Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2024, 11:16   #1

Boat: Contest 50CS
cockpit cushions Are they necessary?

I bought my boat used about 5 years ago ant it came with custom cockpit cushions. Other than seeing how they fit and look I have never used them and they tale up a lot of storage space. I was thinking that they may be more appropriate for the med but not sure. I have two collapsible chairs that I find more usable. Would like to know how others use their cockpit cushions and if they think I should sell them.
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:23   #2

Re: cockpit cushions Are they necessary?

They can be nice for sure. Many people are anchored 95% of the time! And in lower latitudes with the great weather you spend most time in the cockpit.
But if you actually have room for chairs, maybe not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:17   #3

Boat: Adams 45

I have both leg-less deck chairs and cockpit cushions. The cushions cover the cockpit seating area, and on my steel boat they are essential- really uncomfortable sitting directly on the steel. We use the seats on the areas surrounding the cockpit, and sometimes at anchor we put the seats on top of the cushions. The cushions are good because the seats would be an obstacle when we're underway. If you don't find a use for them, maybe store them ashore until you KNOW you don't want them.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 13:27   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We kneel on our cockpit cushions when using the winches. Cushions make it easier on one's knees. But, it is a monohull. If the cushions are still good, I'd stow them inside garbage bags, or something similar, to keep them clean and hang them in the barn or garage. (Use light string to suspend them, so rodents can't get at them) Such things are made only to fit your model boat, and will not have a general market, but the next owner of your boat might like to have them.
Old 04-03-2024, 14:03   #5

I'm not getting onto any sailboat without cushions in the cockpit. Life is suppose to be enjoyed.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 14:39   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Hmmm, we use our cockpit cushions 100% of the time. The minute we get on the boat the cockpit cushions are out and stay there until we put the boat away. Our cockpit is so deep and sheltered they won't blow away no matter what.
Old 04-03-2024, 14:44   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
I'm not getting onto any sailboat without cushions in the cockpit. Life is suppose to be enjoyed.

^^ This. I don't get not using them every time. Of course, they need to be an all-weather design. I don't understand the fair weather only, don't get them wet type.

And they are great insulation in cold weather (the OP is Canadian).
Old 04-03-2024, 14:53   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My only reticence about them is, if you step on them when they are wet, or the deck is wet under them, will you or they slip?
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 15:06   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For a big boat like that, perhaps they didn't think of that, and failed to have the cockpit cushions made so that they can't slide off. [Usually this is done by installing a bolt rope track, and having a luff rope tape sewn to the underside of the cushion, so you can slide it in. They then don't slip and slide, even if wet.]

If the OP's cushions are not set up that way, it is an easy home sewing job to put the tape on the cushion covers, and a relatively simple install for the track, available from sailmakers and trim shops.

Ann
Old 04-03-2024, 19:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
My only reticence about them is, if you step on them when they are wet, or the deck is wet under them, will you or they slip?

They must be solidly attached. Obviously. Lamentably, too many skip this step. As JPA states, this is not difficult. It can be done more simply with ties to eye straps. Snaps are a possibility, but often they are (foolishly) placed on the front edge, where they don't actually stop sliding well. They are also convenient, but less reliable than other methods.

You should be able to jump on them in any manner, at any heel, without any concern that they will move. They should give better traction and the bare seats. That has been my experience, on three boats so equipped.
Old 04-03-2024, 21:15   #11

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

I have cockpit cushions made of closed cell foam. They're not as "cushion-y" as dri-fast foam, but they provide a firmer footing and can be used as flotation devices if someone goes overboard accidently (or on purpose, for floating around the boat on a warm summer day).

I'm thinking about making a set of thicker dri-fast foam cushions for day sailing around the Bay with friends - but I haven't convinced myself to put in the effort yet.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:24   #12

Boat: IP 44

IMO cockpit cushions are a requirement. But everyone is different. As mentioned, I like closed cell foam and an outdoor cloth. I made mine out of vinyl coated mesh like material. Very strong, washes easy, and can be used for floatation. I can stretch out on them, save my knees, etc. In addition, they are very expensive if you ever price them.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:58   #13

Boat: Contest 50CS

Thank you foe all the comments. Greatly appreciate them. The cushion are snapped in place and also the backrest. but when sailing the backrest covers the VHF hand held storage also the tailing cubbies. I'll try one more season with them. Again thanks for the input.
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailone3032 View Post
Thank you foe all the comments. Greatly appreciate them. The cushion are snapped in place and also the backrest. but when sailing the backrest covers the VHF hand held storage also the tailing cubbies. I'll try one more season with them. Again thanks for the input.

Maybe add some cut-outs? They sound worth saving, to me.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:05   #15

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

We had a full set of fitted cockpit cushions. I got rid of them. There are just too many times when one has to stand for some task or another in the cockpit. I felt very unsteady when standing on the cushions, because any motion of the boat just made the footing less stable.

Tags
cockpit, cushions