Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 13:10   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 52
Teak deck replacement in Spain - Any recommendations?

I have just started to look into the options of replacing my teak deck. Boat is located in the Valencia area in Spain and I wonder if anyone have any good/bad experiences with Spanish companies who do this type of work?
Old 28-04-2016, 13:21   #2

Re: Teak deck replacement in Spain - Any recommendations?

Hi Rune,

last year I was in charge to find a yard for a refit of a 92ft sloop in Bahamian waters (also teak deck was considered to be done).

The best price by far on the teak deck replacement (and also the other items we had on the list) we got was from Avangard Shipyards - Repair & Refit Yachts and Boats in Croatia in Croatia. Also communication was great and I talked to several other people who did some big refits there. All very positive (I did not visit the yard myself).

In the end we found out that the teak deck could wait a few years more and we went to the US for 'the rest of the refit'. I would definitely get a quote from them.

I will send you my contact details in a separate PM.

Good luck with the project!

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 13:52   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Do you have a production boat?
You might get ready made panels.For example from Wolznautic if is a Bavaria...

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 28-04-2016, 15:00   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not know where you hail from and how many years you have lived in Spain (or in a similar Med-country).

I have seen people from more temperate climates getting sicks waiting and waiting and waiting for anything to happen ...

Right now a client of ours is getting through a most unleasant situation that may end up in a litigation here. It relates directly to a boat refit (no teak deck involved though).

If you know Spain, if you know someone who can do it well, and if you are happy with earlier examples of their work, you are fine.

If you are not used to how things are here, you may be best advised to find a reliable teak deck guy where business models are built around your own temperament, ship the wood and get the job done quickly, neatly and to the projected time and cost lines.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 07:38   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Hi Rune,

Send me a PM if you come to this part of the world. We are currently busy with the teak deck of two Swans but any time after July or in winter is OK.
Otherwise, as Barnakiel has suggested be careful and if you are not familiar with this work , find someone who can give you candid advise; it' a big investment. We do a lot of teak and see all kind of woods and some terrible workmanship.

Cheers

Yeloya
Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 07:40   #6

Boat: Moody 44
Send a message via Skype™ to winckyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundOfSilence View Post
I have just started to look into the options of replacing my teak deck. Boat is located in the Valencia area in Spain and I wonder if anyone have any good/bad experiences with Spanish companies who do this type of work?
try contact Chris from Almerimar marine service, i know they do teak works and not so bad, if you are ok withhttps://www.almerimarmarine.com/ the Spanish siesta....!
winckyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 07:44   #7

CarstenWL: Thanks for the tip, but I would like to do it in Spain because I live there. This is so I can supervise the work.

Franziska: Yes, I have a production boat although not so common, it's a Grand Soleil 52 from 1991. I doubt they will have ready made panels for it...

barnakiel: 15+ years living in Spain. I don't know anybody who can do it well as I mostly have negative experiences. Refitting of the teak deck of the GS52 is quite a project as the teak is original and screwed down which means damaged areas underneath can be expected.
Old 29-04-2016, 07:50   #8

Boat: Island Packet 420

One Stop Yacht Care in Cartagena. See his website: onestopyachtcare.com.

A Brit who does great work for reasonable prices.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:06   #9

winckyst and sailing_gal: Yes, that is exactly the type of yards I was looking for. Many thanks, I will look further into both of them
Old 29-04-2016, 08:26   #10

Boat: Island Packet 420

John and his wife are helping me sail my boat across the pond, so he will probably not be available for at least 6 weeks. But if you contact him now, he could put you on his schedule.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:32   #11

Hi sailing_gal,

Ok, thanks for the info. I will do some more researching before I contact anybody. Refit will be this autumn/winter.
Old 29-04-2016, 10:04   #12

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

Hi

I have a 14.5 meter older classic schooner in Palma de Mallorca. She had a teak overlay on fiberglass deck with stainless steel fastenings. Over time stainless erodes and water gets into the balsa core - etc. etc. And I had many thru deck fittings and about 14 electric winches as well as hydraulic hose thru deck connections. A real nightmare.

So I found out about this company Ocean Refit in Palma. They took off all of the fittings, winches etc. etc., removed the old teak deck and then the outer layer of the fiberglass sandwich, only to find a rotten balsa core - which they also removed.

They replaced the core, then glassed that in and finally epoxy'd a new teak deck to the outer core layer. Then finally replaced selected deck fittings (I mean who needs 14 deck winches on a schooner!) mooring cleats, vents, etc., etc.

The price was less than 30,000 Euros! I was flabbergasted! They did a spectacular, professional job. The people were excellent and "knew their stuff". I couldn't be happier with the result.

I've had other work done on my Hinckley 50 yawl a couple of years back. Again, professional workmanship and fair price.

Here's the deal: Mallorca is a relatively small island and boat repair and maintenance is a major industry with lots of competition. Incompetents and scam artists don't last long because the boating community and word travels fast. The competition favors the best job for the lowest price.

If you're in Spain - Mallorca is where it's at!

Pat

HARDSHIP II (Palma)
CYGNUS (Mt Desert, Maine)
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 02:10   #13
TL2

Boat: Wauquiez PS40

In El campello Alicante, there is a guy doing this works very well.
I have seen many boats from the Comunity come here for this ki d of works.
If you are Interested let me know and I'll find the phone for you.
TL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 14:01   #14

That sounded like a job well done, thanks for the tip Pat! My first choice is to find a yard closer to Valencia where I live.

TL2: Does this guy have a company, any webpage I can visit?

Tags
deck, men, Spain, teak, teak deck