Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2019, 17:20   #31

Boat: KP 46
Re: Galapgos: Can I arrive without prior notice ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Definitely calling bs on anyone who thinks handing a bottle of scotch to an employee of HM Customs is anything but a very bad idea indeed...
I was laying in South Shields, we were there for two months. Customs came down about every two weeks or so. He would ask if we needed anything out of our Bonded Stores locker. He always went away with a bottle of Glenfiddich. I don't think you know HMS Customs that well.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 17:34   #32
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Smart move, you can save a lot too by skipping buying the cruising boat and just watch youtube videos. Way cheaper
I could also buy a ticket on a cruise line and watch you pay the $2,000 arrival fee.
Old 23-12-2019, 18:51   #33

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
I could also buy a ticket on a cruise line and watch you pay the $2,000 arrival fee.
When we did the Galapagos the cost for 3 anchorages was usd$1200 total for two people. It would make little sense in my mind to sail to the Galapagos just to visit and then go back to the mainland. You'd be better to fly and take a small, higher end cruise ship.
If you are leaving Panama or Ecuador for French Polynesia then the Galapogos are on your way and a good stop.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 07:25   #34

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
When we did the Galapagos the cost for 3 anchorages was usd$1200 total for two people. It would make little sense in my mind to sail to the Galapagos just to visit and then go back to the mainland. You'd be better to fly and take a small, higher end cruise ship.
If you are leaving Panama or Ecuador for French Polynesia then the Galapogos are on your way and a good stop.
Not the first time I have replied to a post asking just when this happened. As I, and others, have posted it currently costs around $US2,000-$US2,500 depending on the size of the boat and number of crew to enter the Galapagos. Posting costs from eight years ago, or other non current costs levels, does little except recount ancient history.

The bottom line is the government in the Galapagos is facing a demand by boats to enter that exceeds the supply of places boats can enter. I can remember back in the 1950s when I first visited a foreign country how little it costs. Both Cuba and the Bahamas welcomed Americans and there was literally nothing required to get in; and the same was true of a lot of other foreign countries. This is no longer true. Not to mention in addition to the legit legal hoops you have to jump through there are also scammers who are looking to take advantage of the situation.

Be careful out there.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 07:46   #35

Boat: Norseman 447

For those who casually look at a map and say "The Galapagos are on the way to French Polynesia," I suggest you also look at the Pilot Charts. When you leave Panama or Costa Rica, the Galapagos are about 900 miles to the SW. Most of the year, if there are winds, they will be from the SW quadrant. So often times you will have to motor most of the way or beat to windward the whole trip. That’s not to say you can’t do it.

It’s often easier (I’ve done it twice) to go from Panama to mainland Ecuador, do all the proper paperwork, then an easy beam reach to the Galapagos.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 10:02   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not the first time I have replied to a post asking just when this happened. As I, and others, have posted it currently costs around $US2,000-$US2,500 depending on the size of the boat and number of crew to enter the Galapagos. Posting costs from eight years ago, or other non current costs levels, does little except recount ancient history.

The bottom line is the government in the Galapagos is facing a demand by boats to enter that exceeds the supply of places boats can enter. I can remember back in the 1950s when I first visited a foreign country how little it costs. Both Cuba and the Bahamas welcomed Americans and there was literally nothing required to get in; and the same was true of a lot of other foreign countries. This is no longer true. Not to mention in addition to the legit legal hoops you have to jump through there are also scammers who are looking to take advantage of the situation.

Be careful out there.
Old 25-12-2019, 10:06   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
For those who casually look at a map and say "The Galapagos are on the way to French Polynesia," I suggest you also look at the Pilot Charts. When you leave Panama or Costa Rica, the Galapagos are about 900 miles to the SW. Most of the year, if there are winds, they will be from the SW quadrant. So often times you will have to motor most of the way or beat to windward the whole trip. That’s not to say you can’t do it.

It’s often easier (I’ve done it twice) to go from Panama to mainland Ecuador, do all the proper paperwork, then an easy beam reach to the Galapagos.
It was far from a beat when we did Panama to Galapagos to Marquesas. You can time your exit from Panama to get a couple of fast days with NE winds. Then it is often light winds till near Galapagos where it is often a wind hole.
Old 25-12-2019, 12:41   #38

Boat: Norseman 447

Of course one can plan their departure based on weather. But you might be surprised at the number of people who don’t.

My first trip to Ecuador, I didn’t. I decided to stop in the Perlas for a couple of weeks. It took two weeks with the wind from the SW most of the way for the rest of the trip.

My second trip, made at the right time, we arrived at the entrance to Bahia de Caraquez in a little over 4 days, downwind all the way.

From Bahia to Wreck Bay was 5 days on a beam reach.

If your timing is wrong, it’s far easier to skip the Galapagos and head direct to FP.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 13:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick;3043199[B
]Of course one can plan their departure based on weather. But you might be surprised at the number of people who don’t. [/B]

My first trip to Ecuador, I didn’t. I decided to stop in the Perlas for a couple of weeks. It took two weeks with the wind from the SW most of the way for the rest of the trip.

My second trip, made at the right time, we arrived at the entrance to Bahia de Caraquez in a little over 4 days, downwind all the way.

From Bahia to Wreck Bay was 5 days on a beam reach.

If your timing is wrong, it’s far easier to skip the Galapagos and head direct to FP.
Yea, I'd be real surprised that cruisers take off on a passage without planing on departure weather. Just not my experience. Of course just cause you plan doesn't mean that's what you'll get when you actually get out there.
Old 30-12-2019, 10:19   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Was in Galapagos April 2019, cost $2200US for 3 islands. 50ft mono
- most boarding inspectors of anywhere in the world at 14! (Though that included my agent, there to act as interpreter/fixer) 2 of everything including divers for hull & bug inspectors for interior.

Eco Tourism is how they make money, and they are very controlling of yachties, zero interest in allowing cruisers access to anything unless you hire a liveaboard guide.
- Santa Cruz is a crowded, rolly anchorage
- Isabela (specifically the lava tubes) is a jewel

Bought eggs at farmers market, but they were definitely old, went bad after a couple weeks.

Leaving your boat on the mainland and flying in for a visit is likely a far better deal.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 13:35   #41

Boat: Discovery 55

I went to a talk given by Jimmy Cornell and he recommended going North of the Galapagos before turning South to the Marquesas, he said that there was more wind that way. I have no idea what time if year he was suggesting that route, but for him it was not worth stopping now. I assume he has been there in the past when things were very different. I do not understand why they have so much hostility when ti me it is the cruise ships that are ruining everything.
Paul Reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 15:39   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

For sure the plan seems to be sail out of Panama and see where the wind is. Having also done a trip hard into SW winds most the way to the Equator. Not doing that again and then paying $2500!

It appears they allow you 12 hours stay, without payment. There used to be a nice place to get some Chicken foot soup. Wonder if it's still there?
Old 30-12-2019, 18:06   #43

Another greedy dot on the globe to sail past.
79Endeavour32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 23:51   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I sailed into the Galapagos with no permits. I was told I could stay for 3 days. I went to see the head of the navy, the navy runs the islands water. I spoke with him and told him I wanted to cruise the islands. He said come back tomorrow. I came back and he told me he had arranged for a boat with a guide to take us around the islands. I said I wanted to take my own boat. He said that is not possible. I asked how much the guide boat would cost. He said $900. I pulled out nine $100 bills and laid them on the table, I said how about if I paid you? He picked it up and said “Stay as long as you want, go where you want, I will put a guide on your boat”.

I stayed two weeks, had a wonderful time.

M
You promote bribery! This is not a good example and not good for the sailors community.
Vandusseldorpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 09:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Endeavour32 View Post
Another greedy dot on the globe to sail past.
You could interpret it as greedy, but that implies that they want you and opur money there. The Galapagos does not want individual cruising boats. Cruisers contribute little to the economy and they don't fit into the money making tourist economy that supports the islands.

So if sailing past is your aproach, it's fine with the Ecuadorians.