Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 13:20   #16

Re: Diving compressor

Mantus just came out with a scuba compressor that looks pretty impressive. Not for commerical dive boats, but for the rest of us, it seems to be a good viable option. It's also selling like hotcakes since the lead time is over a month. But its 110 at 13 amps max draw (so that handles LRA amperage, but not sure if it goes lower after meeting the LRA) which is pretty decent for a decent air compressor at 2900psi

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-scuba-compressor/
Old 14-04-2021, 13:22   #17

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Coronado View Post
For the electric Bauer compressor, what’s the minimum genset size needed to power it? Would something like an Onan 5 kw handle it or would you need a bigger genset?

Depends. I think it would work. Because dive compressors are ordinarily started unloaded (minimal pressure in all stages), they are not particularly difficult to start.

The Bauer comes with either a 3hp or 5hp motor. The 3hp has a smaller motor pulley and so runs the compressor at lower speed.

It is possible to run an even smaller pulley (and possibly also then use a smaller motor) at the expense of reduced cfm output, up to a point. It is also possible to use an oversize starting capacitor on the motor. These are techniques that would make sense if, after investing in an installation, problems occurred with starting.

Another possibility would be to find an old 3hp repulsion-induction motor and use that. They have much improved starting properties compared to capacitor-start motors, at the expense of size and efficiency.
Old 14-04-2021, 13:56   #18

Boat: J/42

I've got the Coltri / aka MaxAir gas-powered unit. I wish it were electric or engine-driven but I just don't have the power on board. The compressor itself is very small so it would be easy to find space for if not for the gas engine. Parts have been pretty easy to get.

It lives on board bolted to one of the cockpit benches.

Capacity - it's fine for two people diving one or two tanks a day. We have used it with four people before, but it ends up running all day.

Noisy- Running this thing in a quiet anchorage is the fastest way to become the most-hated boat in the area. It's best to run it on the way back from the dive site. Or on passage the next day if the water is flat. But we end up more often leaving the boat and taking the zodiac to nearby dives so that doesn't always happen.
Old 14-04-2021, 14:11   #19

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

If filling more than 4 tanks without a break, a small compressor not built for continuous use will work fine.....for some time..... then it will become a problematic waste of money, their are continuous use small compressors but they are not the cheap ones. I use a 7 CFM unit run by a Honda 7hp gas motor that lives in a deck box on the fire deck, it will fill 8 tanks 4 at a time in +/= 2 hours, we dive allot....
Old 14-04-2021, 14:18   #20

Boat: J/42

That little Mantus unit looks quite attractive, but I see the rated flow is less than half of the Coltri - prolly wouldn't want to try to use it for more than one tank a day. Looks like they are basically marketing it for use with their pony bottle system.
Old 22-04-2021, 14:49   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Our dive plans are pretty low volume. The 2 of us could get by easily with 2 tanks on board and the Mantus scuba compressor. 4 tanks would be better. We would not be diving every day so filling 2 tanks in the mornings when it is cooler and diving every other day could work out well.

In any case I've gone ahead and ordered the Mantus compressor just to get on the back order list. Also, the price is right!

It would be nice if someone who has one speaks up.
Old 23-04-2021, 03:05   #22

Boat: Amel 50

Not big choice then. But Colti seems to be most reasonable.
Old 23-04-2021, 03:25   #23

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

I have a Bauer Junior II which I have owned for over 20 years. When I owned my yacht and cruised up to Queensland and dived the GBR, I changed the electric motor to petrol. Easily capable of filling four tanks a day (back home I regularly fill more). All you need to do is ensure you add a hose to the air intake and put upwind.

As to running on a generator, from experience I know that a 5 Kw genset will not operate a Junior II.
Old 23-04-2021, 08:30   #24

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Our dive plans are pretty low volume. The 2 of us could get by easily with 2 tanks on board and the Mantus scuba compressor. 4 tanks would be better. We would not be diving every day so filling 2 tanks in the mornings when it is cooler and diving every other day could work out well.

In any case I've gone ahead and ordered the Mantus compressor just to get on the back order list. Also, the price is right!

It would be nice if someone who has one speaks up.
As I mentioned, I haven't learned to scuba yet, but this is how I imagine I would use it, mostly as a supplement to snorkeling/freediving. The size of the Mantus compressor is much more realistic to be able to fit on most monohulls. I suppose if diving is one of your main passions, you'll find something to sacrifice in order to fit a larger compressor on board.
Old 23-04-2021, 08:45   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
That little Mantus unit looks quite attractive, but I see the rated flow is less than half of the Coltri - prolly wouldn't want to try to use it for more than one tank a day. Looks like they are basically marketing it for use with their pony bottle system.
Why is it only rated to 200bar Surely the world is on either 232 or 300 bar now. Well except for the Germans, lovely DIN valves and regulators, running at 200 bar. Was a little miffed to get a partial fill
Old 01-05-2021, 12:31   #26

I’ve got a 1984 era Bauer electric motor driven unit mid Atlantic seaboard area that works well. When I was using it for diving back in the day It was powered by a 7.5 genset, but I believe a five would run it. If I were doing it again I’d go with a hookah system rather than scuba. I did utilize tanks in some nice deeper dives at the Berlinghas (Portugal), but most work was done at depths a hookah can accomplish. There’s not a market for my unit as it’s close to forty years old, so I’d sell it for a couple of hundred dollars. I’d love to get it to somebody in the Bahamas out islands who could get a bit more work out of it. Fine German machine, with parts still availble ( though it’s required none but filters and crankcase oil).
Old 02-05-2021, 04:14   #27

Hi everyone... we did end up purchasing an L & W 100 E for our Lagoon 450 and it has been working out well. It's set up for 220 50Hz and was an easy install as our boat is the same electrical system. We installed it's own ac outlet with a 16A breaker right in the same breaker box as our water maker and washing machine. Runs like a charm and fills tanks in less than 15 minutes (~ maybe 1000 psi remaining in the tank). We carry 4 tanks on board and fill them when appropriate as the compressor is quite loud. I can't imagine not having scuba equipment on board. We've already needed to pull a prop to remove a bunch of fishing line. We can run our heavy power usage stuff on either a Koehler 7.5 kw genset or an Onan 11.6kw genset. We purchased for the convenience so we are not searching for fill stations or an unnecessary amount of tanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	237634
Old 04-05-2021, 12:51   #28

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

I bought the Mantus compressor and its on its way currently. It looks like it will do the job well, and can run off our LiFePo4 batteries to fill a tank. We don't dive a lot, but we don't want to be stuck somewhere without air and not be able to dive.
Old 04-05-2021, 13:10   #29

Coltri MCH6 - comes in either petrol or electric, mine is electric.

Will run on 6Kw Genset with soft start, and 8Kw without.

Fills a bottle in about 25 minutes.

Compact, and, I have found, reliable.

Inevitably they are noisy.
Closed Thread

Tags
compressor, diving