Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 19:58   #496

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Re: What is Your Favorite Quote?

Does anyone know the one that is something like this...

"(Something about when you're gone you're gone there's) not a nickel to love, and no friend to call you a fool."

I remember seeing it as one members signature. Here or on another site.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:48   #497

Boat: Sea Ray 440

Col Jessup: "Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to."
CaptJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:56   #498

Boat: Balboa 27

Good judgement comes from experience.

Experience comes from poor judgement.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:47   #499

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJB View Post
Col Jessup: "...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it..."
Firstly CapJB, though I discern your agenda driven quote is rather lengthy for what I believe this threads intention was, Col Jessup was OK up until he crossed the line when he says, and I quote; "....question the manner in which I provide it [freedom]."

We live in difficult times. Make now mistake about that. However, today we are seeing the results of an unquestioning faith in Col Jessup and those who serve us in positions of authority. From our local police departments, to the very heads of our government, the results of unquestioning faith has resulted in what is called "blow back" from those who are oppressed, or who's rights are violated, usually in the name of some glorious cause, (i.e., peace, freedom, democracy, and security). Today we all see that unquestioned authority is now reaping the financially profitable seeds it has sewn around the world, and now We the People get to pay for it not only with our wallets, but with our dwindling freedoms, and virtually non existent privacy. So I wonder; what if your Col Jessup had simply lived up to his initial stance and remained on his wall in a defensive posture, rather than jumping off and charging forward to invade others for his corporate friends greed and interests? Would we not be in a safer, stronger, and far less hated position today?

Sometimes short quotes are not only more elegant, but also more powerful. So in closing, I offer two for you to ponder;
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
Albert Einstein

And...

"The enemies of freedom neither fear our guns nor our God. They fear the munitions of truth. Truth always chambers up, neither jams nor misfires, and hits it's target without fail."
WireLess1
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 14:27   #500

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

"The enemies of freedom neither fear our guns nor our God. They fear the munitions of truth. Truth always chambers up, neither jams nor misfires, and hits it's target without fail."

Good one Wireles1.

Ann
Old 02-02-2015, 14:36   #501
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Good one Wireles1.
+2
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 18:03   #502

Boat: csy 37

A man who will exchange his freedom for security deserves neither.

I think thats a quote from Ben Franklin.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 18:05   #503

I'm just as concerned about the people who are protecting us as I am about the people they are protecting us from.

Thats a quote from me.
Old 02-02-2015, 19:15   #504
cruiser

Man, did you guys ever miss the boat.

There is no problem at all with what Col. Jessup said.

Why?

Because he's not real. He's a fictional character in a movie about a series of events that never happened. The lines spoken by Roger Rabbit, Col. Kilgore and The Terminator all have equal validity to what Col. Jessup said.

It's extremely amusing that someone has a favorite quote that is a line in a movie, but that's a separate issue.

Getting wrapped around the axle because someone chooses a Bugs Bunny quote for their favorite quote simply means that the rest of us require popcorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I'm just as concerned about the people who are protecting us as I am about the people they are protecting us from.

Thats a quote from me.
That quote simply makes me believe that if you're afraid of the people you need to be protected from and you're afraid of the people protecting you, you're afraid of everyone.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 19:22   #505
cruiser

When the government violates the people's rights, insurrection is, for the people and for each portion of the people, the most sacred of the rights and the most indispensable of duties. ~ Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 20:06   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Man, did you guys ever miss the boat.

There is no problem at all with what Col. Jessup said.

Why?

Because he's not real. He's a fictional character in a movie about a series of events that never happened. The lines spoken by Roger Rabbit, Col. Kilgore and The Terminator all have equal validity to what Col. Jessup said.

It's extremely amusing that someone has a favorite quote that is a line in a movie, but that's a separate issue.

Getting wrapped around the axle because someone chooses a Bugs Bunny quote for their favorite quote simply means that the rest of us require popcorn.
We require popcorn? And fiction has no bearing on anything because it is, well, fiction? I hope you are not serious with that statement, because could he, George Orwell would be laughing at your from his grave these days. There is everything wrong with what the fictitious character Col Jessup said (was it really Bugs Bunny?). In my opinion a work of fiction does not give itself a free pass to unethical or immoral statements simply because it's in a fictional movie. My response was to an agenda driven 'favorite quote' and was to the pertinent statement (not where it came from), which, like it or not, is quite relevant today, no matter it comes from a work of fiction. There are many authoritarians that hang on the very words of your fictional Col Jessup. If someone expounding upon the need for unquestioned faith in our authoritarians does not "wrap you around the axle" a bit then I suggest you are not paying attention to what is going on, while at the same time being distractingly proud of knowing verbatim quotes from a movie....but maybe that's just me. As for me? I am guilty of not knowing quotes from Bugs Bunny movies I guess. So be it, because I find more serious bases to cover these days, and animated movies are not high on my list. I am happy you've had a nice laugh though, and happy too that you were exposed to Einstein's quote, which did not come from a movie. Peace, and truth...
Old 02-02-2015, 20:15   #507

Ah... I see with a little research it's not a Bugs Bunny movie, but, "A Few Good Men".
Old 02-02-2015, 20:33   #508
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

And to return to the original question:

No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
Deferential, glad to be of use, 115
Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
Almost, at times, the Fool.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 21:34   #509
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
And fiction has no bearing on anything because it is, well, fiction? I hope you are not serious with that statement, because could he, George Orwell would be laughing at your from his grave these days.
In my opinion a work of fiction does not give itself a free pass to unethical or immoral statements simply because it's in a fictional movie.
yap, yap, yap.
What?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:05   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
That quote simply makes me believe that if you're afraid of the people you need to be protected from and you're afraid of the people protecting you, you're afraid of everyone.
Then read it again. I didnt say "afraid". I said "concerned". Big difference.

For "afraid" I have another saying.

Be not afraid of any man,
No matter what his size.
When danger threatens,
Call on me,
And I will equalize.

Unknown 19th century author referring to his Colt Single Action Army revolver, AKA "The Equalizer".