Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 13:17   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Whats the Current Hotness in Bottom Paint?

I only ever recommend two products- Pettit Trinidad if you want a hard paint, and Interlux Micron 66 if you want an ablative. All other paints are inferior by comparison, IMHO.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 17:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I only ever recommend two products- Pettit Trinidad if you want a hard paint, and Interlux Micron 66 if you want an ablative. All other paints are inferior by comparison, IMHO.
Can you explain the difference between the two?
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 18:16   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolman View Post
Can you explain the difference between the two?
From the West Marine Advisor:

Copolymer/ablative paints

Copolymer paints release biocide at a constant controlled rate throughout their lives, wearing away or “ablating” much like a bar of soap. Paint wears off faster in higher drag areas on the hull and appendages. These paints work well in high-growth areas and continue to be effective after haulout at the end of the season. In the spring, the paint is reactivated with a scrubbing or light sanding and you’re ready for another season. This is a huge time-saver for those living in northern climates. While the percentage of copper in the paint is important for evaluating its effectiveness, copper content is not the only consideration. Controlled polishing, the technology that controls how quickly the paint wears away, is another way we measure the effectiveness in a copolymer ablative paint.

Modified epoxy
If you keep your boat in the water year round you are most likely a candidate for a high-copper-content modified epoxy paint that prevents growth by leaching biocides upon contact with water. Contact leaching paint releases the biocide at a steadily decreasing rate, leaving the hard coating of the original thickness at season’s end. Higher copper content, rather than the type of paint binder as with ablative paints, generally means greater effective performance in this paint type. Modified epoxy paints adhere tenaciously to most surfaces, and can be applied over most types of paints. Since these types of paints do not wear away, build-up will occur with each new coat and eventually your hull will need to have the coating stripped.

The West Advisor: Bottom Paint
Old 07-12-2013, 18:30   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

Trinidad SR is da bomb.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 20:14   #20

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
What ablative would you recommend if Micron 66 isn't an option (e.g. you want to be able to go up a river).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 20:25   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Outside of the US, I have seen a product called Micron 77, which is advertised as the same as Micron 66, only able to be used in fresh water.

Seahawk also sells a Micron 66 type of paint that is good in fresh water.

We have had Micron 66 before and spending up to 6 weeks continually in fresh water is no problem with it. It is widely used in the Chesapeake, where the creeks that most boats are kept in are brackish at best and pretty fresh when it rains hard.

If one needed to keep it a boat in fresh water all the time, or a majority of the time, than that wouldn't be good.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 20:31   #22

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Mark -
Did you see what I wrote in post#2? "... if you bring it in fresh water it is rendered ineffective (permanently, according to an Interlux tech support guy I spoke with on the phone)".

I was very specific when I spoke with that tech support guy. I asked him a second time "permanently?". He said yes.

A friend also went up the CT River with Micron 66 and the following week it came away from the hull -- came off in sheets.

This is all going back 7+ years ago, so perhaps they've changed their formula. I'd like to call them again to find out their current position on this. I used that paint for 2 years and had zero growth in western Long Island Sound (a very nutrient-rich high-growth area) not even slime.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 20:49   #23

Yes, it is a good paint.

I also talked to Interlux tech support before using it. Strangely, I was told fresh water for short term was OK. When I asked about short term, I was given the information I posted.

We have had no problems with Micron 66 in short term fresh water usage and longer term brackish water (occasionally fresh through rain). It has neither fell off, nor lost effectiveness.

I know many boats that have never been in fresh water, yet their Micron 66 has come off in sheets. A surprising number of them. I suspect that this paint is very sensitive to bottom prep and previous paints. I have doubts that your friend's problem was from one short trip up the CT river.

And again, the paint is very popular in the Chesapeake, where contact with brackish and fresh water is common.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 07-12-2013, 21:27   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
What ablative would you recommend if Micron 66 isn't an option (e.g. you want to be able to go up a river).
I dunno. I suppose any of the other Micron products are good. CSC for example.
Old 07-12-2013, 21:28   #25
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I know many boats that have never been in fresh water, yet their Micron 66 has come off in sheets. A surprising number of them.
I have been diving Micron 66 bottoms for years and have never run across this problem.
Old 07-12-2013, 22:16   #26

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Whats the current hotness in bottom paint?

Quote:
While Micron 66 is an excellent product, the above statement simply isn't true.
I think your experience may be the result of high fresh water content of SF Bay. As you know, fresh water ruins Micron 66.

My experience through our circumnavigation is that Micron 66 is a better product than any other used by all of the boats we met in the last 8 years. Micron 66 has stayed clean for up to 2 years. We haul and reapply every two years.

Also, we actually move from point A to point B.

You may not be aware that there is a new Micron...it is Micron 77 and throughout Europe, it has replaced 66. It is as good as 66, but will work in fresh water as well.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 23:11   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Whats the current hotness in bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I think your experience may be the result of high fresh water content of SF Bay. As you know, fresh water ruins Micron 66.
You are mistaken. San Francisco Bay does not have a high fresh water content. It is very close to seawater, salinity-wise. And as I stated, Micron 66 is an excellent product that works well here. My point was; saying that Micron 66 eliminates all slime and hard fouling growth, well that simply isn't the case. Maybe it is in some places where fouling is very light or the season is short. But not here.
Old 08-12-2013, 00:46   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Over this side of the pond we have Micron Extra 2. No restrictions on water type.

Dave
Old 08-12-2013, 06:25   #29

Quote:
I have been diving Micron 66 bottoms for years and have never run across this problem.
I don't know what to tell you, but I have seen it many times myself. Two weeks ago, for the most recent example. I suspect it is an application or compatibility issue that you don't see in SF area. Throughout the Caribbean, DIY, low-quality labor and oddball local paints (and tin paints) are very common. I am guessing that in SF, professional yards with trained personnel applying only a couple of compatible paints is more the norm.

Mark

Old 11-12-2013, 06:47   #30

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft

I am considering using and would like comments on Interlux AQUA. Has anyone got any, pro or con.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, current, paint