Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2024, 11:15   #16

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Re: cockpit cushions Are they necessary?

We got rid of ours in our fourth year of full-time cruising. We have two sport-a-seats that we use instead, and if we have people over for sundowners we let them sit on those while we sit on the blue square throwables.

The cockpit looks bigger without them and is definitely cleaner.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:52   #17

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

I can't imagine a cruise without cushions. How long can your butt tolerate sitting on a hard surface? How long is it comfortable? We spend much more time at anchor or visiting a marina than underway. When not moving, swimming, or ashore, what are you doing? If it involves sitting, you need the cushions.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 13:19   #18

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I made my cushions so yes I think custom cockpit cushions are necessary. Fit all the many reasons described. I double hand a lot and we sleep in our cockpit sometimes underway. For the push pits (2 helms) I am building captains chair style closed cell cushions.

I do understand that in your standard single helm cockpit stepping on the cushions to get around the wheel can be a pain in the A$$ or in a tight cockpit but we have plenty of space.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 13:32   #19

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

We use ours only at anchor. Too much risk of slipping with one if used under way. But even then, very glad to have the cushions.
Old 05-03-2024, 14:00   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

My cushions can't slide (tied down) and offer better traction than the non-skid under them. They are not at all cushy, more like a wrestling mat. Enough to prevent fiberglass ass and to add warmth in the winter. Why would I want to sit on bare fiberglass? And how much did we pay for a boat with rock-hard seats? You wouldn't buy a car like that.
Old 05-03-2024, 18:57   #21

Boat: Beneteau 36CC

Hello all,
Very necessary are cockpit cushions.
In my case I wouldn’t be cruising much without them , such a tremendous difference .
Standing watch and retiring without exhaustion is a matter of safety.
If they are correctly constructed then they will not block any points where access is required.
They should be well secured via snaps, especially by means of straps sewn on both ends to the bottoms, beneath horizontal cushions.
All cushions should provide secure footing regardless of the degree of heel.
Ease of removal for cleaning and as emergency flotation devices should be a prerequisite as well.
All weather design is important , constructed with good quality appropriate materials, with reasonable maintenance should be serviceable 10 years plus.
Fair winds ( not powerful quartering seas) and following seas to all.
Sailorichiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 07:05   #22

Boat: Cape Dory 31

We live all summer on a smallish (31 feet) oldish (40 years) monohull. We made nice, dry-fast cockpit cushions with covers which turned out to be more trouble than they were worth. The dry-fast did not always dry completely (i.e., wet bum). I never felt comfotable standing on them, they would occasionally blow around and were a pain to stow.

So we scrapped the cushions and found a great sale for six JimBouy life cushions in white coated closed cell foam (Defender). We have one of these that is 30 years old and still comfy and water tight. Easy to clean and we move the cushions around as we please for a higher helm seat, back rests, leg supports when lying down. They seem to stay put when standing on them and are easy to carry forward to sit on the fordeck. White, so they don't get too hot. I have a bad back and I can sit on them all day. Throwable Type IV for the rare rescue. Water proof and pretty much bullet proof. Love em. Pricey, about $50 - $60 US plus shipping, but they should easily outlast you.

Cheers. Spring launching is on the horizon.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 07:13   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

I find they take up too much space to store them.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 07:20   #24

I have the fancy cockpit cushions too and don’t use them.
Instead I use the throwable type life saving cushion if someone wants one to sit on.
Dual purpose.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 08:47   #25

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Definitely use cushions to save our butts...have a few west marine low back seats that fold or lay flat or adjust anywhere in between. Helps to cushion the fiberglass on the buttski and provide low back support when in the cockpit for hours/hours. If weather not too boisterous we lay them flat on top of our dodger or throw below. I have a small cockpit so at times a PITA if noone is using them & they are in the cockpit as they slide about usually ending up on the cockpit floor and in the way when heeling. Have throwable cushions too that are more convenient but less low back support. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 11:05   #26

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
We had a full set of fitted cockpit cushions. I got rid of them. There are just too many times when one has to stand for some task or another in the cockpit. I felt very unsteady when standing on the cushions, because any motion of the boat just made the footing less stable.

Same experience, the boat came with them and I kept one set in case I wanted to sleep in the cockpit but they've now gone having been a nuisance to store. There were a number of small individual cushions which I have kept which live on deck under the dodger which I find much more practicable than full cushions.
Old 11-03-2024, 11:58   #27

Boat: Catalina 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
We got rid of ours in our fourth year of full-time cruising. We have two sport-a-seats that we use instead, and if we have people over for sundowners we let them sit on those while we sit on the blue square throwables.

The cockpit looks bigger without them and is definitely cleaner.
This, for sure. My boat came with custom cockpit cushions, but I found that they slipped off the seats waaay too easily. I tried to hold them down with velcro, but that didn't work. The cushions have sat in the v-berth for a couple of years now, and I don't see them coming out. I'll probably bring them home and stick them in the basement. Like Cthoops, we have two sport-a-seats (about the only things I've bought for the boat that the Admiral truly likes) that come out once we are underway. The rest of us sit on the square throwables. New throwables are on the list for this coming season as the current ones are over 20 years old.
hukilaumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 07:36   #28

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have cushions I don't use and I have the throwable ones, but the ones I like lately are the inflatable seats from the kayak! They are way more comfortable and they definitely dry quickly! Not exactly appealing cosmetically, I'll concede that.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 08:13   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We use our cockpit daily. My skinny butt does not do well on hard surfaces.
They have been out in the weather for nine years now and still look (feel) pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	241820363_1739814689739385_6481586214531971028_n.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	287533  

Tags
cockpit, cushions