Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2018, 17:06   #31

Re: Question about COLREGS rule 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

From Post #5: "There was nothing preventing the other boat from keeping from the correct side of the channel. They were on a broad reach. As I said, they eventually altered course to avoid collision."
I missed the broad reach part, so thanks. Stiil i don't have a clear picture of the situation, or if there was a possible reason why the offending sailboat did what it did.

Quote:
Quote:
And I've had more than my share of larger boats running us down, both sail and power, who won't yield when we have right-of-way
Oh dear, that phrase again

There is no such thing as "yield" or "right of way" or any other right under COLREGs ( just one specific "right of way" situation under the US Inland Rules)

The sound of a hair splitting. C'mon, I think you know what I was saying - that colregs and convention would suggest that those boats should not have impeded me if they had the room to keep clear. As you might guess, i did the necessary to ensure that there was no collision, regardless of who the burdened vessel was. I didn't even flip the bird.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 18:23   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Many people confuse “Stand on”with “right of way”.

I would rather be Give Way in most crossing. I can go wherever I want EXCEPT to impede the other vessel. The STAND ON is obligated to “stand on” by holding heading and speed- as best as possible (don’t luff or suddenly trim for speed). If the other vessel in your situation was changing headings, he was not standing on.

Like others said, also a good time to use the VHF or give a 1 or 2 whistle signal. He probably wouldn’t have answered, but at least I try.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 19:25   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
He probably wouldn’t have answered, but at least I try.
Overheard in the cockpit of the sailing vessel:"Keerist... those AH motoring guys are not only not getting out of my way, now they are bloody HONKING at me!"

Jim
Old 31-07-2018, 21:25   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The sound of a hair splitting. C'mon, I think you know what I was saying - that colregs and convention would suggest that those boats should not have impeded me if they had the room to keep clear. As you might guess, i did the necessary to ensure that there was no collision, regardless of who the burdened vessel was. I didn't even flip the bird.

Sorry, but it's not hair splitting. Every time someone quotes "right of way" (and "privilege" for that matter) in one of these posts it reinforces a very dangerous misconception held by many less experienced sailors that one vessel has a "right" to do as he chooses including sailing across a narrow channel in front of another vessel because he is under sail and it is up to everyone else to keep out of his way regardless.

I have no doubt that the skipper of the sailing vessel under discussion had this misconception.

I will continue to correct this bad terminology every time it comes up here.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 21:56   #35

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Sorry, but it's not hair splitting. Every time someone quotes "right of way" (and "privilege" for that matter) in one of these posts it reinforces a very dangerous misconception held by many less experienced sailors that one vessel has a "right" to do as he chooses including sailing across a narrow channel in front of another vessel because he is under sail and it is up to everyone else to keep out of his way regardless.

I have no doubt that the skipper of the sailing vessel under discussion had this misconception.

Another way to understand the consept is "Stand on" being passive and give way "active" role in the dance.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 23:48   #36

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Please continue to do so, Stu
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 23:58   #37

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Please continue to do so, Stu
+1
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 00:45   #38

Boat: Nauticat 32

One problem that I'd like to point out is the difference between racing and colregs based regular traffic. In racing it is typical that you go as close to the other boats as you dare, in the hope that you could force them to yield under the racing rules. Under colregs this kind of game of chicken, fighting for your "rights", and trying to be the first at some spot, is totally unacceptable. Sometimes the masculine hormones and competitive attitude may play a trick on you.

Under colregs one should make decisions and moves early, avoid boats getting too close to each other, and avoid situations where it is not clear how things will evolve. Any increased risk of collision should be avoided. It is too common that people fight for their "rights" just because they feel that the other guy must be wrong. The correct way is not to be right but to avoid collisions. Often it makes sense to change course before you even become the stand-on vessel (and are supposed to maintain your course).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:03   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Often it makes sense to change course before you even become the stand-on vessel (and are supposed to maintain your course).
Very true. COLREGs is basically about when "risk of collision exists".

A prudent sailor will try to take action before that arises.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:03   #40

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Another way to understand the consept is "Stand on" being passive and give way "active" role in the dance.
Colregs might be easier to learn and teach if they would use those words (passive and active role). That could mean less confusion with the "right of way" thinking and more focus on the idea of eliminating the risk of collisions.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:56   #41

The basic rule in COLREGS to follow is stated in Rule 18 para(a)- The power driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of NUC vsls, sailing vessels etc. So you can have pass him port to port OR stbd to stbd. But it is your duty to keep clear of a sailing vessel.

The sailing vessel proceeding on the wrong side of the channel is a mistake, but it is a minor mistake. Meaning if there was a collision, you in the power driven vessel will take most of the blame.
hiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:27   #42
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiebert View Post
The basic rule in COLREGS to follow is stated in Rule 18 para(a)- The power driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of NUC vsls, sailing vessels etc. So you can have pass him port to port OR stbd to stbd. But it is your duty to keep clear of a sailing vessel.

Rubbish, NUC means Not Under Command; it has nothing to do with a sailing vessel underway.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:07   #43

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiebert View Post

The sailing vessel proceeding on the wrong side of the channel is a mistake, but it is a minor mistake. Meaning if there was a collision, you in the power driven vessel will take most of the blame.
Wrong. The very first words in Rule 18 are “Except when rule 9”. Narrow channel changes everything.
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:50   #44

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

You did the correct thing ! Its a channel not open water. Give them the horn. !!! Until they back away ! Let them scream !!!
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:22   #45

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
You did the correct thing ! Its a channel not open water. Give them the horn. !!! Until they back away ! Let them scream !!!
Forcing the issue puts you in the wrong. If there was a collision and you saw it coming but did not take any action to avoid it you are wrong.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule