Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 09:06   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Use butytl for chainplates

I like using butyl tape for bedding deck fittings. I'm now working on rebedding the chainplates. Can butyl be used here also and if so, then how do you put it in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	214747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	214748  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	214749  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:10   #2

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer
Re: Use butytl for chainplates

Sure, why not. It is the only thing I have used for deck fittings, chain plates, etc.
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:29   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There are better products though.
Island Packet sail boats suffer from chain plate breakage as they get old, the cause of this breakage is salt intrusion from leaking chain plates, they changed the design slightly in newer boats and use a slightly different metal, but they still have a problem on older boats of course, they did some pretty extensive testing and decided that GE silpruf 2002 was the best seal.
One of its intended uses is to glue in structural windows in sky scrapers, it’s extremely flexible and keeps that though temp extremes, and not having enough flexibility is where things like 5200 fail In this application.
https://www.siliconeforbuilding.com/...836001c1/.aspx

To use it, it’s a caulk tube product and your it in a caulk gun and fill the cavity as much as possible, ideally if can see the inside you fill it completely.
I believe it’s actually scs2000, the last digit being a 2 in what I quoted means it’s white. I think, but am not sure.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:44   #4

Yes, butyl is perfect for that:

Chainplate Rebedding 101 - with Bed It with Butyl from Maine Sail

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7....html#msg49430
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Rebedded my chain plates with butyl tape 9 years ago and so far have not leaked a drop. Same design as yours, coming through a slot cut in the deck.

I crammed as much as I could into the hole around the chainplate, then a large glob around it on the deck then screwed down the cover in steps to squeeze out the excess.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:38   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The beauty of butyl is its elastic nature that allows it to move with the hardware without losing its seal. To me the ideal sealant for chain plates.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:04   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I like using butyl tape for bedding deck fittings. I'm now working on rebedding the chainplates. Can butyl be used here also and if so, then how do you put it in?
Yes! I just rebedded the chainplates on my Catalina 470, and that's what I used. Given that the the hull and deck will inevitably flex, the chainplates will experience some movement. Butyl is great for this as it never hardens, and will keep the seal due to its flexibility. Good stuff!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:06   #8

Boat: Irwin 46

After much research I used a product called Silaprene. According to the product specs it creates a bond with metal resulting in a watertight seal. I re-bedded my chainplates on my C&C 35 10 years ago and haven't had any leaks yet. Stuff is very reasonable:

https://raybuck.com/product/silaprene-adhesive/
Sailtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:35   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

once I found butyl tape, I use it for everything above the waterline, I recently pulled my chainplate covers that I sealed with butyl tape 8 years ago, stuff was still sticky and stretchy and sealed very well. I see no reason to have so many different sealers as butyl tape does most everything, also I can't make a mess like with a calk gun.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:40   #10

Boat: Baba 40

If you use butyl, recommend backing from the inside with some blue tape (or the like) and using a heat gun to soften it up for flowing.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:46   #11

Boat: Beneteau 343

I used butyl for my chainplates back in 2015 and it worked well. In late 2018 Hurricane Michael ravaged my boat leading to a complete disassembly and a recommissioning in which I used butyl again. I used the white stuff from Camper's World which is easy to use; no leaks, no mess, no fuss.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 15:32   #12

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Has anyone used this on rebedding handrails?

We have Rod Collins' (Mainesails) butyl and love it, but we only use it in bolted applications where the cone-collar on the fastener doesn't move (see his tutorial on rebedding), so am concerned for the extended twist, even if I COULD manage to get them all down to that level at the same time without disturbing its position (1.5" penetration on either 3 or 5 screws).
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 18:08   #13

Boat: Taswell 43

After having leaking chainplates for years, we rebedded with butyl (bought it from West Marine) about 5 years ago....and not a leak since! When I did it, I used a wood chisel to cut a (approx 45*) angle from the teak deck down to the inside liner, then backfilled the cavity with butyl and fitted the cap on top. Lots of material to move and maintain the seal, no cracking, and dry on the inside. We also bedded our 2 deck prisms with butyl....and, again-no leaks. Works good, last a long time!!!!!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:52   #14

Boat: Boat

Quote:
A word of caution, you may want to look up the last two or three episodes of Sailing Sartori on YouTube. They appear to have a very similar chain plate design to what I see protruding from your deck. They recently had a chain plate fail underway (it snapped off at deck level).

When they made it to port and pulled the remaining lowers all needed to be replaced and all the corrosion and cracking was found in the chain plate where it passed through the deck where you could not see it. What was visible above and below looked ok.

They used butyl tape to seal the covers, but speculated that this did not do enough to seal the actual deck-chainplate joint.

Of course that may be the way it was applied, I’m no butyl tape sculptor myself. Just something to watch out for.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 15:01   #15

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Your photos show the deck covers, not the actual chainplates, so yes, I love butyl tape and use it for most above the waterline sealing, including those covers.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote