Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 12:17   #1

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Stripping paint from textured fiberglass cabin ceiling liner?

My boat did not come with a great cabin paint job, the paint peels off in strips from the interior ceiling, which is a liner that has a random texture pattern on it. I suspect inadequate surface prep, but my question is how to remove the old paint and prep the surface without grinding/sanding/scraping off the texture pattern from this surface?

I was considering using 3M Roloc bristle discs. How about a paint stripper beforehand? How to to remove the residue since I can't power-wash inside the boat...

Any tips would be appreciated before I set off on this very dusty and dirty job for the next 2-3 days
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 13:47   #2

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Re: Stripping paint from textured fiberglass cabin ceiling liner?

No one has a better idea, huh? Gosh I'm going to hate this project.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 14:03   #3

Re: Stripping paint from textured fiberglass cabin ceiling liner?

Heat gun, wire brush. I wonder if Kiwi Grip paint might work well in that application? Sometimes acrylic or old fashioned paint just doesn't stick well in those applications and comes off in big strips or flakes. Kinda sounds like what you have.
I cant believe I would ever say this, but I wonder if a good exterior Latex house paint might be best for that type of application...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, fiberglass, paint