Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 16:08   #16

Re: Leaving berth - one prolonged blast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Didn't say that know the rules, or would follow them if they did. But the Rules do apply.
I've had no problems leaving in daylight, and at night I wait untill I'm about to leave the entrance into the exit way. this means that your facing away from the marina in most cases, and your applying the rule in such a way that your warning others who are nearing the entrance with the intent of entering or just passing that a vessel is in the area.
lord at sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 17:04   #17

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
FYI:

https://worldpaddleassociation.com/p...ed-as-vessels/

December 30, 2010

PFD Laws – SUP or Paddleboards Now Classified as Vessels
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has officially classified stand up paddleboards (SUP) as a vessel. With the rapid growth of SUP in recent years on the West and East coast of the United States, the Coast Guard recently classified “paddleboards”, meaning SUP’s as “vessels.” SUP, the newly classified vessels must comply with federal Navigation Rules and “carriage” requirements when operated beyond the limits of a swimming, surfing or bathing area. Adult stand-up paddlers are required to have a USCG-approved life jacket also known as Personal Floatation Device (PFD, Type III) for each person, a sound signaling device (whistle), visual distress signal and navigation light (flashlight).

With this said there are many details with the new PFD law that most cities and harbors are now enforcing. All persons 12 years old and under are required to wear a USCG-approved life jacket or PFD however all operators over 12 years of age are only required to have a Type III adult USCG-approved life jacket or PFD either attached to the vessel or on the operators person. As stated in the first paragraph, SUP operators are not required to wear or have a PFD if you are in the surf line. So, SUP surfers are not required to wear a PFD. The WPA will be inquiring for an exception with the new PFD law with the USCG. The letter will state “if the stand up paddleboard operator is tethered (wearing a leash) to their board or vessel, can this be deemed as an alternate or replacement for having a PFD.” Most would feel that a stock (12’6”) or larger SUP board would be a better floatation device as long as the operator were attached to the vessel. How much easier would it be to administer CPR or first aid to a victim or person in need on a SUP board rather than in the water?

The same requirements apply to kayaks and other manually propelled vessels of similar size. Stand-up paddleboards are exempt from hull identification number and registration requirements. Please know that motor and large sail vessels have the right of way over paddleboards, kayaks and SUP crafts. It is your responsibility to know the rules of the water, so be safe considerate of other large vessels. The Harbor Patrol will continue to educate and enforce the new law with all stand-up paddlers.
Safety RULES!
No Pun intended

Thank you for you insight and research.
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 03:40   #18

When I read the subject line, my mind went somewhere else - getting out a bunk ("berth") first thing in the morning with a prolonged blast. Didn't know there was a rule - can't wait to tell my wife!
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 05:35   #19

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I let go a blast when departing for two reasons.
1) tradition and process
2) collision avoidance

My dock lies perpendicular to and sits directly at the marked edge of the fairway. My pulpit is all but in said fairway when tied up. The fairway channel dog-legs back on both approaches about 100-some feet to either side's blind corner.

Giggle and point all you want. "Oooh, ain't he salty?? ; but the sport boats and even some of the heavies can cover that distance right quick.
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 05:40   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
When I read the subject line, my mind went somewhere else - getting out a bunk ("berth") first thing in the morning with a prolonged blast. Didn't know there was a rule - can't wait to tell my wife!
Ahh, but if you're backing out of your bunk, you must issue three short blasts and one prolonged...

Seriously, it's sort of disappointing how much misinformation, and lack of information, there is about the rules, even here on this forum. I know, spend any time on the water and you shouldn't be surprised. But still...wow!

Special shout-out to capt jgw and Montanan, and everyone else who took the time to help educate us all. I was chomping at the bit to dispute some of the notions posted here, but you beat me to it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 09:40   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Even if a paddle board is a vessel, it is not a power driven vessel as defined by the Rules. Just sayin.

A sailboat with engine running is a power driven vessel even if it has 63 sails up and drawing. Technically a sailboat motoring out of a berth must sound the same sound signals as any other power driven vessel is required to sound. This is seldom done. I am not such a stickler as to insist that someone leaving at 3 in the morning wake me up with his whistle to make sure that I know he is getting underway. Sort of like yeah, with certain precautions, I take "power naps" in the cockpit when single handing a distance longer than I can stay awake and alert for. Just remember that if there is a mishap and it can be partly blamed on your not following the Rules precisely, then you WILL be partly blamed in court. Or even MOSTLY blamed, or in rare instances, TOTALLY at fault. So use good judgement. On a busy Sunday with "Hey, let's go sailing" weather or a big race day, blow your whistle in accordance with the rules. When no other vessels are underway in the area, late at night with good visibility and your liveaboard neighbors sleeping peacefully, maybe your judgement tells you it is okay to not make sound signals for maneuvering. Just remember that it is on you, if that judgement call went contrary to the rules and it caused an issue.

Having said that, I will cheerfully admit to not always blowing my whistle when getting underway. If I think I ought to, I do. If I think it is a bad idea, I don't. As a benefit of using proper sound signals when I use them, I often have guys ask me why I toot my horn when leaving and especially backing out. Gives me a good opportunity to gently and tactfully tell someone else how important it is to LEARN THE RULES OF THE ROAD.
Old 15-12-2019, 09:56   #22

Boat: Outremer 50S

Even a SUP can be a power-driven vessel:

Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 11:28   #23

From the U.S. Coast Guard's Frequently Asked Questions regarding vessel under oars [canoes, SUPs, kayaks, row boats, sculls, etc.]

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesFAQ

13. Where do Kayaks and Canoes fit into the Navigation Rules? Kayaks and Canoes are a vessel under oars and are addressed specifically in Rule 25 (lights).

Although a vessel under oars may be lit as a sailing vessel, one should not infer that they are considered to be a sailing vessel for other Rules (i.e. Rule 9, 10, 12, 18 or 35). Ultimately, the issue of whether a vessel under oars is the give way or stand-on vessel would fall to what would be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case (Rule 2, copied below), and, the notion that they are less able than most other vessels.

Per Rule 25(d) they must be lit with 1 of 3 options between sunset and sunrise:

display the lights of a sailing vessel (per Rule 25 and Annex I); or
display an all-round white light (visible for at least 2 miles [per Rule 22] and meet the technical characteristics [i.e. color, intensity] per Annex I); or
have at hand either an electric torch (flashlight) or lighted lantern (oil or gas) which need not comply with Rule 22 or Annex I.
Preferably, option #3 provides similar lighting, intensity and characteristics of an all-around white light (versus a single beam of light);
may be mounted, worn, stowed, etc so long as it is ready at hand to warn other mariners; and,
should be used in ample time so as to warn others of danger and in manner consistent with Rule 36, so that it not embarrass any vessel (i.e. so as not to blind or otherwise negatively impact their navigation). See FAQ#14 (below) for a discussion regarding high intensity and flashing lights.

RULE 2

Responsibility
(a) Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner,
master or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply
with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be required
by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the
case.
(b) In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had
to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances,
including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a
departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 11:45   #24

A prolonged blast of a horn or whistle when leaving a berth within a typical marina where lines of sight of the fairway is not inhibited be like:

As a general rule of safety and courtesy, one should not get underway from your moored status in a berth when there is nearby traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horn.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	205117  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 13:42   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
A sailboat with engine running is a power driven vessel even if it has 63 sails up and drawing.
Not necessarily. Only when "propelling machinery" is being used. If you are running an engine in neutral ( to provide house power and charge batteries for instance), you're not a power driven vessel.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote