Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 02:35   #61

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Sailing and Mental Health

I think those who had the courage to share their health problems, insight or experience here, in a public forum, very encouraging, very special and deserving applause. All those have my utmost respect.
Old 28-03-2017, 02:37   #62

Boat: wharram tiki 26

So I have been in and out of institutions 2.5 times a decade over the last 34 years.
I have coped in extremely stressfull situations like combat and two near drownings.
This did not send me to the nuthouse. In fact the army loved my work,I enjoyed it immensely at the time too,if i am honest.
I regard myself as intelligent,practical skills i enjoy. But as has been mentioned before,with mental health you can lose your job,money,friends,family more than a few times over, during your formative years. I have been in gnarly situations with the police,once screaming with long guns pointed at me to get down on my knees hands on my head.
For a fleeting second I wanted to run at the bastards. Thankfully i complied and they took me away in the waiting ambulance.

I will sail away and be happy out there most of the time. If I become manic,rather out there than back on land. I am tired of being institutionalized. So with the blessings of Odin I hope the naysayer will be proven wrong in my case.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 02:38   #63

I gould guess that getting out on a boat has some therapeutic value for one's physical and mental health. One has to be more aware of the envirronment, process more information and this is kind of mental exercise that you simply don't do on dirt or do it for very different things.

Life on board even for a weekend seems healthier than sitting in front of a screen or stuck in traffic. You can turn your phone off and focus on the immediate environment and your interior environment as well.

We always feel better have a stint on the boat.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 02:40   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Furthering your ignorance you have tried to define my education and age. I doubt you really want to know the answer to either since you have been so single minded. But allow me to entertain you so you can take another cheap shot. My major at the University of California, Santa Cruz was Psychology, Human behavior, Drug and Alcohol studies. I'm well into my 60's and no one really cares what you use to call peoples dependencies.
Cheap shot? No. Just reality. And speaking about what people care about, my degree is from Cal. Do you know Cal. It's the University of California, Berkeley. A few steps above UCSC, and a little bit to the northeast. As for real science, and from what I often observe posted here at this forum, there's more mental illness from "wishing to go sailing" than "actually sailing".

Please carry on, doc.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 02:51   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I gould guess that getting out on a boat has some therapeutic value for one's physical and mental health. One has to be more aware of the envirronment, process more information and this is kind of mental exercise that you simply don't do on dirt or do it for very different things.

Life on board even for a weekend seems healthier than sitting in front of a screen or stuck in traffic. You can turn your phone off and focus on the immediate environment and your interior environment as well.

We always feel better have a stint on the boat.
Bingo!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 04:51   #66
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think the key issue in this discussion is STRESS.

They say that sailing can be days of boredom, interspersed with moments of sheer terror.

My friends who have had some form of dysfunctional mental issues, often did not handle stress well.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 05:12   #67

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. I think it is a good take. Any physical activity in the field will do. You want people to be active and to associate. Both things are present in sailing daytrips.

This is also why people who apparently do not suffer from any mental challenges do sailing: to live a meaningful moment.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 05:31   #68

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

They say that sailing can be days of boredom, interspersed with moments of sheer terror.

My friends who have had some form of dysfunctional mental issues, often did not handle stress well.

Actually for many with certain types of mental illness or those on the edge so to speak, it's the boredom that's dangerous because there isn't enough to simulate the brain and keep it on the correct track.

Sometimes with too much boredom the mind will start to over analyse or create it's on world

For many with this sort of mental illness, high stress is best because the brain is busy working the problem
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 05:52   #69

Boat: Island Packet 31'

To my way of thinking, Michael's initiative represents the kind of human progress I can believe in. As one who has been prescribed by doctors, because of unfortunate family, work-related and financial circumstances, to take anti-depressants and potent anti-psychotics to put me to sleep I can say for certain that drugs are not the answer and make matters worse. I purchased a sailing boat a couple of years ago for the purpose of using it to cure not only myself but others like me. The boat has been on the hard since my purchase of her because the medicine I am taking for sleep has unfortunate side effects that makes it impossible to hold a job and support my endeavour. However, I truly believe in what Michael is working at and would pray to be part of it.
red_marine_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 05:54   #70

Yes.

When longer term and under stress. But what they are doing here is short term daysail trips. This is probably the right amt of stress to get one going and not so much that one goes over the edge.

Remember about the other facet - long periods of no stress when you sit in your room, often alone. People with disabilities can be the most alienated. Think of it.

Here, in Spain, it is very very common to see people with all kinds of challenges participate in everything - our life is 'in the street' and the way we live here is by participation and support and sharing. Pretty unique. I think it takes the right climate and the right social history.

I used to live in one of the central European countries, in Scandinavia and in NZ. In none of those societies could I see too many handicapped people taking part in everyday life of the community. And not just that the communities there seem to be less accommodating but also that their climate simply does not promote too much of agora life.

So, to sum it up, I think such daytrip sailing should work very well for everybody.

b.
Old 28-03-2017, 07:32   #71

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:

My experience has been days of fun and adventure , interspersed with moments of sheer terror! It seems to me that my life has always been this way. I remember when I was 17 and first year at collage, a friend of mine's Father told me the definition of life was "a succession of one dam-d thing after another". At the time, I thought it was a joke.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 07:49   #72

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Cheap shot? No. Just reality. And speaking about what people care about, my degree is from Cal. Do you know Cal. It's the University of California, Berkeley. A few steps above UCSC, and a little bit to the northeast. As for real science, and from what I often observe posted here at this forum, there's more mental illness from "wishing to go sailing" than "actually sailing".

Please carry on, doc.
Now that I can agree on. We have our fair share of "looking for the next boat" people. As far as one U being steps above the other is hilarious. You can't take a dumb s#!t and make them smart through an instituation. You might want to look at that....ah, maybe not.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 12:41   #73
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
I think those who had the courage to share their health problems, insight or experience here, in a public forum, very encouraging, very special and deserving applause. All those have my utmost respect.
Well said Hank.
For far too long we don't tell/don't talk about mental conditions that disturb us.

I remember when I was aged 5 to 9, my mother worked at a mental institution in Scotland.

During the summer holidays, she would take me with the patients, when they had an outing to swim in the river.

Being so young, I did not recognize or understand the distrust and fear that the locals showed them. They were just my new friends to play and swim with.
Made me realize how unfair it is that some still stigmatize mental problems while accepting physical challenges.

I found this interesting.

https://www.intrusivethoughts.org/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 12:59   #74

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

This seems to haven gotten a little deep. When working I would shed the vest and jacket and walk a marina. I would single the Piver just for the quiet.
A good vent for frustration. Nuts I don't think so.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 14:00   #75

Quote:

I found this interesting.

https://www.intrusivethoughts.org/
Thanks for sharing! I found this very interesting too.

I was thinking about the fact that living the sailing / cruising life gives one a better chance of being accepted by fellow citizens (= other sailors and cruisers). For 'what is normal' is a way broader term here than it is in the regular land life.

So, we are blessed in a way and I think it is a good thing to share this blessing.

Regards,
barnakiel

Tags
health, men, sail, sailing