Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2021, 10:59   #1

Origo 6000 stove/oven

I have a unpressurized Origo 6000 alcohol stove/oven in working order with the 3 gas containers and 1 set of pot holders. I live in western Washington, it works great I just finally moved to a propane oven since I have a propane water heater. These things are impossible to find since Dometic discontinued these after buying development rights. From what I have found $1,500 is a good price for this. Let me know if interested.
You can still buy the fuel containers "DOMETIC ORIGO Fuel Container" and pot holders "Dometic ORIGO Pot Holder 4001"
Markfj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 05:56   #2

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Re: Origo 6000 stove/oven

500 would be a 'good' price. 1500 is close to the cost ofa new one
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 06:04   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
500 would be a 'good' price. 1500 is close to the cost of a new one
Do you have a link for a new one close to that price? The problem is there aren't any and as they seem to have a cult following, then it's a sellers market.

However, $1500 is ..........

Personally I can't see what the attraction is. Gas wins hands down from price to availability and easy of use. Like any fuel just needs a bit of care like meths.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 14:56   #4

I used 2 different fuels both worked fine. I think there are like 4 different fuel types you can use. I even remember someone posting about making a fuel source with paint thinner, and unleaded fuel and I think there was another ingredient.
The big seller is the fuel is not pressurized so insurance is happy, you don't need electricity also depending on where you go - it might be hard to get propane. Many people love these because they are bullet proof and i think some people are nervous about pressure gas. Also I can say that it can boil 4 cups of water in like 7 minutes.
I have only used the oven a few times so I can't say much about the oven, I think I have cooked a smaller pizza and lasagna. I don't remember anything worth commenting about other than the oven is slightly narrower than a full size

(The use of paint thinners or petrol in an origo stove is not recommended and potentially highly dangerous, Moderation Team).
Markfj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 13:18   #5
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

I have two 2 burner Origos (one countertop model on the boat, one for cookouts) and I love them.

I use "methyl hydrate" as fuel. it's available in hardware stores by the gallon around here.

I used an Origo oven, years ago. It was small and the flame often went out when I opened the oven, but that is true of many boat ovens. I have a small boat so the space loss vs. utility of an oven is not worth it for me.

(I bake on the Origo stovetop using an Omnia wonderpot or on the stern rail BBQ.)
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 18:43   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markfj81 View Post
I have a unpressurized Origo 6000 alcohol stove/oven in working order with the 3 gas containers and 1 set of pot holders. I live in western Washington, it works great I just finally moved to a propane oven since I have a propane water heater. These things are impossible to find since Dometic discontinued these after buying development rights. From what I have found $1,500 is a good price for this. Let me know if interested.
You can still buy the fuel containers "DOMETIC ORIGO Fuel Container" and pot holders "Dometic ORIGO Pot Holder 4001"
Is this still for sale?
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 07:28   #7

Boat: 1966 Bristol 29

I see this is an older post, but I still have to comment on it as I was able to see it on the Internet today. 2/13/24

He has gone Silent
I hope it’s not because he used the homemade fuel mix he suggests in the above post.

I just had to weigh in on an important safety issue. This type fuel combination is very hazardous in an unpressurized stove.

Do not use anything but denatured alcohol or equivalent in Origo nonpressurized stoves.

One of the beauties of Origo stoves is that it uses a polar fuel, denatured, alcohol ( or methylated spirits outside the US) that allows the fire to be extinguished with water..a good thing on a boat… you got plenty of it at hand.

You will absolutely burn your boat down to the waterline and have physical damage to yourself, if you use the homemade combination fuel suggested in the post above. I don’t want to even say it or repeat it on the Internet.

I’m not sure why he suggested it.
Obviously he’s not accustomed to using a nonpressurized Origo.

To the moderators on the site, I do believe that you should pull this post so this information doesn’t permeate the Internet, we have a chance to catch it before someone tries this…..

Thanks!!!
Eidolon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 07:39   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Agreed and warning added to the post.

Peter
Old 13-02-2024, 08:11   #9

As per the Origo manual:

CAUTION! USE ONLY DENATURED ALCOHOL.
Never use gasoline, kerosene, methanol, propane, charcoal
lighter, diesel or other flammable substances or fuels. Uncontrollable operation and flare-ups can result and cause serious burns or personal injury.

It is my understanding that 'white gas' (Coleman/ Camp Fuel) SHOULD NOT be used either.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 00:17   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
As per the Origo manual:

It is my understanding that 'white gas' (Coleman/ Camp Fuel) SHOULD NOT be used either.
That's petrol but without the additives for automotive use. Had a Coleman stove for camping, but just not stable enough to consider using on any sort of boat.
Old 14-02-2024, 15:58   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

$1500 is a bargain. These stoves are terrific and the used supply is extremely limited as few owners want to sell theirs.

We aleady own an Origo 6000 and love it. Ours is gimbled and heavy enough to be quite stable. It heats a bit slower than propane, but not significantly slower. No hoses, valves or propane storage and no explosive gases. The fuel can be had at most paint or hardware stores for significantly less than at marine stores. No propane locker needed.

The stoves are indeed bullet proof. Our 11 year-old 6000 still works like new and polishes up to near-new condition. The oven will bake cakes, roast meat, do brownies and muffins and make pizza nearly as fast as a gas oven.

Personally, I think $1500 is a great price for such a stout, safe, useful and rare stove. They are extremely durable but, sadly, no longer made. Rarity drives the high price. If anything, the price may rise in the future as the durabilty, utility and safety of these fine stoves becomes more widely known.

Gasoline in stove fuel? Hmmm . . . A good idea if you only want to use the stove once.

Cheers to all. Spring's a-comin.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 19:51   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markfj81 View Post
I used 2 different fuels both worked fine. I think there are like 4 different fuel types you can use. I even remember someone posting about making a fuel source with paint thinner, and unleaded fuel and I think there was another ingredient.
The big seller is the fuel is not pressurized so insurance is happy, you don't need electricity also depending on where you go - it might be hard to get propane. Many people love these because they are bullet proof and i think some people are nervous about pressure gas. Also I can say that it can boil 4 cups of water in like 7 minutes.
I have only used the oven a few times so I can't say much about the oven, I think I have cooked a smaller pizza and lasagna. I don't remember anything worth commenting about other than the oven is slightly narrower than a full size

(The use of paint thinners or petrol in an origo stove is not recommended and potentially highly dangerous, Moderation Team).
I have an Origo stove, and I'd never use a cannister that had been soaked with gasoline or paint thinner, or anything except for the alcohol they were intended for.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
origo, oven, stove