Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 11:22   #1

Teak Deck Replacement Time

I have a 10 years old teack deack that was screw on the top of the sandwich core deack. Now the majority of the screws are showing because of the abrasion of cleaning I guess.....once a week water and a bit of soap, but it looks that has been to agressive....I also had the problem with the sikka a the third year aprox....it became soft, very soft...they recaulk and we had to sand it ....another bad step......Now the sika is again soft sitcky etc....so it needs to be replace it. My calculations tells me that under the head of the screw we have only 3mm of teack, and the head is only 2 mm thick. So if I want to hide and seal the screw heads , I will have about 2-1 mm of wood under the head, and the cover about 1 mm. The deack professional tells me that the only correct solution is to replace the screwed deack with a new glued one that will solve everything in a long lasting form.....all other work will be a lost of time and money, just lasting a couple of years. I think that is probably true....and I am afraid of leaking throgh the screws, What is your opinion ?. Is there a sealent that I can use on the top of the sikka to avoid the black stainning for a few months , and then replace it ?

Thank you in advance.
Oriol LLena
4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:03   #2

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Re: Teak deack replacement time

If you're only looking to get protection while keeping the hull sealed up, you may want to just canvas it. Cut some duck canvas to size, fit it on the deck, tack it down, treat it with sizing compound and paint it with enamel. Alternatively, you could just use painters tape to keep the sika from making a mess all over the wood. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the best fix is to dish out the money and replace the teak.
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Teak deack replacement time

Why not just get rid of the teak decking and go with painted non skid or other non skid covering. Those 1,000s of holes in the deck are really really scary for the coring longevity. Replacing with a glued teak deck will solve the screw problem but still leave you with a teak deck that will be very expensive to install, a constant maintenance issue, still need an expensive replacement some years down the line and too hot to walk on on very hot sunny days.

Don't know what you used for a sealant in the planks. LifeCaulk or other Polysulfide shouldn't turn sticky. Sounds like you have a caulk that breaks down and gets gooey with long term exposure. Can't help you as all I can think of is using a solvent to remove the gooey part as there is hopefully non degraded caulk under the UV degraded outer layer.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20   #4

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Re: Teak Deck Replacement Time

the sika is a two part polyurethane, it possibly could have helped to have tried either the more traditional polysulfide (if you could find a supplier) or a different brand of modified polyurethane but if the deck really is getting that thin it won't help much in the long run now anyway.

If you do decide to just replace the deck (provided you have a bank account large enough to be capable of running a small government for a couple of months) you may want to try just cleaning the deck with a soft brush against the grain and a wash down with plain sea water. Depending upon the quality of the teak you could have gotten the deck to last a lot longer without using any soap or other cleaning products.
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:43   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

When (not if) the teak gets old and the time to replace it comes, then it comes. I have been on two top shelf GRP boats and one replaced the teak at 15 y.o. the other at 10 y.o.. IMHO, the first case was because her 'professional' crew did not know better, the other case the owner was pedantic about looks.

1) so my edu-guess is that 20+ years of life should be expected from a well done teak deck job,

Using wrong type of sealant is a NO NO NO. Use only the right stuff. All wrong stuff gets tacky sooner or later. Then it becomes a major issue to fix things up. I believe at least one type of proper compound exists and the one I am aware of is NOT a polyurethane.

2) at all costs avoid inadequate materials,

As someone above said already: use awnings to protect from rain and/or sun. And do a proper fix once you decide you want one.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:28   #6

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

We tore up our teak decks 3 years ago and filled all the little holes, sanded, glassed and painted.
It looks fantastic AND it is completely watertight and low maintenance.
No matter how you do it, teak will always wear out, its heavy and in the south pacific sun it gets so hot you can't walk on it.
Diva is noticeably cooler below without the teak decks !
I would never go back to teak.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:55   #7

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Our Contest 48 was built with 10mm-thick teak decks but after just 16 years, it was too thin to keep bungs in. We tore the teak off, put down three layers of fiberglass mat and painted it. For non-skid, we added Interlux's GripTex. Not only were we delighted with the appearance but the low maintenance and lack of 1,000's of holes has been a real benefit. Granted, this was very expensive but I think in the end it represents a good value.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:22   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

We've pulled teak, recored and reglassed a few decks. Since we've gone to vacuum bagging all of our glasswork, the time and labor for these jobs has cut drastically with much better layups. Screw holes in core lead to rot period, usually sooner than later. We also do teak replacement but it's very expensive. Money better spent elsewhere IMHO.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:29   #9

I have to say that I had always try to be very "kind" to my teak, the washing was done with a very soft brush and only with the soap and water that dropped from the cabin top that is "plastic", but it looks that has not been enough...(those where my instructions...)
I think that the main problem was caused by the bad batch of the material first used at placement, that need it replacement , I belived that was "that" polyurethane material, that is monocomponent, not bicomponent. At the first caulk replacement , excessive sanding was done....too many things that destroyed a nice teack deck....mmmm.
Yes is very expensive but I think I had "bad lock " with that batch of material. At that moment the company send me a replacement of the material for free. Once replaced may be that soap destroyed the polyurethane ....I was not always there during the washing of the boat....
Another really bad think was the teak was screw not glued.....and unfortunately the best option on the long run will be replace it with a new teack deck ...glued and done by very good professionals....Well I am very sad and hungry....but I don´t see other options....I cannot see the deck without the teak, and I really expect that beeing carefull will last 20 years.. I hope I am not crazy.....
Old 03-03-2013, 14:38   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

We use Teak Systems for our teak decks. Great folks, fabulous product and support.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:46   #11

about the caulking materials, here in Spain everybody uses de polyurethane material....the " marine carpenters" that will be doing the job they just restore wood boats and classical boats and they told me that the polyurethane works well.....
I will appreciate any suggestion on other materials.....

Tags
deck