Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2022, 18:55   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Should I put a Ferris Wheel in my Fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
No, it is actually awesome.

I was doing my morning coffee and newspaper thing at my favorite diner this morning and, having finished the paper, but having a couple of sips of coffee left, starting pondering on the OPs idea.

One of those blinding flashes of inspiration, which had I been standing up would have driven me to my knees, struck me and I realized that the "ferris wheel" refrigerator configuration would be an excellent way to build a eutectic refrigerator.

Now, instead of using just an axle we have a cylindrical eutectic tank for the axle. Being in the middle it would be in proximity to all the buckets. It would not rotate and the bucket cage would have a number of cam rollers fitted in order to rotate around it.

If one then used a motor with a planetary gearbox and a worm drive on the bucket cage you could power rotate the buckets around and with a timer do so at intervals do that all the buckets experienced the colder part at the bottom of the box. This drive arrangement would be on a pinned attachment at the off worm end so that the cage and buckets could be rotated manually.

I think it's a brilliant idea and would implement it myself if I didn't have my fridge rebuild 3/4 parts done.

I was agreeing earlier with the Ferris wheel idea but in a higher tech application which I think some readers could not see. Of course the OP's picture would be a bit of a waste of space but the idea was good.
Then I saw your set up and thought,,,Brilliant! So I have planned to find some used 2/3 size X 8"s and 6"s deep steam trays. I'm hoping you post more soon!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 21:19   #47

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I was agreeing earlier with the Ferris wheel idea but in a higher tech application which I think some readers could not see. Of course the OP's picture would be a bit of a waste of space but the idea was good.
Then I saw your set up and thought,,,Brilliant! So I have planned to find some used 2/3 size X 8"s and 6"s deep steam trays. I'm hoping you post more soon!
I started a thread titled "Another Fridge Rebuild" which has a few images in it.
Old 31-07-2022, 23:08   #48

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms-gonesailin View Post
If you're like me and you've spent any amount of time with your legs sticking out of your fridge trying to reach whatever has just fallen to the bottom then you also probably thought there must be better way. And no getting a front opening fridge isn't an option. (I wish)

But! What if there was a food storage system that you could spin and bring the food from the bottom to the top! Like a ferris wheel... I'm half joking but also maybe there's something here. Photo for reference.

Maybe a organization class would be useful?
BYD
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 14:50   #49

Boat: Tripp 56

"Yeah, I love how people think top loading is so much more efficient because the cold air doesn't fall out...

But then they take 15min with the door open and half the contents sitting on the counter (warming up) as they dig for stuff.

I get that some boats simply don't have a place for a front loading fridge but for many it's penny wise, pound foolish. "

I could not agree more. I have a 2002 boat, and I can't believe they put top loading fridge in, not to mention the door opens up under a cupboard, complicating things hugely.
Coltrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 17:05   #50

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

A "beerlavator" works well to give quick and easy access to canned goods, beer and soda come to mind. A simple appropriately sized bit of pvc pipe mounted vertically with a thin hook under the stack of cans facilitates retrieval. A few holes in the sides gives good cooling.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 19:42   #51

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrek View Post
"Yeah, I love how people think top loading is so much more efficient because the cold air doesn't fall out...

But then they take 15min with the door open and half the contents sitting on the counter (warming up) as they dig for stuff.

I get that some boats simply don't have a place for a front loading fridge but for many it's penny wise, pound foolish. "

I could not agree more. I have a 2002 boat, and I can't believe they put top loading fridge in, not to mention the door opens up under a cupboard, complicating things hugely.

Can’t speak for the opening under a cupboard, our 1994 is free and clear to open. Seems like a design issue.

Top load makes sense to preserve power or ice.

We use Tupperware positive locking boxes. grouping like stuff together. Stacks great, even if near the bottom, extraction is 30 seconds. Drinks are on a side shelf, ten seconds.

No need to make more out of a challenge than need be.
Old 22-08-2022, 20:19   #52

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrek View Post

If this is what is happening to you than your refrigerator is too big or you have it poorly organized.

I have a top loading refer. I get into it every morning because my job is to make coffee and the beans are in the freezer, and I am supposed to re-stock the refer with water bottles. I know what I have to do and where stuff is in my refer and I can get to any of it in about 30 seconds. Yes, some stuff is on the counter, briefly, but it goes back in immediately and no large quantity of cold air spills out onto my feet. If it takes you two minutes (let alone 15) then you are lame and should get immediately to an old folks home.

Hell, after 15 minutes the coffee is done, the water bottles are replaced, the refer is long since closed back up and I'm half way through Morning Joe.

What is wrong with you?

Tags
ferris wheel, food storage, fridge, wheel