Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 06:11   #1

Boat: Spirit 6.5
Question Encasing a crnter board pocket

I purchased a Hake Seaward 24 from a Marine graveyard for pennies. The only issue with this boat is the center board - as best we can surmise - dropped off the boat - probably because the line snapped - and created a leak in the housing for the board. I also own a Hake 22 that I have sailed around LIS without using the board. The affect on performance I find minimal. Seaward boats - to me - are more about comfort, easy maintenance, and nosing up to the beach with itís two foot draft. So - we are considering closing up the center board trunk. Wanted to see if anyone has done this sort of procedure and how they went about it. And yes we have spent a week trying to locate the source of the leak to patch it. We think itís midway between the keel tube cable and the bottom of the keel. No way to get at it.

SanSimeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:23   #2

Boat: Boatless at the moment
Re: Encasing a crnter board pocket

I have never done what you are proposing but to do it correctly you will need access to both sides of the hull. Are you planning on removing the centerboard slot?

kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:58   #3

If you can't pinpoint exactly where it's leaking, there could be something seriously, structurally wrong, which is why it was pennies on the dollar...

I'm guessing the cost and effort to find the damage, properly grind it out and redo the whole centerboard system would be prohibitive, unless you have some free yard space and tons of time on your hands. But IMHO it would not be worth it or safe to not have a centerboard. So it might be simplest to design a fixed stub keel and permanently mount it in a way that also strengthens and fills the keel trunk area.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 18:08   #4

Boat: J/36

Many friends of ours with Tartan 37’s and Bristol 35.5’s sail these centerboard boats with the board permanently up and, like you with your 22’er, don’t notice much difference in performance. Capping off the slot on your Seaward 24 and ‘glassing over it sounds like a brilliant solution to a leaky centerboard trunk. The keel stub that houses the centerboard in the design already appears fairly substantial and sufficient to prevent too much leeway. Any structural issues that the dropped board may have caused should be resolved/repaired by ‘glassing if over, perhaps with a piece of wood across the bottom to tie up any loose structural pieces. Go for it.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 18:25   #5

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

At least on a Bristol 35.5, there is a substantial difference in performance with the CB. If they race, this will quickly become very apparent. It may be that the difference is unimportant to them, but there really is a difference. Otherwise, why would anyone bother with the damn thing?

Is the board completely gone or is the leak the main issue?

Tags
enc