Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2023, 05:34   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Weed Smokers on Your Boat

Another lightning rod of a topic. I don’t actually have an opinion on this other than maybe thinking they shouldn’t be on my boat.

Here’s the scene and the question.

I have a pretty good female friend that is really really attractive. She’s all excited to come down to hang out with me for a week on the boat. A little vacation.

But, she has all sorts of issues. Mental health issues. These don’t really come in to play with how we interact. They are kept under control by her smoking every day.

She’s one of those people that needs to smoke every day in order to function.

I don’t do any drugs. I don’t drink. I don’t smoke cigarettes. I don’t do anything. I don’t even take Advil. However, I do accept people for who they are and where they are and don’t really judge them based on what they need in their lives to get through the day.

The big question is, should I have this girl down to the boat for a week?

She’s extremely attractive. We get along fine. I’m not trying to get a girlfriend or marry this girl. Just trying to enjoy some time together.

What is the latest on weed and boats now?

It’s pretty much legal everywhere now. But there is still that odd federal gap.

Very confusing stuff. A lot of gray areas.

What do you guys think? Realistically?

She is really excited about coming. She’s daydreaming about it. She is really really looking forward to it. If I have her come without smoking her mental health issues will creep in and she will have a bad time and probably so will I.

If I tell her she can’t come because of the weed, it will crush her.

So I’m kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:44   #2

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Re: Weed Smokers on Your Boat

She is self medicating, and weed is probably less harmful than the prescription alternatives.
If you are not supplying her I wouldn't worry about the legality of it. You are not planning on leaving and coming into the country correct.
What does her attractiveness have to do with it?
Old 04-01-2023, 05:55   #3

There is NO ambiguity. From a straight legal perspective federal agencies enforcing federal law on the water don't care about local laws that are less stringent than the federal law they are enforcing. So, they CAN give you a whole lot of trouble even over a small amount including taking your vessel. That said, they likely would not hassle you over a small medicinal or recreational amount. Overall, it's a roll of the dice as to whether you are even boarded during the week you see her and then another roll as to being hassled. Legally = don't do it. Personally = your comfort with the risk.
JEB
Old 04-01-2023, 05:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
She is self medicating, and weed is probably less harmful than the prescription alternatives.
If you are not supplying her I wouldn't worry about the legality of it. You are not planning on leaving and coming into the country correct.
What does her attractiveness have to do with it?
That’s correct. Like many people I know in life, she is self-medicating. With weed. It’s very common in these days.

I’m definitely not giving her anything. Whatever she has she would be bringing on her own.

it would just be around in the United States. Not going to any other countries. Not even crossing any state lines. Internationally, , I definitely would not allow anything like that on the boat.

Attractiveness has to do with me telling the story. I am very excited for her to be coming down because she’s very attractive and we are going to have a lot of fun together. That’s a pretty good time. So that’s what has me weighing out the weed issue.

If it wasn’t for her level of attractiveness and all the fun that we will have together, I would definitely not allow anyone with weed on my boat ever. Ever. I am making a special exception for her I think. Maybe. Depending on the outcome of the thread.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:05   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

It will take you months to get the stench out of your boat.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:15   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

My primary concern would be around weed being federally illegal and potential USCG related issues. Within the US I wouldn't be too concerned, although I'd be careful about thorough cleaning before any trips out of the country.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:19   #7

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

You are in Florida where medical marijuana is legal.

Also one way bad laws get overturned is when the public ignores it. Make a stand by having fun with your very attractive friend.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:20   #8

And this is why I keep looking at this forum. Too funny.
So seriously? The question is " this HOT messed up drug addict wants to come hang out,it will be good for her and she will enjoy it, should I Let her?....by the way I would definitely say no if she was fugly"

I am seriously not woke,,,call it dead straight every time....but thats really a poor attitude. Your decision is based purely on her appearance....don't deny it...you stated it.

Wow....thisun gonna be funny!!!
Old 04-01-2023, 06:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Oh no!

There will be no smoking inside. The only place she can smoke will be on the swim steps. Downwind.

I prize the interior air quality in my boat. I have all sorts of breathing issues and stuff. So no way.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:26   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

The main area of concern is her stashing a bag of marijuana in some hidden location on the boat and forgetting it's there. If it is subsequently found when you're crossing a border you'll have a problem. Whether it's a "don't do that again" sort of problem or a Brittney Griner sort of a problem depends on which border you cross, and on luck.

Closely related, people who smoke tend to drop marijuana seeds since they aren't smokable and are usually present. They are distinctive and all customs agents know what they look like, and they will treat them the same way as finding a small amount of vegetative marijuana.

U.S. and Canada customs still treat it as a very big deal.

So, as a boat owner and skipper, there is always a risk if you allow it on board.

If you choose to allow it, my advice would be to insist that she roll up her smokes before coming aboard and bring only ready-to-smoke joints. If she complies (i.e. if you trust her) then that would minimize the likelihood of problems later.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:28   #11
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

Stench to you but a wonderful aroma to others.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
And this is why I keep looking at this forum. Too funny.
So seriously? The question is " this HOT messed up drug addict wants to come hang out,it will be good for her and she will enjoy it, should I Let her?....by the way I would definitely say no if she was fugly"

I am seriously not woke,,,call it dead straight every time....but thats really a poor attitude. Your decision is based purely on her appearance....don't deny it...you stated it.

Wow....thisun gonna be funny!!!
Yup. That’s what I said.

The only thing you don’t really follow is how things work in our modern world. Weed has replaced alcohol.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:30   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Weed Smokers on Your Boat

As others have said, recreational marijuana is illegal in Fl as well as the USA, so it would be breaking the law. I personally have zero problem with it and think it’s a stupid law, but the Feds can legally impound your vessel. A hard choice for sure!
BTW Chotu, you come up with some dandies, and you thought of quitting the forum? NAH!
Old 04-01-2023, 06:37   #14

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
You are in Florida where medical marijuana is legal.
:
Not really. It's still illegal under federal law, even if prescribed by a physician. It's not recognized as medicine by the FDA. The Feds have agreed to not enforce in legal states, only because they don't want to start another civil war. That's ok on land, but when you are on a boat underway you fall under federal jurisdiction. Not to say they would do anything in legal state waters, but they could.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yup. That’s what I said.

The only thing you don’t really follow is how things work in our modern world. Weed has replaced alcohol.
Oh man, what a missed opportunity.....all that work that you whinned about not getting done....you could have just had her go in talk to them....job done in a week.

I mean in your world why would they complete a job for some (dont want to get the sensors angry so I'll say) "old guy" .....bugger that....but some sexy chick...well thats another story.

You dont mention her ethnicity.....does that not enter into it?
Closed Thread

Tags
boat