Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2014, 22:38   #46

Re: New Visa laws for Schengan Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Hoppy-

That is a surprise. I spent the winter of 98-99 in Göteborg and knew a Swede who arranged to move out just before the year was up just so as to not fall into that trap. (He had been buying-fixing up-selling distressed property, and sold the house out from under for business purposes.) I wonder if it is different if one person is not a citizen, or perhaps you had an amicable agreement rather than going to court?
It was amicable and I guess she was realistic. She came out of the relationship in a better position than if she had been dating a fellow dirt poor student in that time, but whist we were together she got to do 3 "once in a lifetime" trips to Australia. a few 5 star hotels and no financial worries other than having to decide which shoes to buy with her money.

Swedish women do tend to be focused on being financially independant.

Maybe I was just lucky
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 22:58   #47

When cruising within Greece with Aussie family members, not once when visiting the port police with a crew list have they ever asked to see the passports of the Australians or my id. Maybe because my boat is Swedish they don't care to check?

I can only ever remember been asked to show my passport within the Schengen area just a couple of times in 14 years for reasons other than showing that I was the person named on the plane ticket.

Once was in Denmark were they were looking for Danish residents with foreign plated vehicles (Massive tax on cards and bikes). At the time I was still on my Aussie passport and had to explain I lived in Sweden. I don't remember if they checked for my visa.

On a couple of occasions when flying into Germany from Greece, several police were checking id's of people leaving the plane. They were probably looking for illegals and whilst I doubt they were looking for Schengen visa overstayers, maybe they would pick you up.

It's a good thing that they are looking at a longer visa. I just hope they implement it in a way that will work well for financially independant people who want to stay much longer than 3 months
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:52   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
The tax department doesn't get insight in my bank records
But the bank manager do and keen to report any suspicion that he or she may have to the police. For a person that lives in a country with a “contrôle des habitants “ system where citizens have 14 days to report a change of address and “lieux d’hébergements” that report daily to the police you are pretty naïve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
[SIZE="6"] The new EU Schengan Touring Visa
Quote.
proof that they have sickness insurance for all risks normally covered for nationals of the Member States to be visited.
Unquote.

This may be where the difficulty lies. The cost of such insurance can be so high that it precludes some EU expatriate from returning to their home country.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:24   #49
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
But the bank manager do and keen to report any suspicion that he or she may have to the police. For a person that lives in a country with a “contrôle des habitants “ system where citizens have 14 days to report a change of address and “lieux d’hébergements” that report daily to the police you are pretty naïve.

Quote.

proof that they have sickness insurance for all risks normally covered for nationals of the Member States to be visited.

Unquote.

This may be where the difficulty lies. The cost of such insurance can be so high that it precludes some EU expatriate from returning to their home country.

Huh cheap enough to get. Couple of hundred euros once you don't need to cover the US
Old 10-01-2015, 12:17   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Huh cheap enough to get. Couple of hundred euros once you don't need to cover the US
At least per month per person.
Old 10-01-2015, 13:02   #51
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

My health cover to satisfy the French for a visa cost 500€ per annum. World nomads
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 16:49   #52
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
My health cover to satisfy the French for a visa cost 500€ per annum. World nomads

That's about right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2015, 08:01   #53

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
You know, you shouldn't tell someone who actually lives here how things are supposed to be according to you...

a) That you have to mention to wherever your residence is registered that you have changed addresses is something that, afaik, every advanced country does. Switzerland is not different there.
b) If my bank manager as much as gives a peep to the Tax Deparment he will lose his job and never work in the industry again. The Swiss Privacy laws are quite strict. And currently even the basis of the business I am building up.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:28   #54

A lot of foreigner lives in Switzerland and some of them are very naïve and if their business depends on being in Switzerland then they better respect Swiss laws and Swiss citizens.
Old 11-01-2015, 18:32   #55
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
You know, you shouldn't tell someone who actually lives here how things are supposed to be according to you...

a) That you have to mention to wherever your residence is registered that you have changed addresses is something that, afaik, every advanced country does. Switzerland is not different there.

b) If my bank manager as much as gives a peep to the Tax Deparment he will lose his job and never work in the industry again. The Swiss Privacy laws are quite strict. And currently even the basis of the business I am building up.

I glad I've lived in two not so advanced countries ( UK and Ireland ) where you are under no obligation to report your change of address in any circumstances. ( unless of course you'd like to get some mail ! )

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 05:32   #56

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

So in the UK all you have to do to avoid paying taxes is move?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:42   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Visa laws for Schengan Europe

Quote:

Now your being silly...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:02   #58
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Damm - rumbled.

I beleive a state should do nothing to make you discoverable and I'm glad currently I live in one (both ) that don't. In fact Ireland still doesn't have postal codes. No body really knows where anyone is. ( mind u everyone knows everyone !! )

And yes you could move around to avoid being detected. That's what the police force are there for. Track your ass down , at least we can make it a little difficult !!!!
Old 25-09-2017, 19:23   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Not sure if you meant this seriously or not. It is virtually impossible to know the rules of many of the countries that we check into. There are the rules as defined by the capital. There are the rules practiced in some port district. There are the rules practiced by some official. There are the Monday to Friday rules and the weekend rules. Even in countries with advanced legal infrastructures, like the US, the rules can be dependent on which part of the country you are in and who you are dealing with.
Oh, you must be referring to the BVI. Nice folks but we pay differently every time and never what the folks ahead or behind pay.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 19:41   #60

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Oh, you must be referring to the BVI. Nice folks but we pay differently every time and never what the folks ahead or behind pay.
+1
It ia always a mistery what will they charge you in the BVI!
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope