Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2023, 12:39   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Thinking of using a futon mattress for the settee. Any pitfalls?

I’m going to build the main salon settee to fold out as a double bed when needed. I was just going to make if from two upholstered custom cushions but now we are thinking maybe it would be better to use a futon mattress.

(I used to sleep on a futon and found it very comfortable.)

I know they are a lot heavier than foam mattresses though, which got me wondering how they’d behave on a boat. Would they become damp over time? Any other issues?

Anyone using a futon mattress on their boat who can comment?

Matt
Old 03-08-2023, 13:33   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Thinking of using a futon mattress for the settee. Any pitfalls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I’m going to build the main salon settee to fold out as a double bed when needed. I was just going to make if from two upholstered custom cushions but now we are thinking maybe it would be better to use a futon mattress.

(I used to sleep on a futon and found it very comfortable.)

I know they are a lot heavier than foam mattresses though, which got me wondering how they’d behave on a boat. Would they become damp over time? Any other issues?

Anyone using a futon mattress on their boat who can comment?

Matt
Go for it.

I am actually building all of my settees to accept standardized cushion sizes from regular couches. The less customized marine things you get, the better everything will be in your life.

Someday when you have to replace this cushion, you can just do it in five minutes. You don’t have to hire all kinds of people and buy a sail rite sewing machine and all of that bs.

Smartest decision you could ever make on the topic.

If you are at all concerned with weather issues, just look at outdoor furniture futons for your cushion.

Your fold out idea sounds brilliant as well. Everything is right about this project.

I’m writing this message from a futon right now in my salon. It is not a custom futon however. It is IKEA. Once I build in the settees, I will ditch this thing. However, you have reminded me that maybe I should build this particular settee to accept this futon cushion I’m on now.

PS: it has been aboard for 6 years now I think
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 14:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Go for it.

I am actually building all of my settees to accept standardized cushion sizes from regular couches. The less customized marine things you get, the better everything will be in your life.

Someday when you have to replace this cushion, you can just do it in five minutes. You don’t have to hire all kinds of people and buy a sail rite sewing machine and all of that bs.

Smartest decision you could ever make on the topic.

If you are at all concerned with weather issues, just look at outdoor furniture futons for your cushion.

Your fold out idea sounds brilliant as well. Everything is right about this project.

I’m writing this message from a futon right now in my salon. It is not a custom futon however. It is IKEA. Once I build in the settees, I will ditch this thing. However, you have reminded me that maybe I should build this particular settee to accept this futon cushion I’m on now.

PS: it has been aboard for 6 years now I think
I do love Ikea stuff on the boat.

Are you in a reasonably humid location? I ask because we expect to be from time to time and that's what got me thinking about how futons might get damp.
Old 03-08-2023, 14:24   #4

Quote:
I do love Ikea stuff on the boat.

Are you in a reasonably humid location? I ask because we expect to be from time to time and that's what got me thinking about how futons might get damp.

No problems with this futon.

It has been in south Florida for 6 of those 6 years.

I’m also very sensitive to mold and nap on this thing occasionally. No cushion mold registers with me.

You could check out the humidity historic data for Florida waters (keys/Miami) to see what it’s been in.

Never a problem at all with this cushion. However, the entire boat is a fairly dry boat. It doesn’t build humidity inside or anything like that.

Currently posting from the Balkarp:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/balkarp...vbHmMGYUFbXkKD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60D7165E-F089-4F9E-A602-21A6CDAE3D8C.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	279138  
Old 04-08-2023, 02:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
No problems with this futon.

It has been in south Florida for 6 of those 6 years.

I’m also very sensitive to mold and nap on this thing occasionally. No cushion mold registers with me.

You could check out the humidity historic data for Florida waters (keys/Miami) to see what it’s been in.

Never a problem at all with this cushion. However, the entire boat is a fairly dry boat. It doesn’t build humidity inside or anything like that.

Currently posting from the Balkarp:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/balkarp...vbHmMGYUFbXkKD

Ahhh… the good old Balkarp, just like my dear old grandma used to use.

Not really.

It’s worth noting that I think the definition of futon has changed a bit. They used to be very heavy and filled with wool and/or cotton. I think now the term is more loosely applied to any kind of foam sofa with a continuous set of cushions.

But I’m happy with either, so I’ll check out the Balkarp.
Old 04-08-2023, 03:30   #6

Ha ha ha! The good old Balkarp. Just like grandma had. Had me laughing this morning.

Yes, maybe the definition has changed. The definition I have used for the past 30+ years is just something that can fold into a couch-like setting or a bed like place to sleep. The Balkarp fits this definition.

In college, I remember the futons mostly being cushions that sat on the floor doubled up to give it height so that you could sit like a couch. Then when you undid all of the attachment points and unfolded, it was a mattress on the floor.

Either way, by standardizing your boat and creating something that widely available commercially, I really think you are doing a good thing.
Old 04-08-2023, 22:37   #7

Yes, that’s the sort of thing I was imagining when I first had the idea. But a quick google revealed things have really changed.

I’ve got ikea mattresses throughout the current boat, and they’ve been terrific. I love the removable machine washable covers for a start. Plan to do the same for the new boat so perhaps I’ll just accept that futons are different now and grab myself a Balkarp too. [emoji106]
Old 06-08-2023, 03:26   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Ahhh… the good old Balkarp, just like my dear old grandma used to use.

Not really.

It’s worth noting that I think the definition of futon has changed a bit. They used to be very heavy and filled with wool and/or cotton. I think now the term is more loosely applied to any kind of foam sofa with a continuous set of cushions.

But I’m happy with either, so I’ll check out the Balkarp.
BALKARP sleeper, from IKEA:
Material Back/seat:
Polyurethane foam 1.5 lb/cu.ft., Polyester wadding, Non-woven polypropylene
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/balkarp...lack-00376932/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote