Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2024, 09:35   #1

Electric scuba tank compressor

Howdy

Wondering if anyone has experience recharging Full size scuba tanks with an electric compressor. Looking around on Amazon it seems that most high-pressure compressors are for paint balllguns. I did find one heavy duty one, not cheap, but doesn’t matter because it’s unavailable right now on Amazon

https://a.co/d/aypifqH

Trying to stop burning carbon based fuels for all the needs. Switched over to all electric cooking, got rid of the generator, Added more panels and a big battery bank. It’s all going great, I just need An electric compressor that can confidently ( and relatively quickly ) fill Scuba tanks

Rather than a discussion of if this is a good idea, I am looking for real life experience on a boat with a compressor like this. Hoping to avoid buying one that’s not going to perform

I’ve read reviews that say some of the compressors are so slow it would take hours to fill full-size scuba tank. These Compressors are for paint guns

Appreciate anybody’s advice
Thank you so much

Lobo
Don Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 09:48   #2

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Electric scuba tank compressor

I think Mantus makes one but it is very pricey.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 10:03   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The best dive compressor (IMO) is the Bauer Junior II. I have one on board and it fills a dive tank within 20 minutes. They have both 110v and 220v versions.

The question is more of the size of your inverter; the inrush of current when doing a cold crank is high, after that the demands are surprisingly low.
Old 07-05-2024, 14:42   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380

I run an alkin 3 hp 240V compressor. The 5kW genset with softstart barely starts it. If u can use Li to run a 5kW inverter, that would be sweet. We pump steel tanks with nitrox to 3600psi.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 01:48   #5

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Best, fastest compressors are diesel engine driven. Off the main or a generator with necessary hp.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 04:33   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The best dive compressor (IMO) is the Bauer Junior II. I have one on board and it fills a dive tank within 20 minutes. They have both 110v and 220v versions.

The question is more of the size of your inverter; the inrush of current when doing a cold crank is high, after that the demands are surprisingly low.
The BAUER ‘JUNIOR II’ and ‘OCEANUS’ [portables] come with an air purification system and fill hose, and they are safe, reliable, 3-stage compressors designed for serious sport divers.
Available in single-phase 115/230 VAC and 3-phase 230/460 VAC electric motor, gasoline, or diesel engine drive.
JRII is designed for filling an individual SCUBA or SCBA. It is neither designed nor intended for filling cascade storage systems of any kind.
PRESSURE: Up to 5000 PSIG (345 BAR)
CHARGING RATE: 2.9 to 4.9 SCFM (82 to 139 L/MIN)
POWER: 1.5 to 6 HP (1.1 to 4.5 kW)
https://www.bauercomp.com/applications/scuba/portables

See Michael McFadyen’s excellent technical commentary on:
“COMPRESSOR CHOICES” ➥ https://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.inf...php?page_id=16
Quote:
“... We looked at the available compressors and decided that the Bauer Junior-II compressor was what we wanted. much more ...”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 04:54   #7

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

I really know nothing about it and reviews are scarce, but I do like the quality of Mantus products. Draws 13amps at 110v (probably more at startup). Only fills to 2750psi.

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-scuba-compressor/

https://youtu.be/_ojSW0b3kOQ?si=uELFWYt0311cnI0x
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 05:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
I really know nothing about it and reviews are scarce, but I do like the quality of Mantus products. Draws 13amps at 110v (probably more at startup). Only fills to 2750psi. [compared to 5000 PSIG - 3000 PSI is considered a standard pressure]
https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-scuba-compressor/
https://youtu.be/_ojSW0b3kOQ?si=uELFWYt0311cnI0x
Also, only fills at 35 liters/min, compared to at least 82 L/min, for the Bauer JrII.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 20:46   #9

Boat: Oyster 66

I have an electric Coltri. A good alternative to the Bauer. A little cheaper too
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, Cuba, electric, scuba