Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 02:52   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Watermakers (desalinators)

I've done a search on this forum to see if there are any previous threads on water-makers but have found none.

Has anyone had experience or heard any reports on these el cheapo units? (The last time I checked they were selling for a bit over $US2000)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/21-GPH-W...53.m1438.l2649
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Watermakers (desalinators)

SeaWaterPro Watermakerhttps://seawaterpro.com/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Thanks for that link Gord: I'll certainly look at it carefully.

But I'm wondering if someone has had first-hand experience?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:44   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I've done a search on this forum to see if there are any previous threads on water-makers but have found none.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...om+water-maker
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:45   #5
cruiser

For that brand

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...eawater-pro%22
Old 08-09-2019, 15:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Thanks for that but I was looking on the cruisersforum for a previous thread but I couldn't find any. The nearest I got was:

Oct 21, 2018 - Hi...we are looking at fitting a water-maker and the Seawater Pro looks affordable and adequate for our needs. Does anybody have experience ...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-209108.html

But there are some comments there that seem to be relevant.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2019, 18:24   #7
cruiser

If you bothered to look, hundreds of threads discussing watermakers are listed in the **cruisersforum** specific list I linked for you.

And the second one, specific to that brand of watermaker.

Learning how to gather information will be an investment that returns to you a hundred-fold.

Best of luck.
Old 09-09-2019, 00:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If you bothered to look, hundreds of threads discussing watermakers are listed in the **cruisersforum** specific list I linked for you.

And the second one, specific to that brand of watermaker.

Learning how to gather information will be an investment that returns to you a hundred-fold.

Best of luck.

I was hoping for a one-on-one "chat" with a fellow forum member about his experiences with that specific unit. Looking at threads 3/4 years old is therefore not appropriate.

I've done lots of searches on water-makers on the internet but as soon as I find they were talking of units around $8K+ I quickly lose interest.

" Learning how to gather information will be an investment that returns to you a hundred-fold."

Thank you for that gratuitous advice Have a good day
Old 09-09-2019, 03:19   #9

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
I was hoping for a one-on-one "chat" with a fellow forum member about his experiences with that specific unit. Looking at threads 3/4 years old is therefore not appropriate.

I've done lots of searches on water-makers on the internet but as soon as I find they were talking of units around $8K+ I quickly lose interest.

" Learning how to gather information will be an investment that returns to you a hundred-fold."

Thank you for that gratuitous advice[emoji2] Have a good day
Dont worry about some of the posters here that are somewhat condescending. They are usually the same people that are offended when they are challenged.

I have a Seawater Pro unit. I have installed it, but am still working through my refit. So have not tested it in anger yet.

But I can say that so far, the service and components all seem quite good. My limited installation testing has also been good. I got the basic kit plus a few upgrades and extras, like an extra membrane housing and the Stainless pump.

I have also just purchased his remote panel but havent installed it yet. I was chasing parts to do my own but then noticed he has started offering them so got one from him.

Although I will still add some additional features I want like some selector valves for Rinse, Pickle and Sample, and a low Press regulator.

Anything else I can help with?

Good luck.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:39   #10

I also have a seawater pro unit. I have been making water with it for about a year. Simple and so far trouble free. I did invest in the upgraded as pump and motor
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
Dont worry about some of the posters here that are somewhat condescending. They are usually the same people that are offended when they are challenged.

I have a Seawater Pro unit. I have installed it, but am still working through my refit. So have not tested it in anger yet.

But I can say that so far, the service and components all seem quite good. My limited installation testing has also been good. I got the basic kit plus a few upgrades and extras, like an extra membrane housing and the Stainless pump.

I have also just purchased his remote panel but havent installed it yet. I was chasing parts to do my own but then noticed he has started offering them so got one from him.

Although I will still add some additional features I want like some selector valves for Rinse, Pickle and Sample, and a low Press regulator.

Anything else I can help with?

Good luck.

Thank you for your pleasant and informative comment.

I've done a fair bit of research and was intending to build my own (Just as Roger Shaw has done) but I've decided to install a Seawater Pro unit as the maker has a tested unit and I don't mind paying someone for sourcing components and making the effort to put a package together. I have contacted Seawater Pro people and they are happy to supply a unit without the 110V pump (We use 240V in Australia)

I'm still working on my yacht (doing the chain/cable steering right now) but I'm thinking ahead to the next component of the yacht. I've looked at the video clip they have produced and there does not appear to be anything complicated to fitting it together. (So easy)

My yacht is not in the water at this stage so I suppose I should think about through hull fittings. Do you have a dedicated through hull fitting for the inlet and if so what size? What about disposal of the brine? Do you have a though hull fitting for that or do you use a cockpit drain?

One other concern is the power (2400W?) required run the pump. Do you expect to handle that without concern? (I know the catamarans with an almost unlimited supply of solar power don't have a problem at all!)

Thank you for your help.

Clive
Old 09-09-2019, 04:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I also have a seawater pro unit. I have been making water with it for about a year. Simple and so far trouble free. I did invest in the upgraded as pump and motor

WOW!~ It must be my lucky day! Someone with a year's experience of using a Seawater Pro and Q Xopa who has just installed one.

I'll certainly get back to you as I wonder how you operate it - every day, maybe every second day? Does power usage present a problem?

When I think of other questions I'll get back to you if you don't mind

Cheers

Clive
Old 09-09-2019, 08:36   #13

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Thank you for your pleasant and informative comment.

I've done a fair bit of research and was intending to build my own (Just as Roger Shaw has done) but I've decided to install a Seawater Pro unit as the maker has a tested unit and I don't mind paying someone for sourcing components and making the effort to put a package together. I have contacted Seawater Pro people and they are happy to supply a unit without the 110V pump (We use 240V in Australia)

I'm still working on my yacht (doing the chain/cable steering right now) but I'm thinking ahead to the next component of the yacht. I've looked at the video clip they have produced and there does not appear to be anything complicated to fitting it together. (So easy)

My yacht is not in the water at this stage so I suppose I should think about through hull fittings. Do you have a dedicated through hull fitting for the inlet and if so what size? What about disposal of the brine? Do you have a though hull fitting for that or do you use a cockpit drain?

One other concern is the power (2400W?) required run the pump. Do you expect to handle that without concern? (I know the catamarans with an almost unlimited supply of solar power don't have a problem at all!)

Thank you for your help.

Clive
Havent finalised my thru hulls yet. That, a new motor and synthetic rigging is what Im doing ATM. Im changing a bunch around, filling in a number, now having Composting heads, and looking at a Sea chest setup.

My refit is taking a while, sneaking it in between work trips, but Im getting there. I have a big push coming in 5 weeks.

Im actually Australian too, although living in Panama and working currently in Pakistan, so hear what youre saying about 240v.

Mike, from SeawaterPro was great to deal with he was straight and efficient. In fact almost all the marine suppliers (except for one elec outfit).

Yes I've got a good amount of solar 4 x 330w so far, crammed onto my poor CT49. Its actually a bit unwieldly so I might be trimming this back a bit. Lets see if its practical or not when Im back in the water.

I've also got 2 x 3,000W Inverters and 2 x 110A 24V alternators. Im just going to have to see if and how it will all work together. Im sure there is going to be some working out to be done.

I've also built up my own DC Diesel generator. I have been intending to use it. But Im thinking now I might just be better off getting myself a Honda 220i.

I've got my brine outlet into my galley sink. I like to check it as part of my WM start up checks. If it annoys me I'll move it later. Someone upthread mentioned the sink has a stop cock. I guess if I forget, I'll remember when I see the sink filling up. Its all a bit of a continual development process.

Sounds like youre getting it done.

Keep up the good work.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:03   #14

Boat: CA 34

We've been using our Seawater Pro (with the Karcher pump) twice a week for almost two years now and we have had no problems. The system works just like it's supposed to pumping twenty gallons an hour.

Sea Water Pro provides exceptional after sales service and has always been available to answer questions whenever needful. I just wish other purveyors of marine goods and services had their level of service.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:40   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Sometimes, just looking at the post count and time on CF will give you a clue to the veracity of the information provided.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker