Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 18:14   #1

Boat: Hylas 46
Best stowaway bikes for cruisers??

Hello Members..... what (brand/model) would you recommend for a stowaway peddle bike for a cruising sailboat boat?

And if your a cruiser.....would you recommend a peddle bike for the boat?

Thanks
Don & Gloria
Old 21-01-2021, 18:57   #2

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Best stowaway bikes for curisers??

We have used Zizzo pedal bikes for more than one year and put innumerable miles on them. The only maintenance I've ever had to do was oil the chains and put air in the tires. Periodically, they go on sale. I think their price now is a little over $300. The bikes fold up and it into what's called a dust cover (actually a bag with a handle). The Zizzo website has a list of accessories. We bought the rake in the back. On this rack, we fix a Big Ant folding crate. The crate helps you carry heavy loads (e.g. a gallon of milk, oil, etc.). We would buy new Zizzo bikes in a minute if something were to happen to the ones we have. One thing to consider is if you would like a lighter folding bike. But, you will pay much more for a bike with this feature.
Old 21-01-2021, 19:07   #3

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

Where do you start - there are so many out there. 30 years ago we bought a matching pair of Dahon Mariners which were invaluable. We used them as basic transportation as well as our little cargo trucks for propane, diesel and food when restocking the boat.

We would fold them up and put them in the trunk of a taxi. We would have the taxi go to the highest point on the area then we would spend the day riding down, great fun.

We are expert riders and Dahon at the time were what you got. After 30 years the bearings are shot, forks bent, and we break spokes a lot. We still use them because who would be crazy enough to steal them?

I have a beautiful Brompton, that I use for traveling. They are great for taking on trains and busses but you have to watch them like a hawk. Our local bicycle store was looted of them in one of our "demonstrations". Expensive, but worth it as they are like 95% as good as a full sized bike, but we don't have them on our boat.

I can quote the Amsterdam bike rule - if you have a 20 pound bike, you need a 30 pound lock and if you have a 49 pound bike, you can get by with a one pound lock. So you want a good bike but not one that will attract too much attention.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 19:56   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

We found our bikes to be rather cumbersome. We took them home and bought e-scooters instead. They take up far less space and serve similar purpose. The bike was definitely better for long distances and hauling a lot of groceries, but they just take up so much room on the boat.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 20:05   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

I have a Montague Crosstown. Great bike but doesn't fold down as small as most other models. Depends how much space you're willing to devote to the bikes.
Old 21-01-2021, 20:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
We have used Zizzo pedal bikes for more than one year and put innumerable miles on them. The only maintenance I've ever had to do was oil the chains and put air in the tires. Periodically, they go on sale. I think their price now is a little over $300. The bikes fold up and it into what's called a dust cover (actually a bag with a handle). The Zizzo website has a list of accessories. We bought the rake in the back. On this rack, we fix a Big Ant folding crate. The crate helps you carry heavy loads (e.g. a gallon of milk, oil, etc.). We would buy new Zizzo bikes in a minute if something were to happen to the ones we have. One thing to consider is if you would like a lighter folding bike. But, you will pay much more for a bike with this feature.
Thumbs up De reckoner....I was telling Gloria...we would need some sort of box on the rack for toting supplies. What is the ant folding crate? Looked at the Zizzo site. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemsteraak View Post
Where do you start - there are so many out there. 30 years ago we bought a matching pair of Dahon Mariners which were invaluable. We used them as basic transportation as well as our little cargo trucks for propane, diesel and food when restocking the boat.

We would fold them up and put them in the trunk of a taxi. We would have the taxi go to the highest point on the area then we would spend the day riding down, great fun.

We are expert riders and Dahon at the time were what you got. After 30 years the bearings are shot, forks bent, and we break spokes a lot. We still use them because who would be crazy enough to steal them?

I have a beautiful Brompton, that I use for traveling. They are great for taking on trains and busses but you have to watch them like a hawk. Our local bicycle store was looted of them in one of our "demonstrations". Expensive, but worth it as they are like 95% as good as a full sized bike, but we don't have them on our boat.

I can quote the Amsterdam bike rule - if you have a 20 pound bike, you need a 30 pound lock and if you have a 49 pound bike, you can get by with a one pound lock. So you want a good bike but not one that will attract too much attention.
Like the taxi idea, so did Gloria, LOL. Reason for the thread, Gloria spotted two older Dahon's on FB (Market Place) 350$ for the pair, excellent condition...but, research put them in the 1980's with brace somewhat close to the seat that ran up to just below the handle bars. ;( Looks like Dahon makes some pretty good bikes! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
We found our bikes to be rather cumbersome. We took them home and bought e-scooters instead. They take up far less space and serve similar purpose. The bike was definitely better for long distances and hauling a lot of groceries, but they just take up so much room on the boat.
Cumbersome....is my thought as well. Ummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I have a Montague Crosstown. Great bike but doesn't fold down as small as most other models. Depends how much space you're willing to devote to the bikes.
Space is an essance for sure....more than likely going all the way around. Sure would be nice to have a couple of go mobiles! Thanks!
Old 21-01-2021, 20:53   #7

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Tern first choice.....
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 21:52   #8

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran

I would add that where you are mostly going to be has a far greater impact on the decision than the size of your boat and what type bike you can fit.

Personally, I lugged around a rather heavy homemade pedal-electric hybrid bike from Bellingham, WA up to Alaska, down to California, and over to Hawai'i. Over all those sea miles I can say that it was absolutely great to have that bike and its decent payload capacity when hauled out in Bellingham working on my boat, and I also benefited a bit from having the bike when I was tied to a dock on Hornby Island. But that has literally been all the beneficial use it received before (despite being stored in a dry area) the salt air took enough of a toll that it needed replacement chain and a good amount of TLC simply to simply make it ride-able again so I gave it away...

From a purely practical standpoint, if you tend to frequenty be either anchored out and/or attached to a mooring ball at various locations I'm unaware of any times that it hasn't been far more trouble than its worth simply to take a bike back and forth to your boat (even more so if needing to do a beach landing/launch and there is a decent amount of swell... also depending on location you may or may not be able to leave it locked onshore at night without being stolen by morning...). A pricey folding bike like a Montague Allston in a huge drybag would make it far more feasible to take back and forth between boat and shore, BUT depending on where you are cruising it might be even harder to keep that type of a bike from getting stolen than a brand new Yamaha outboard...

If most of your cruising time is spent at various docks then having a bike makes a lot more sense, but I am only aware of a handful of pretty expensive folding bikes being able to come anywhere close to the performance of a full-size bike that costs a small fraction as much as a folding bike... As a result, I would suggest buying a relatively cheap used bike at the places where a bike is most beneficial to you, and then simply selling/giving it away when you leave.

Dave
Old 22-01-2021, 06:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Tern first choice.....
Nice site and great lookn' bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySky View Post
I would add that where you are mostly going to be has a far greater impact on the decision than the size of your boat and what type bike you can fit.

Personally, I lugged around a rather heavy homemade pedal-electric hybrid bike from Bellingham, WA up to Alaska, down to California, and over to Hawai'i. Over all those sea miles I can say that it was absolutely great to have that bike and its decent payload capacity when hauled out in Bellingham working on my boat, and I also benefited a bit from having the bike when I was tied to a dock on Hornby Island. But that has literally been all the beneficial use it received before (despite being stored in a dry area) the salt air took enough of a toll that it needed replacement chain and a good amount of TLC simply to simply make it ride-able again so I gave it away...

From a purely practical standpoint, if you tend to frequenty be either anchored out and/or attached to a mooring ball at various locations I'm unaware of any times that it hasn't been far more trouble than its worth simply to take a bike back and forth to your boat (even more so if needing to do a beach landing/launch and there is a decent amount of swell... also depending on location you may or may not be able to leave it locked onshore at night without being stolen by morning...). A pricey folding bike like a Montague Allston in a huge drybag would make it far more feasible to take back and forth between boat and shore, BUT depending on where you are cruising it might be even harder to keep that type of a bike from getting stolen than a brand new Yamaha outboard...

If most of your cruising time is spent at various docks then having a bike makes a lot more sense, but I am only aware of a handful of pretty expensive folding bikes being able to come anywhere close to the performance of a full-size bike that costs a small fraction as much as a folding bike... As a result, I would suggest buying a relatively cheap used bike at the places where a bike is most beneficial to you, and then simply selling/giving it away when you leave.

Dave
Thanks Dave, very informative. You have some great points and see the benifits N & S. America...once in the S. Pacific, not so much. Europe...yes. The latter, pick up bikes there.

Fairwinds!
Old 22-01-2021, 08:24   #10

Boat: Xc-45 2018

Hi there,
We have two Brompton bikes on board, very pleased - also can buy padded «cases/bags» for transport / stowage - high quality and well buildt

https://www.brompton.com/
Colin Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:36   #11

Boat: Island Packet, 525, 52'

If money is not a critical concern I would recommend Brompton. They are pricey, but for a reason. They are very lightweight and durable and will fit in a Lazerette if it is not too crowded. We test rode many brands and models. After test riding the Brompton we knew we would have to pony up and get them. So far the only maintenance has been to spray some lubricant on the chain. They have been great for hauling groceries, propane bottles, etc. We got ours at Two-Fold bicycle shop in St. Petersburg, Florida. They were super to work with.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:39   #12

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

If you are in Malaysia the answer would be or was easy. We bought two Aluminum folding bikes there for 150$ and they have been indispensable for a dozen years. We still use them daily now on the hard here in Guatemala. They are three speed. The spokes and forks are steel as is the chain of course and the seat frame. So they are super light, important for moving and storing them. They take up a berth fwd when we do not have visitors or the passage way from main to aft cabin when we do.

We started out from Canada with nice mountain bikes but stored them topsides. Bad idea! We have heavy duty storage bags with padding for the folding bikes making for dent free moving down below and no corrosion.

We would not think of cruising without them.

Jim sv Gaia
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:41   #13

I had folding mountain bikes and later folding small bikes (16" ?) I FAR preferred the small bikes with no gears and pedal brakes. We went many miles on those bikes and they are comfy and easy. The mountain bikes discouraged us from even biking.

A bike "officianado" will not approve. But for us they were perfect. Watch a BMX video sometime if you think they are not adequate!

Bikes with gear shifts, cables and etc are difficult to store on a boat. Those things catch on everything stowing or removing. They are also big and cumbersome in the dingy.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:49   #14

The Dahon folding bikes were the cruiser gold-standard for years. Cheechako's comment about no-gears and pedal brakes has merit in my mind. Simple is probably better, but having gears is definitely nice.

I have a pair of Dahon Mariner's for sale that have been in my garage for the longest time - purchased around 2003 or so (one is a 5-speed and a 7-speed). More information in classified ad of this CF if interested. Due to shipping costs, really only practical for local-pickup.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...fl-245178.html

BTW - someone mentioned the bike shop in St Pete that specializes in folding bikes. It really is a cool place - definitely worth a look if you're nearby and in the market for a folding bike.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:52   #15

I met in Portugal a Frenchman who told that there were only two places in the country selling tires for his Brompton.

It could be a reason to buy a bike made of standardized parts if you go to remote regions and/or with few cyclists.
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote