Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2019, 09:31   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Galapgos: Can I arrive without prior notice ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I sailed into the Galapagos with no permits. I was told I could stay for 3 days. I went to see the head of the navy, the navy runs the islands water. I spoke with him and told him I wanted to cruise the islands. He said come back tomorrow. I came back and he told me he had arranged for a boat with a guide to take us around the islands. I said I wanted to take my own boat. He said that is not possible. I asked how much the guide boat would cost. He said $900. I pulled out nine $100 bills and laid them on the table, I said how about if I paid you? He picked it up and said “Stay as long as you want, go where you want, I will put a guide on your boat”.

I stayed two weeks, had a wonderful time.

M
What year did this event occur?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:38   #17

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
I sailed into the Galapagos with no permits. I was told I could stay for 3 days. I went to see the head of the navy, the navy runs the islands water. I spoke with him and told him I wanted to cruise the islands. He said come back tomorrow. I came back and he told me he had arranged for a boat with a guide to take us around the islands. I said I wanted to take my own boat. He said that is not possible. I asked how much the guide boat would cost. He said $900. I pulled out nine $100 bills and laid them on the table, I said how about if I paid you? He picked it up and said “Stay as long as you want, go where you want, I will put a guide on your boat”.

I stayed two weeks, had a wonderful time.

M
Without a lot more details I am calling BS on this. Starting with the date this happened.

Even with totally legit paperwork there is a limit on how long you can stay and where you can go. In fact many places in the Galapagos are off limits to all but boats with special permits that are expensive and nearly impossible to get.

There are also lots of extras added on to what seem to be legit fees. For one thing it is normal for a diver to visit the boat when it arrives and inspect the bottom. Boats are also inspected for things like meat and veggies not allowed. Garbage/trash is also subject to rules. All of these things along with some more are examples of things that nickel and dime cruisers to death.

What bothers me most about posts like this is not that they illustrate how things sometimes work in third world countries where donations can grease the wheels; that is something a lot of folks already know. Rather it is the implication you can depend on things like this. Truth is there are also honest peeps living in third world countries and they will report attempted bribes. Once you get in the criminal justice system in these countries things can get really expensive.

It is hard enough to cruise when you follow the rules. Trying to cut corners is just asking for trouble.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:41   #18

Local rules change regularly and irregularly, so you can't rely on someone's past experience. When we went through in 2015 you saved about $200 if you didn't get an Autogrfo - like usd$1200 vs 1000. You were limited to the one port you entered at without an Autografo. Seemed like a poor value to me.
The Port Captains are rotated regularly from the mainland, so particular interpretation and enforcement of rules in a port can change quickly.
We had one boat come in next to us in Isabella without an Autografo. I told them the drill of what they needed to do. They got antsy and decided to take the dinghy into the port without first being boarded. The new Port Captain was pissed and he told them to leave the next morning, no exception.
Old 23-12-2019, 10:09   #19

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

I think I just shortened my bucket list. Scratch the Galapagos and just head straight for the Marquesas
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 10:20   #20

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Without a lot more details I am calling BS on this. Starting with the date this happened.

Even with totally legit paperwork there is a limit on how long you can stay and where you can go. In fact many places in the Galapagos are off limits to all but boats with special permits that are expensive and nearly impossible to get.

There are also lots of extras added on to what seem to be legit fees. For one thing it is normal for a diver to visit the boat when it arrives and inspect the bottom. Boats are also inspected for things like meat and veggies not allowed. Garbage/trash is also subject to rules. All of these things along with some more are examples of things that nickel and dime cruisers to death.

What bothers me most about posts like this is not that they illustrate how things sometimes work in third world countries where donations can grease the wheels; that is something a lot of folks already know. Rather it is the implication you can depend on things like this. Truth is there are also honest peeps living in third world countries and they will report attempted bribes. Once you get in the criminal justice system in these countries things can get really expensive.

It is hard enough to cruise when you follow the rules. Trying to cut corners is just asking for trouble.
it was about 8 years ago, I was not cutting corners, I was simply dealing with the folks at the country I wanted to visit.

Think what you wish, I enjoyed my time, paid the price of admittance. You can wish govt officials were perfect but they are not. ALL over the world. From paying cigarettes in Arab countries, giving a bottle of scotch to British customs, to putting a 20 dollar bill in your passport. You can fight it and spend time waiting or not getting cleared if you wish. But this is the way in most countries. I wish it were not, but I learned early when cruising to other countries that this is how it is done.

I was 2ed officer on a Ro/Ro running between Miami and Lemon Costa Rica, we had to give the custom officer five cases of Johnny Walker or they would inspect every container which would delay our discharge time by days. Time or money. It is not I that creates this, it is the way it is.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 10:21   #21

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
[START RANT]

Why do some chowderheads consider showing up to a country without following the rules / proper procedures / laws as a "reasonable" option. It's not 'reasonable;' it is downright inconsiderate, rude, and selfish narcissism.

IMHO, folks like this are the googans of the cruising community, and only leave resentment and undesirable reputations in their wake.

[/END RANT]
Me agree with this , try getting into America without the right bit if Paper from the UK!!!!!
This reeks of arrogant and selfish behaviour that leads to the authorities making it even harder , why cheat, lie , and in the other post bribe an official , bloody scandalous , how about all those centrals Americans trying to get into the US and you found out they were bribing the officials to get in .
I do not get people that follow one set of rues in the first world and then try and behave like wonkers with a superiority complex

And for those that have done it 20 years ago I think you need to check the official Galapagos website and noonsite

And those that think its expensive , heres a thought dont go, there not trying to stop boats , just keep the rift raft out like those that fit into my comments above , and no doubt have not fumigated their boat nor cleaned the bottom because hey who care its not my country right
Argue that peeps
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 10:51   #22

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I sailed into the Galapagos with no permits. I was told I could stay for 3 days. I went to see the head of the navy, the navy runs the islands water. I spoke with him and told him I wanted to cruise the islands. He said come back tomorrow. I came back and he told me he had arranged for a boat with a guide to take us around the islands. I said I wanted to take my own boat. He said that is not possible. I asked how much the guide boat would cost. He said $900. I pulled out nine $100 bills and laid them on the table, I said how about if I paid you? He picked it up and said “Stay as long as you want, go where you want, I will put a guide on your boat”. I stayed two weeks, had a wonderful time.
And what would you have done if he had you arrested for attempting to bribe a government official; and you had been charged $5000 in bail, fines, and fees? Anyone who tries to repeatedly play this game will have his luck run out sooner or later.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 11:30   #23

Boat: Outremer 51

Going to the Galapagos on your own boat is very expensive. I went there in April this year and consistent with what was stated above, it costs about $2000-$2500 in fees depending on your boat, number of crew and how long you want to stay.

You can arrive without an autografo, agent etc, but this option is really intended for vessels that have some sort of emergency. If you do this, you’ll be restricted to one port and probably forced to leave within 3 days. I know someone who chose this approach this year and they were forced to leave at a time when there was no wind. They had to motor for days to find the wind and their passage to the Marquesas was very long and I’m sure not the experience they had hoped for.

While very expensive, the Galapagos was one of the most wonderful experiences that we have enjoyed so far on our circumnavigation and I would say it was worth it. We had a great time and really enjoyed being able to take our time, take local tours and really enjoy the amazing wildlife. Having said that, if I ever sail across the Pacific again, I don’t think I would stop again, once was enough.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 13:47   #24
Marine Service Provider

I have considered the Galapagos, but the $800 to $2,000 quoted above has convinced me that the documentaries are the best way to see the islands. That way, you don't have to deal with the officials and can view all the strange animals (non-human) from the comfort of your chair and with a narrator to tell you about them.
Old 23-12-2019, 13:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
I have considered the Galapagos, but the $800 to $2,000 quoted above has convinced me that the documentaries are the best way to see the islands. That way, you don't have to deal with the officials and can view all the strange animals (non-human) from the comfort of your chair and with a narrator to tell you about them.
Smart move, you can save a lot too by skipping buying the cruising boat and just watch youtube videos. Way cheaper
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 14:46   #26

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Definitely calling bs on anyone who thinks handing a bottle of scotch to an employee of HM Customs is anything but a very bad idea indeed...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 16:03   #27

Boat: Norseman 447

Paying a liveaboard watcher has been a option for years when private boats went out beyond the designated anchorages. The $900 quote may have been slightly discounted, but not much. And I’ll bet it was about as expensive than a hotel for the same period.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 16:15   #28

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We went to the Galapagos from Ecuador and our agent in Ecuador arranged for us to work with an agent in the Galapagos. We only went to San Cristobal and took a five day tour from there with a company called Sharksky. Very reasonable price that included transport between islands, hotels, meals, and activities. Overall a great experience but the boat costs are not cheap, but worth it from our perspective.
https://sharksky.com
Old 23-12-2019, 16:15   #29

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I recently asked a local charter skipper .. a Belgian.. what he suggested.

He simply confirmed what I was thinking...

He suggested leaving the boat at Puerto Lucia.... book a 4 day tour... fly from Guayaquil.... cheap enough if booked 'in country'.

So that is my plan for the new year..
Old 23-12-2019, 16:26   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivienne-Claire View Post
...apart from anything else you are bringing in your dirty bottom. They don't like that, and it is a danger to the environment.
if you think a dirty bottom slows you down, think what it does to your boat.