Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2016, 17:23   #1

Depth Finder Refit...is Forwardscan worth it?

I have an ancient depthfinder on my 41 Gulfstar ketch, it works, but I would like to replace it with a good bottom scanner / fishfinder. I have been reading about the Lowrance Forwardscan transducer that can be added to one of their systems.

I have read in the past that some depth finders can be mounted in a fluid-filled chamber built to the inside of the hull.

So my questions revolve around these two concepts...

First, has anyone used a forward looking sonar on a sailboat and is it effective? If so please provide brand and other info that would help.

Second, any thoughts/experience/advice with the concept of building a fluid-filled chamber in which to mount the transducer instead of a through-hull?

Thanks so much.
WindJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:08   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Depth Finder Refit...is Forwardscan worth it?

Hi, Wind Junkie, yes forward looking depth sounders can do you a world of good, especially where the water is murky and the charts are poor. If you sail only in well charted waters, you can get by without one, just by paying close attention. With that said, however, we had a Probe on our 36 footer, where it had saved our bacon in the Solomons; therefore, Jim ordered one for this boat, as well, before we even owned it.

Sorry, I don't know about the other issue you mentioned.

Ann
Old 01-05-2016, 02:06   #3

Boat: Nordship 808
Re: Depth Finder Refit...is Forwardscan worth it?

I just fitted a Humminbird FishFinder in my boat (GRP).
It came with a heck tranducer in the box. I placed the transducer inside the hull in a good pool of Sikaflex and it works very well. (Besides of course the water temperature sensor).

This far I have been in up to 25 meters of water, and no problems whatsoever. I placed the transducer near the centerline, and I would guess that there is no core material there, but rather thick (GRP).
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, dsc, refit