Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 01:01   #361
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
Getting back to the OP....

He's in Opua trying to clear out ?...you go to the blue building where NZ Customs are.
The CUSTOMS officer clears you out.....in my experience there are no immigration officers there. Customs stamps your passport, they don't come and look at your boat let alone inspect the chainplate bolts ! If you're an NZ registered boat they want to see your YNZ Cat 1 clearance and then you go...if you are not an NZ Boat, you just go.

I think this is all a phurphy
Due to having come to the notice of the authorities before (albeit not really his fault) OP was probably on a list - being from the USA he will likely be very comfortable with that concept.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12   #362

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Well....I don't quite know what the response is to that .... we're probably all on a lits somewhere !

Funny that we haven't heard from the OP for quite a while !
Old 02-07-2013, 01:17   #363

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
Getting back to the OP....

He's in Opua trying to clear out ?...you go to the blue building where NZ Customs are.
The CUSTOMS officer clears you out.....in my experience there are no immigration officers there. Customs stamps your passport, they don't come and look at your boat let alone inspect the chainplate bolts ! If you're an NZ registered boat they want to see your YNZ Cat 1 clearance and then you go...if you are not an NZ Boat, you just go.

I think this is all a phurphy
The inconsistency and subjective nature of these regulations (I am not singling out NZ, this happens all over the world) is one of he reasons cruising sailors find the sort of laws frustrating and of limited value in advancing safety.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:40   #364
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
How about some evidence that the enforcement is inconsistent and subjective??
Old 02-07-2013, 02:36   #365

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Is it all possible that this is just a wind up?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55   #366

Boat: Sabre 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies
How about some evidence that the enforcement is inconsistent and subjective??
Have you read the thread? Or at least the title?
Immigration does not handle boat inspections.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:09   #367
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

David- You're on the list too don't worry.

You got room on your couch for Ed at your place or what? I hear he's having a problem logging into couchsurfer from the Moscow airport.
Old 02-07-2013, 13:16   #368

Boat: Trismus 37

25 pages!!! Wow!!! all based on 1 supposed conversation, popcorn sales must be going through the roof!!
Old 02-07-2013, 13:24   #369

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Well of course they are ridiculous, which is the point. What I am exploring is whether there is any circumstance where some here would feel an obligation to step in and prevent someone from hurting themselves, even when the consequences may be hurt to someone else. And the answer appears to be no on the basis that no one has an obligation to prevent harm to another if that other wishes to inflict it on himself and if they need to be rescued, the SAR teams get paid for it anyway. So to some, the chain smoking inner city dynamite delivery man has every right to deliver his dynamite next to the elementary school and any attempts at regulation are merely another nail in the nanny state coffin. Cool. Also apparently insane, but who am I to judge especially given that there are no objective moral values (except apparently and ironically the objective reality that all morals are subjective ).

Back to the real world, and regarding this particular case, as noted, the Kiwis can set whatever rules they want, since after all, it is their country. Since this fellow is the autonomous free agent solely responsible for himself that many of you belief he is, perhaps he should have exercised that agency by investigating those laws before landing on NZ shores. After all, its a big world with lots of places to go where they don't take SAR as seriously. Perhaps Yemen?

And in this particular case, a marine engineer familiar with the actual vessel thinks it unfit for anything other than coastal cruising. I certainly agree that this chap should be able to sail away whenever he wishes if the only person's life that is put at risk is his own. However since NZ SAR will have to come to his aid if needed and put their lives at risk it doesn't seem unreasonable that they should have a say in the matter.

But I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Yep, I agree to disagree absolutely. Don't try and put a diaper/nappy on me or tell me if I am allowed to jeopardise my own safety or not etc etc. Those that choose to put themselves at risk to help others do it because they enjoy it, not because they are forced to. I was one of those for quite some time, only age tempers my ability to be so adventurous and capable of helping others in need.

Time to stop this rubbish that armchair PC correctness tries to force down our throats.
Old 02-07-2013, 14:19   #370
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post

Have you read the thread? Or at least the title?
Immigration does not handle boat inspections.
Yep, paranoid ranting and certainly.only one side of the story. Anybody that believes his nonsense unconditionally needs help
Old 02-07-2013, 17:10   #371

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Yep, I agree to disagree absolutely. Don't try and put a diaper/nappy on me or tell me if I am allowed to jeopardise my own safety or not etc etc. Those that choose to put themselves at risk to help others do it because they enjoy it, not because they are forced to. I was one of those for quite some time, only age tempers my ability to be so adventurous and capable of helping others in need.

Time to stop this rubbish that armchair PC correctness tries to force down our throats.
Right on! You've convinced me!! And to heck with those SAR guys!!! Who's paying them anyway, and besides, they like risking their lives!!!! Just like firefighters...

Arizona Firefighters Doomed by Sudden Turn in Flames - WSJ.com

Speaking just for myself, I will be the last one trying to prevent you from jeopardizing your own safety. I might even buy a ticket to watch....
Old 02-07-2013, 19:45   #372

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Right on! You've convinced me!! And to heck with those SAR guys!!! Who's paying them anyway, and besides, they like risking their lives!!!! Just like firefighters...

Arizona Firefighters Doomed by Sudden Turn in Flames - WSJ.com

Speaking just for myself, I will be the last one trying to prevent you from jeopardizing your own safety. I might even buy a ticket to watch....
Such a tragedy with those firefighters and my heart goes out to their families and friends. They died a noble death (if there is such a thing) and although it doesn't change much emotionally for them, I know their families can be proud that they died doing what they wanted to do and enjoyed doing. I am always grateful to these sort of people, who get stuck in and help their fellowmen without hesitation. That is true of so many different professions and services (Nurses, Doctors, firemen, policemen, Coast Guard and so many others too numerous to mention).

Oh, and thanks for letting me live lol. Hope you enjoy the show and aren't too disappointed watching me take calculated risks (unlike childhood ones, which were by and large reckless ... boy isn't hindsight great). Oh, and hopefully the powers that be will provide onlookers with sufficient diapers/nappies, wet-wipes etc and even wipe a few butts just in case of disease or some other nasty thing.

May we all go out from this life having lived life to the full.
Old 02-07-2013, 20:59   #373

Boat: Sabre 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies

Yep, paranoid ranting and certainly.only one side of the story. Anybody that believes his nonsense unconditionally needs help
Are you saying the op lied about it being immigration, or that he wasn't allowed to leave.
If I cited an example of subjective enforcement where a girlfriend has received 13 warning tickets for speeding in the last two years whereas I've never been "warned " once just got the ticket. Would you say I was lying or she was, or perhaps the truth?
In short would you accept any account, but your own?
Old 02-07-2013, 21:53   #374
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post

Are you saying the op lied about it being immigration, or that he wasn't allowed to leave.
If I cited an example of subjective enforcement where a girlfriend has received 13 warning tickets for speeding in the last two years whereas I've never been "warned " once just got the ticket. Would you say I was lying or she was, or perhaps the truth?
In short would you accept any account, but your own?
I said it was paranoid ranting, not lies. Immigration has no mandate to detain junkheaps but Customs can detain a junkheap on behalf of MNZ who use a very standard and professional set of criteria determining seaworthiness. If the OP beieves he being detained by immigration he needs to change his meds or lay off the meth.
Old 02-07-2013, 22:44   #375

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh NoTies, I know you have a lot of feeling about this subject, and in most instances you have supplyed good information on the rules over there ! But ya are getting a little off beat when ya accuse someone you don't know personaly of being a drug user, ya sorta toss away any real ideas ya have !! Ya had my attention till ya started a trip like that !! There are places in the world where ya just might find yourself in court if ya make statements like you did, with no real knowage of this person. Thats a little low fella !! just my 2 cents