Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2024, 14:04   #1

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Tattoos for Sailors - Good or bad?

Just wondering how many here with tattoos decided on a traditional sailors tattoo. I’ve included a picture of a traditional explanation of what tattoos go where. Obviously there are other directives for the military and merchant navy. But for those just roaming the world very slowly, what are you thoughts. And perhaps share a picture of your art.

Am pondering having a Viking compass rose with a couple of swallows etched on to my own arm. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailor Tattoos.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	285819   Click image for larger version

Name:	nordic1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	285820  

Old 30-01-2024, 14:17   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Tattoos for Sailors - Good or bad?

I am "eligible" for a lot of them and was planning something. Then I talked to a friend in the Navy and he told me about all the hazing that goes on along with the tattoos. Stuff that should be grounds for a court marshal, but is really just part of the culture. (And also illegal in 44 states)

I can't say that is the reason I never got them, mostly it was laziness but I'm much less excited. I really don't want people to see my tattoos and think I am/was a part of that nonsense.

I do have a more traditional Polynesian tattoo with a sailing theme, done in Am. Samoa by an award winning artist there.
Old 31-01-2024, 00:30   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

Grantmc as long as the tatt has a meaning for you then who cares what ink you have on your body. Just try and steer clear of any art that makes you look like a tosser. I once was at a party and there was a guy with a neck tattoo saying something like "live life to the max" I was busting to meet him and when I finally did I realised going to the supermarket must be a big adventure when you live in your parents basement.
I got my tatts 25 years ago, no real meaning just some cool illustrations from a sailing book I was reading at the time.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240131_181653~2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	285852  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 04:53   #4

Personally I find Tattoos look like dirt on people at not too far a distance from them. IMO it's a fad that has lost all meaning with all the mass tatooing in todays society. Like those who wear a ring hanging from their ears but, who never have traveled past the Capes. It's more of just following the crowd these days rather than showing a nautical accomplishment.
Old 31-01-2024, 06:03   #5

Boat: Colin Archer

Each to their own. Got to agree with Mike above - tatoos completely have lost symbolics these modern days and have become just showoff items. Especially with the ever growing aim to intentionally place them on very exposed places for everyone to see. Hence there's nothing truly personal about them anymore. Which paradoxically in many ways reflects one's problematic ego or attention seeking side.

On the flipside there's so many tatoos around on masses that in fact it's now becoming more original not to have a single dot on the pure skin to stay true to your original self, hence live your personal life to your fullest without all the external noise of modern life

All in YMMV and IMHO of course.
Briis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 06:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Tats have become a " thing" these days. Almost hard to find anyone that doesn't have a tat.

If you chose to have a tat, keep in mind, the person doing it. Some are good artists and others are terrible, but regardless, the end result will be permanent and you will have to live with it, so select the tat artist with care.

Tats also generally fade over time, so consideration to the chosen theme or design is important to avoid it looking like a big blob of nothing over time.

There are countless online places where you can view tat designs. Take your time and pick something appropriate as to size and color, etc.

Lastly where you have the tat done on your body should take priority. Remember that it will be there for all time.
Tats can be removed, off course, at great expense and time, so think twice about location.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 06:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tattoos for Sailors - Good or bad?

Like Graffiti = Good..
Hate Graffiti = Bad..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 08:28   #8
Marine Service Provider

For most people...a decision to get a tat (or two) invariable involves a libation or two...or three...or four....I speak from experience here

Beside my love for sailing, there was time when I was biker dude for a short period of time, where having a tat or two...or three...is almost mandatory.....
Old 31-01-2024, 10:03   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briis View Post
Each to their own. Got to agree with Mike above - tatoos completely have lost symbolics these modern days and have become just showoff items. Especially with the ever growing aim to intentionally place them on very exposed places for everyone to see. Hence there's nothing truly personal about them anymore. Which paradoxically in many ways reflects one's problematic ego or attention seeking side.

On the flipside there's so many tatoos around on masses that in fact it's now becoming more original not to have a single dot on the pure skin to stay true to your original self, hence live your personal life to your fullest without all the external noise of modern life

All in YMMV and IMHO of course.
It really depends on the person, and I think it is pretty easy to tell them apart. Many people in their 20's will go to a tattoo parlor and pick something out of a book. That doesn't really have any meaning. I still hesitate to call it a fad, because fads end, and that practice has been going on for decades, and is growing.

Others will discuss what they want with an artist, why, and review examples of different work. The difference really shows on the finished work, and I don't think the later could be confused with being a fad or not having meaning.

I have one tattoo, with work from two artists. Originally I discussed my idea (some family symbolism) with 2 artists, who both drew up artwork (and I paid them for there time) and I rejected it. Then I was introduced to another artist that was likely better for the work I wanted. We spent a good hour together with her making multiple sketches, getting my opinions on each. Then she took a few weeks to work on it and draw the final tattoo before getting my final approval. The actual work took two sessions of a couple hours each.
Then, a few years later after I crossed the Pacific, a Polynesian artist added some Polynesian symbols for sailing to it. I originally wanted a second tattoo, but the artist loved my first tattoo so much and wanted to have a chance to work on it. I was skeptical, but he added his work in such a beautiful way it looks like it could all be the same artist done at the same time. He actually did something different from what we discussed, all freehand making it up has he went. But that is sort of how Polynesian Tattoos are done and he was very talented at it.
Old 31-01-2024, 10:37   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tattoos for Sailors - Good or bad?

When I was in the Royal Navya a friend of mine staggered back on board with Popeye sitting on the crapper on his chest.. another had eyes on his bum cheeks, his logic was to see what was happening behind him in the showers..
Moral.. Make your decision sober.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 10:47   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I had a girlfriend that was an RN in a rest home. Tattoos that looked cool when they were 20 look less impressive in old age.
One woman had a tattoo of a butterfly on her breast. Now it's an eagle.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 11:34   #12
Marine Service Provider

my tats still look like the day they were done many years ago....unless I take my shirt off, they never see the sun...
Old 31-01-2024, 12:53   #13

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Remember when Hula-hoops then later pet rocks were fads? When the fads died, the Hula-hoops and pet rocks were discarded. Tough to do that with ink.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 14:30   #14

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I did a search for "regrettable tattoos".
Hoo boy, there are some real gems.

Still without, and glad.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 15:04   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 44

Sailor tattoos = mark of a specific accomplishment. Okay, I can understand that.
Modern tattoos = permanent fashion statement by a so so artist. Can't wrap my brain around that one.

Years ago, I took my teenage kids to the Sturgis Biker rally where every third shop was a tattoo shop (The others were chrome, T-Shirts, or leather). I asked my kids to point out a good looking tattoo on anyone as we walked around. They could not. The vast majority were all faded and wrinkled or sagging. All of those unique, just like everyone else, eagles, skulls, roses, etc., looked tired and blah.
A la carte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail