Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2022, 13:12   #1

Proposed regulation limit boat speed to 10 knots on East Coast

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has proposed a 10-knot, speed-restriction rule for vessels 35 feet to 65 feet length overall across a broad swath of water along the East Coast [from Florida to Massachusetts] for seven months of the year and up to 100 miles out to sea in an effort to reduce right whale mortality from vessel strikes.

. . .

The changes would expand the current mandatory seasonal speed restrictions of 10 knots or less in designated areas of the ocean and extend to most vessels measuring 35 to 65 feet in length.

. . .

Vessels less than 65 feet in length account for five of the 12 documented lethal strike events in U.S. waters since the first speed rule went into effect in 2008, demonstrating the significant risk this vessel size class presents and the need to extend the speed restrictions to include smaller vessels.

. . .

The North Atlantic right whale is one of the world’s most endangered large whale species. The latest preliminary estimates suggest there are fewer than 350 remaining, with less than 100 reproductively active females. Vessel strikes, fishing gear entanglements, climate change and other threats all pose challenges to this imperiled species.

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/no...c-right-whales

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 13:17   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Proposed regulation limit boat speed to 10 knots on East Coast

I saw this quite a while ago. The more I looked into it, the more it didn’t seem as bad. Because there are done bunch of different regions and it is all phases to different times.

If you look at the time of year that the restrictions take place, it’s really not that bad for us.

It is, however, terrible for people on sport fishing boats who go out for the day or overnight to fish.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 13:20   #3

Additional reference to the current slow zone rules and maps of the designated areas for speed reduction which rules are proposed to be amended.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/natio...as---northeast

ENDANGERED SPECIES CONSERVATION
Reducing Vessel Strikes to North Atlantic Right Whales
North Atlantic right whale vessel speed restrictions reduce the likelihood of lethal collisions between vessels and these endangered whales.

Vessel Speed Restrictions

All vessels 65 feet (19.8 meters) or longer must travel at 10 knots or less in certain locations (called Seasonal Management Areas or SMAs) along the U.S. east coast at certain times of the year to reduce the threat of vessel collisions with endangered North Atlantic right whales. The purpose of this mandatory regulation is to reduce the likelihood of deaths and serious injuries to these endangered whales that result from collisions with vessels.Because vessels of all sizes can strike a whale, NOAA Fisheries also encourages vessels less than 65 feet in length to help protect right whales by slowing to 10 knots or less within active SMAs as well.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 13:48   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Canadian waters:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...ssb-no-09-2022
Old 15-12-2022, 19:31   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Getting our boat to go 10 knots is a rare occurence. We'll manage.
https://seeaspout.org/boating-course...medium=webpage
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 19:56   #6

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Getting our boat to go 10 knots is a rare occurence. We'll manage.
https://seeaspout.org/boating-course...medium=webpage

Likewise for us!

In the conditions required to get us over 10 knots, it’s extremely unlikely there will be any law enforcement around to see it.

Unless, of course, one of the millennials posts a video of it on social media
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 00:17   #7

I find this somewhat interesting , I am a person that doesn’t like laws and regulations as a general rule , I think 99% of them should be done away with the only law that should Exist are laws Protecting nature anything that harms are natural environment , Or harms someone else should be against the law everything else in my opinion shouldn’t be , I would like to be free to express myself anyway I choose to be free like the whales are in the ocean be free as the birds are in the sky , if I want to have 10 wife’s and I’m not harming anybody I should be able to , If i want to do heroin I should be able to , I should be as free as the whales are Our government trying to protect ,No I’m not a tree hugging hippie
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 00:50   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It’s funny. These whales don’t seem endangered even though they are. When I see a whale, it’s almost always a right whale. I guess it’s because of where I sail.

In the summer, you are guaranteed to see them off of Boston. Every single time.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 01:11   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I find it strange that they include sailboats. Another reason for turning off the AIS transponder in those areas so that a gust of wind won’t cost us dearly.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 01:11   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The Canadian rules applying to over 13m look better given the speed those Miami Vice speed boats can travel at.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2022, 07:49   #11

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

How are they gonna give the whales tickets? What if said whale hits my vessel? Do they even have insurance anyway? It’s un-nerving to be on watch, no moon, galloping along at about 9 kts, and thinking what would happen if we got T-boned by a whale. So now I am really happy to know under 10 kts and there would be far less damage to my vessel….and also nice that the whale will be ok.
I would love to know how the whale deaths were reported the forensics, what was the mechanism of injury. Ie: prop strike, hull strike, head, torso, tail? How they came to this size conclusion.
I try to average between 6-8 kts off shore during the day and a little less at night, if I’ve got to make a time I have no reservations about hoisting my code “Y” (Yanmar) it will get us to a nail biting 10-12 kts
Can your AIS speed be used in a court of law?
I respect the intent but it seems more of a virtue appeasement law than a tool of implementation. I would love a ticket if I did get my very capable Vessel to do double digits, but it’s gotta suck if the gas jockeys can’t plain out.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2022, 08:01   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Why should boaters care about whales & other sealife??

Because the non-boating general public have way more votes than the boaters.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-246591-4.html
Old 18-12-2022, 08:45   #13
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Can your AIS speed be used in a court of law?
There are usually at least 3 evidentiary issues at trial with some kind of data compilation: hearsay, authentication, and best evidence rule.

There are exceptions to the hearsay exclusion rule for that type of data: (1) records of a regularly conducted activity, allowed in with testimony of the custodian of records or a sufficient certification; (2) public records and reports that an office or agency keeps within the scope of its duties.

Some records can be self-authenticating - accepted as genuine without testimony, for instance, certified judicial records, domestic public records offered in compliance with a statute, foreign public documents with an attestation, and certified business records, among others.

Obviously, the best evidence would be contemporaneous observation by law enforcement, but a reliable record or data compilation would probably suffice.

So, the question is whether someone is keeping official or business records of AIS transmissions.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2022, 09:04   #14

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
Obviously, the best evidence would be contemporaneous observation by law enforcement, but a reliable record or data compilation would probably suffice.
That's strangely ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
So, the question is whether someone is keeping official or business records of AIS transmissions.
Take your credit card and talk to the folks at MarineTraffic or VesselFinder. I'd be very surprised if they haven't been approached by someone's lawyers many times before, and found it in their interest to make sure their records were well-maintained.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2022, 09:08   #15
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
I am a person that doesn’t like laws and regulations as a general rule , I think 99% of them should be done away with the only law that should Exist are laws ...anything that harms.. someone else should be against the law everything else in my opinion shouldn’t be , ie...if I want to have 10 wife's
Some others just like you would like to do away with all crimes in which there is no identifiable victim.

With 10 wives, I am fairly certain you would qualify as an identifiable victim...
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, east coast, knot