fenders on starboard side for tying up at night along lock walls if they are only available on that side so you don't need to turn around.
Good advice but...

He is 40' long x 30' wide. Although not a perfect rectangle (the outer hulls are shorter than the center) on a diagonal he is quite possibly wider than the canal; there is no turning around unless there is a 'basin'. Even then, he isn't going to pivot around a fixed point; making a u-turn will take a lot of jockeying... unless he has thrusters.
Old 12-03-2023, 17:12   #18

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post

My concern/question about draft is more about in the canal 'proper', and his ability to get to one side to allow traffic to pass.

Another 'brain fart': does the canal authority know who/what is in the canal at any given time/is there any traffic control? I mean - what happens if he meets another multi-hull, barge, or something wider than 15' coming the other way?
It sounds like you're still operating on the assumption that the canal is narrow. It's not. The locks are 45 feet wide, but even in the narrowest sections, the channel is at least 100 feet wide save for maybe a couple hundred feet before or after a lock. Most places are significantly wider than 100 feet. A quick search says design width is 120 feet, so that's the narrowest I'd expect to encounter.

As far as traffic control, there is none.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 17:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
It sounds like you're still operating on the assumption that the canal is narrow. It's not. The locks are 45 feet wide, but even in the narrowest sections, the channel is at least 100 feet wide save for maybe a couple hundred feet before or after a lock. Most places are significantly wider than 100 feet. A quick search says design width is 120 feet, so that's the narrowest I'd expect to encounter.
Well then, in the words of the late, great Gilda Radner/Anna Rosanna Danna:

"Never mind"

Thanks I stand corrected. I was under the impression that canal portions were ~45'. Wider in the river(s) of course.
Old 12-03-2023, 17:29   #20

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Well then, in the words of the late, great Gilda Radner/Anna Rosanna Danna:

"Never mind"

Thanks I stand corrected. I was under the impression that canal portions were ~45'. Wider in the river(s) of course.
The original build was that narrow, but the later iterations that survive today were widened significantly as boats became self propelled and larger.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 17:33   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The original build was that narrow, but the later iterations that survive today were widened significantly as boats became self propelled and larger.
Old 12-03-2023, 17:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
That's a cool boat. Could you please share some details? Thanks.
It is a Rapido 40, designed by Morelli & Melvin. https://rapidotrimarans.com/rapido-40
Run-Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 06:19   #23

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run-Time View Post
It is a Rapido 40, designed by Morelli & Melvin. https://rapidotrimarans.com/rapido-40
Thank you.
Cool boat. Enjoy it!
Old 17-03-2023, 06:35   #24

Boat: CS 27

There's probably some concern about the width if there is another wide boat crossing paths in some certain narrow areas, but I think that would be minimal. The bigger concern I would have is getting spun around at the bottom of one of the locks with the currents. I have a smaller monohull, so I don't know how a boat like yours would behave without the daggerboards... maybe it's a moot point. But, I've had a couple times where the currents coming out of the draining locks or from the neighboring dam make for a fun time keeping things straight. Once, I got sucked away from the lock entrance and into the swirl from the dam and had to go for a little ride downstream to get turned around and come back at it with more attention and intention.
edventuredad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 06:36   #25
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

We went up the canal from Waterford to Oswego a few days after it opened one year. Opening was delayed a few days because of high water. The upper Hudson and tributary creeks were running very fast.

The only places we were concerned was turbulent waters on the entrances and exits of some locks that are immediately adjacent to dams. It was fine, but caused some rocking and rolling.

Travelling the Erie in other parts of the season was very peaceful.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 07:18   #26

Boat: Catalina 375

It has been a while however I did the transit in 2012 with a 40 ft monohull with 6'10" draft. Maybe a bit more for all the weight we were carrying. Lake Champlain to Oswego. Hit bottom twice, one in Champlain canal, my fault and once at resto near Utica NY. Utica was pure mud and just required a back out. I went late May and found a lot of debris. I was twisted in one lock due to water pressure. My biggest problem was the mast. It was longer than 40' boat and kept wanting to hit the walls of the locks. Obviously it was the furler. Learned very quickly how to keep the bow off the walls. We left fenders on both sides but did south side whenever possible. Hit Lake Oneida in a blow and it was difficult to manoeuvre with top heavy boat. My biggest bitch about the canal was the freight trains at night. They tracks run beside most of the canal and the tracks are busy.

With your boat size I would say keep an eye out for large diameter locations behind and in front. I found most people in the canal used AIS so that helped knowing what was coming. Chart plotter will keep you abreast of canal widths in front of you.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:00   #27

Boat: 1982 Tashing Panda 40 Pilot House

We did the Erie upbound in 2003. We went over a log in one of the rivers. We have a 3/4 cutaway keel with a protected barndoor rudder and prop (Bob Perry design). We went up and over and I yelled "speed bump." If we had a hung rudder or a non-protected prop, we would have been in a world of trouble. Careful if your daggerboards or temporary rudders do not swing.
-Bruce, 40 Tashing Panda sailboat
bpappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 10:53   #28

Boat: Cherubini 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by edventuredad View Post
There's probably some concern about the width if there is another wide boat crossing paths in some certain narrow areas, but I think that would be minimal. The bigger concern I would have is getting spun around at the bottom of one of the locks with the currents. I have a smaller monohull, so I don't know how a boat like yours would behave without the daggerboards... maybe it's a moot point. But, I've had a couple times where the currents coming out of the draining locks or from the neighboring dam make for a fun time keeping things straight. Once, I got sucked away from the lock entrance and into the swirl from the dam and had to go for a little ride downstream to get turned around and come back at it with more attention and intention.
The locks in the Erie Canal must have been quite a technological marvel when the latest iteration of those locks were built in the early 20th Century. The water enters and exits the lock through a series of pipes inside and under the locks themselves. Think of your bathtub with a dozen evenly spaced drains. So the water doesn't really flow at all as you rise and fall. There is virtually no current so maneuvering in and out of the lock, as well as maintaining control in the lock is virtually a non issue. When the gates open, the water has done all of its moving. There was no ‘surge’ as in many other locks. We speculated that when these locks were designed they were seeing regular clunky barge traffic with small underpowered tugs and this made it easier for them to operate with small crews.
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 17:51   #29

Thanks for all the tips. I will be ready for turbulence in the locks and downstream of the locks. I've done the Weland canal, so I know what that feels like. My prop and rudder would be vulnerable to floating debris so I will have to keep a good lookout on the bow. I will allow some extra time for delays, and just take it as it comes.
Run-Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 10:49   #30

We came up the Erie and down the Oswego in 20…had t wait out a late lock opening on the Oswego for a week…free trips, Fri entertainment, nightly teens running to rest for takeouts….we had great time on the canal. Lot was closed because of covid and preseason. Catskill was very helpful with stepping mast. I had help building a set of horses to secure….make sure you secure movement for and aft, you’ll catch some passing boat wakes!! Restepped mast East side of port good people.

Enjoy the ride….

We re now in Sawmill Bay (Chaumont) NY

Peter B Dayger
S/v Minerva. III
pbdayger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal