Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2017, 15:55   #1

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Sailing and Mental Health

I came across this link: Out of the blue: The healing power of the sea - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It explains one's mental health can be (possibly) improved by being out on the water.

I would say a very good initiative.
Old 25-03-2017, 16:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing and Mental Health

Day tripping maybe.. but a multi day passage not so sure.. and definitely not solo..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 16:47   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Sailing and Mental Health

I'm with Boatie on the too much solo time can be unhealthy thing. Geometrically so given what it does to your energy levels, especially if/when coupled with sleep deprivation, stress, & poor food, etc.
But otherwise, I think sailing's one of the best prevention cures there is. Lots of clean air, exercise, socialization, travel, meeting new folks, exploring new places, & trying new food. Sure there are definitely stresses that go with. But in a lifetime of sailing, I'd say that sailors are happier than most, so long as they're doing a sufficient amount of it. And many of those stresses that go with are healthy ones that make us excercise our minds & bodies. Think of all the mental work that one does when pilotage planning. And then doing said piloting.

Tom Sawyer, & Huck Finn had it right. Or as an ex put it, "I like a guy with a little bit of Peter Pan Syndrome".... part of him hasn't quite grown up, likes to play, explore, meet folks, incite mischief, steal kisses, etc. And can do a little bit of magic when called for, or just for fun.
That says sailor to me BTW, she was/is a kiteboarder. And loved to play too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 17:46   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

I think the stress is different. A 9-5er, 2 kids big mortgage, career pressure etc etc is a constant stress or maybe a non fluctuating stress , always there eating you away. Cruising on the other hand is a much lower level of stress with intermittent stress spikes. Today I'm sitting in a flat anchorage with no plans other than dribbling on this forum while drinking coffee (no stress unless we talk about multihulls) two nights ago I was wobbling down wind, sleep deprived wondering (worrying) if weather was going to decorate.
I think no stress with spikes is the more natural and healthy way, the norm is a creeping death of sameness combined with constant life sapping stress.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 17:53   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

My wife has told me that I am as wild as a March hare and she attributes it to all the years .I spent at sea, much of it single handing and working with folks as crazy as I am! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 19:14   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Low Carb diet also helps great depression.

As for people with mental health problems no going to sea for long passages - no reasons given - must be just plain wrong.
Get away by yourself without the pressure of the world. Wonderful.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 19:19   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
sleep deprived wondering (worrying) if weather was going to decorate. .
1st world problem....
Old 25-03-2017, 20:16   #8

It's not just marine related. Mother Nature needs her attention, without a mobile phone or any other electronics. Solo, or in pairs. It makes no difference. Mountains, streams, lakes, fields, woods, deserts, and "clam flats" are good places for mental health. Yup, oceans also. That's one of the troubles with today's society. Too many people with their faces glued to cell phones, video games, and social media.

In the '60s, my mother would walk to the TV, click it off, and say "Time to stop watching cartoons. Go outside, run around, and play in the woods and snow. Go for a swim. Get out of the house." - Smart woman.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 20:25   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Day tripping maybe.. but a multi day passage not so sure.. and definitely not solo..

Right on!...I worked in Mental Health as well as a Chemical Dependency facility. Most of these people feel out of control most of the time. The last thing they need is the challenges that can take place while sailing days on end.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 20:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Right on!...I worked in Mental Health as well as a Chemical Dependency facility. Most of these people feel out of control most of the time. The last thing they need is the challenges that can take place while sailing days on end.
Nothing personal, yet I completely disagree. I think that is exactly what they really need.

Then again, I suppose it depends on the level of their dementia. There should be "AI" robots stationed at the end of all docks that can "eye scan" and determine the likelihood of complete insanity, thus allowing the subjects whose problems are too deep to just have a rowboat or canoe to zip around the calm harbor for awhile.
Old 25-03-2017, 20:54   #11

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

It's interesting how a get-a-way, even a short one can make a huge difference in the way you feel physically and emotionally. It's been blowing pretty hard on the Gulf Coast the past few days, so not really good for enjoying much sailing. I took a trip up to the lake about 83 miles North of here on Wednesday and only stayed for a day and night, leaving the next morning. I didn't sleep well at all. Somehow I failed to secure the fly on the tent well and it kept waking me up. Yet, when I was leaving I was in a great mood and had enjoyed some time out of phone service.

Long stretches aren't for everyone. Just like anything else you should work up to them. You don't have to go hundreds of miles offshore to get away from the lights of the city and bothers of the cell phone. Even just hopping around a lake or bay can be a nice break. If you're having a good time, stay as long as you can. There's lots of time to busy your mind, but you've also got to be focusing on what you're doing out there.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 20:58   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I agree! My uncle was diagnosed as schizophrenic and through him I met a lot of people "on the edge". Many were brilliant but small stresses could push them into a psychotic state. Many would do fine with drugs, but could not manage their medication well.
And if the issue is depression, one needs to be on a rising tide to see benefit of "sticking with the program". Otherwise it's just a downward slide.
Old 25-03-2017, 21:27   #13

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

[.......
In the '60s, my mother would walk to the TV, click it off, and say "Time to stop watching cartoons. Go outside, run around, and play in the woods and snow. Go for a swim. Get out of the house." - Smart woman.[/QUOTE]
Play in the snow, and go for a swim? Hehehe, I suppose in different seasons?
I think you're right, lots of activities in or with nature is good for one's mental well-being.I have not seen any research that shows that sitting in front of a screen is beneficial in any way shape or form.
I guess this way, sailing is beneficial.

I also tend to agree with Boatman when he believes that sailing solo on long trips may not be good if one's mental stability is in question to start of with.
Old 25-03-2017, 21:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
[.......
In the '60s, my mother would walk to the TV, click it off, and say "Time to stop watching cartoons. Go outside, run around, and play in the woods and snow. Go for a swim. Get out of the house." - Smart woman.
Play in the snow, and go for a swim? Hehehe, I suppose in different seasons?
I think you're right, lots of activities in or with nature is good for one's mental well-being.I have not seen any research that shows that sitting in front of a screen is beneficial in any way shape or form.
I guess this way, sailing is beneficial.

I also tend to agree with Boatman when he believes that sailing solo on long trips may not be good if one's mental stability is in question to start of with.[/QUOTE]

Yup!! She threw me outside of the house all the time, regardless of season. No joke.
Old 25-03-2017, 22:16   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Nothing personal, yet I completely disagree. I think that is exactly what they really need.

Then again, I suppose it depends on the level of their dementia. There should be "AI" robots stationed at the end of all docks that can "eye scan" and determine the likelihood of complete insanity, thus allowing the subjects whose problems are too deep to just have a rowboat or canoe to zip around the calm harbor for awhile.
Disagree away but just using the word dementia tells me you know nothing about mental illness or fear based chemical dependency.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, men, sail, sailing