Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2019, 15:35   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Leaving berth - one prolonged blast?

I have some recollection that when leaving a berth you are to sound one prolonged blast. I believe it was in the International Rules. This is NOT the three short blasts when operating astern propulsion.

I cannot find anywhere in the COLREGs that this is addressed. Am I mis-remembering? Thanks!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 15:45   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Leaving berth - one prolonged blast?

Nope, as far my memory goes, you got it right, one long blast for departing. If you are backing out, one long blast and 3 short. That’s u.s. waters as far as I know, not sure if it’s in COLREGS, gotta check. I usually only hear bigger yachts and commercial vessels do that ‘round here, but even the ferry doesn’t always do it strangely enough.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 15:50   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

That's in the US inland rules, Rule 34g

Quote:
(g) When a power-driven vessel is leaving a dock or berth, she shall sound
one prolonged blast.
There is no equivalent in the international rules. Rule 34e is identical in both rules:

Quote:
A vessel nearing a bend or an area of a channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction shall sound one
prolonged blast. Such signal shall be answered with a prolonged blast by
any approaching vessel that may be within hearing around the bend or
behind the intervening obstruction.
It could be argued, depending on your docking situation that you are obscured.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 22:10   #4

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Rule 34g, Inland rules. That’s what I needed. Thanks a lot!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 10:04   #5

Boat: J/42

I recall being taught that rule during a sailing class. And then told not to do it at that marina because it annoys the nearby condo owners. Nobody does it at my current (or previous) marina either. Not even the cruise ships that call there twice a week. Though since the place is like a three-ring circus in the summer, it might be a good idea.
Commercial shipping never sounds a horn on the Columbia, except for the danger signal when needed. They do call out on channel 13 when going around a bend - a “securite” call, but they don’t say “securite.”
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 10:16   #6

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I have some recollection that when leaving a berth you are to sound one prolonged blast. I believe it was in the International Rules. This is NOT the three short blasts when operating astern propulsion.

I cannot find anywhere in the COLREGs that this is addressed. Am I mis-remembering? Thanks!

Steve
Unless in a navigational waterway.
These are practiced as a courtesy.
Almost never happens.
Rule or not.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 10:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
That's in the US inland rules, Rule 34g

There is no equivalent in the international rules. Rule 34e is identical in both rules:

It could be argued, depending on your docking situation that you are obscured.
Also, these rules are governed by HP rating, for power driven vessels.
Not nessessarly governing all vessels.
SV Cloud Duster
Old 14-12-2019, 10:27   #8

Boat: Columbia 36

Inland Rules 34g. Remember "Power Driven Vessel" includes sailboats with the engine running. So, unless you're sailing out of the slip, you're supposed to sound one prolonged blast when leaving your berth. Pleasure boats hardly ever do it, but if you motored out of your slip and immediately got hit by another boat, you likely get half the blame if you didn't sound the horn first.
Actually probably more than half, it would be similar to backing out your driveway and getting hit by a car coming down the street.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 10:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
SV Cloud Duster
COLREGS and Inland Rules apply to all vessels equally, from super tankers down to stand up paddle boards. Horsepower and size have nothing to do with it.
Old 14-12-2019, 10:36   #10

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
SV Cloud Duster
There is not a single mention of HP anywhere in the COLREGS or the US Inland Rules. There are some differences related to vessel length, but none of those apply to the whistle signals described in Rule 34. The rule specifies that it applies to “power driven vessels” and these are defined in Rule 3:

Quote:
Rule 3 (General definitions)
For the purpose of these Rules, except where the context otherwise requires:

(a) The word "vessel" includes every description of water craft, including non-displacement craft, WIG craft and seaplanes, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.

(b) The term "power-driven vessel" means any vessel propelled by machinery.
The fact that the vast majority of us don’t use these signals doesn’t mean that we aren’t supposed to under the rules.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 10:42   #11

Boat: Hullmaster 27

It's also in the Canadian Modifications, but not for small boats or some scheduled ferries.
Quote:
34 (k) In the Canadian waters of a roadstead, harbour, river, lake or inland waterway, a power-driven vessel of 12 metres or more in length that is leaving a dock or berth shall give a signal of one prolonged blast unless ... <exceptions for ferries>
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 11:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
COLREGS and Inland Rules apply to all vessels equally, from super tankers down to stand up paddle boards. Horsepower and size have nothing to do with it.
Ever see a Paddleboard with a air operated signal horn?
Lol, as I've said, rules or not.
Most do not even use signals during fog events. Obviously Wrong.
Do paddle boards even have machinery?
Paddle boards cannot be included.
Just saying, that's a contradiction.
SV Cloud Duster
Old 14-12-2019, 13:57   #13

Quote:
SV Cloud Duster
FYI:

https://worldpaddleassociation.com/p...ed-as-vessels/

December 30, 2010

PFD Laws – SUP or Paddleboards Now Classified as Vessels
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has officially classified stand up paddleboards (SUP) as a vessel. With the rapid growth of SUP in recent years on the West and East coast of the United States, the Coast Guard recently classified “paddleboards”, meaning SUP’s as “vessels.” SUP, the newly classified vessels must comply with federal Navigation Rules and “carriage” requirements when operated beyond the limits of a swimming, surfing or bathing area. Adult stand-up paddlers are required to have a USCG-approved life jacket also known as Personal Floatation Device (PFD, Type III) for each person, a sound signaling device (whistle), visual distress signal and navigation light (flashlight).

With this said there are many details with the new PFD law that most cities and harbors are now enforcing. All persons 12 years old and under are required to wear a USCG-approved life jacket or PFD however all operators over 12 years of age are only required to have a Type III adult USCG-approved life jacket or PFD either attached to the vessel or on the operators person. As stated in the first paragraph, SUP operators are not required to wear or have a PFD if you are in the surf line. So, SUP surfers are not required to wear a PFD. The WPA will be inquiring for an exception with the new PFD law with the USCG. The letter will state “if the stand up paddleboard operator is tethered (wearing a leash) to their board or vessel, can this be deemed as an alternate or replacement for having a PFD.” Most would feel that a stock (12’6”) or larger SUP board would be a better floatation device as long as the operator were attached to the vessel. How much easier would it be to administer CPR or first aid to a victim or person in need on a SUP board rather than in the water?

The same requirements apply to kayaks and other manually propelled vessels of similar size. Stand-up paddleboards are exempt from hull identification number and registration requirements. Please know that motor and large sail vessels have the right of way over paddleboards, kayaks and SUP crafts. It is your responsibility to know the rules of the water, so be safe considerate of other large vessels. The Harbor Patrol will continue to educate and enforce the new law with all stand-up paddlers.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 15:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Nope, as far my memory goes, you got it right, one long blast for departing. If you are backing out, one long blast and 3 short. That’s u.s. waters as far as I know, not sure if it’s in COLREGS, gotta check. I usually only hear bigger yachts and commercial vessels do that ‘round here, but even the ferry doesn’t always do it strangely enough.
In a Marina might not go over well at 0400 Hrs. espeacaly if you plan to come back anytime soon !
lord at sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 15:54   #15

Quote:
SV Cloud Duster
Didn't say that know the rules, or would follow them if they did. But the Rules do apply.